Square Circle Forum

The month of April is coming to an end, and with it the month's "Flag Challenge" is winding down.

We've had a lot of fun!

Here are some numbers regarding the results of this challenge so far:

• Total "flag squares" made:    303
  • Number of nations / ethnicities / symbols / logos represented: 154
  • Number of views of this forum topic:    8187
  • Number of photos on the flickr page:    179
  • Number of views of the flickr page:    862

If you want to keep on making flag squares, please do! I will continue to count them and post the photos on the flickr page.

Soon we will hear from Anne Powell about the May challenge - can't wait to hear what she's got up her sleeve!

Many thanks to everyone for your enthusiasm on this challenge!

Mary

Link to flickr photo page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/58924216@N00/sets/72157629328878316/

Link to flickr map of flags: http://www.flickr.com/photos/58924216@N00/sets/72157629328878316/map/

The April 2012 Challenge will be:

Flags of the World

Part of the beauty of the blankets that are made out of the squares we send to South Africa is the fact that in one blanket there may be squares from many countries of the earth.

We can celebrate this world, united through our handiwork, joined together into blankets.

The idea is to make squares inspired by flags. You don't necessarily have to replicate the flag - you can just make squares using the colors of the flag of your country, or "plain Jane" squares made with the colors of the flag, or of the flag of a country you love for any reason, or your best friend's home country, or the latest member of KAS's country.... anything!

And, of course, squares celebrating the beautiful colors of the flag of South Africa are always a hit!

Most flags are made from what I call "crayon colors", so I'm hoping these are colors that most people have in their yarn stash, and you won't have to go out to buy new wool.... ;-)

There are many many flags we can find inspiration in - google "world flags" and you can find lists, images and games! Here's an image I hope will give you a start:

Please check out this flickr set to see the flag squares that have been made so far:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/58924216@N00/sets/72157629328878316/

Views: 10697

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Mary... this is going to be a fun and interesting challenge!!

Can I make a suggestion??  Since thiings tend to get 'lost' in our gigantic Photo section, might we suggest that folks also post pictures of their squares right here in this discussion??  That way our beautiful flag squares will be easy for all to find.

Maybe you will start us off by posting, in this discussion,the photos of the wonderful ones you have already done???

Thank you for your comments and suggestions, Anne! Good idea!

This is the first time I am posting a challenge, so I really need everyone's help to get it right!

:-)

Here are some squares inspired by flags I have made so far:

Above: Japan, Croatia, and colors of South Africa

Above: Norway, European Union, USA, and Italy!

Above: Sweden, Spain, Turkey, and France!

Mary your squares are fabulous! Thank you so much for putting the challenge up. I'm really looking forward to this one x x x

Thank you, Kalai!

This is going to be fun!

xoxoxo !!!

Wow Mary your flags are brilliant!! And such a good idea for a challenge. I will get started on my English flag tonight :) xx

That's great, Charlotte! Have fun with it!

xoxo !!!

VERY NICE!!

These are all beautiful Mary!

These are wonderful Mary and a lot of hard work has gone into them.

Oh Canada..... Verse One

A large ball of red, a large ball of white and a dose of patriotism..... here are my first 6 squares.....

Since I am not talented enough to crochet our maple leaf, I used an applique of 'ecofelt'... neat stuff, washes well, dries fast . doesn't bleed, and keeps its shape..... and believe it or not, it is made from recycled plastic bottles!!

Wow!!! Those are super!!!

I have noticed that there are a lot of national flags made in red and white - a standout combination!

RSS

NEWS FLASH !

April 15,2014

The March Squares List is now available on the website:

www.knit-a-square.com

Click on ‘Received Squares”

Graphs may be found here

SQUARE SHOP

Paper for a Creche
Give the children the chance to share their creativity by providing paper to draw and write with.   Click here

Donations

Make a monthly donation:

Or make a one-time donation:

KasBlog

Read the latest KasBlog from Andrea :

APRIL'S COLOUR COLLISION

Please click here

PATTERN REVISIONS !

A NOTE ABOUT OUR PATTERN REVISIONS AND WHY THEY ARE IMPORTANT

This photo shows some excellent vests with good body length and generous armholes.  We are recommending having armholes 1/3, side seam 2/3 of total body length. 

To read more go to : 

Pattern Revisions

© 2014   Created by Sandy McDonald.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service