August Challenge - just a few more zebras ...August 2012 Lion square  African Animals - August Challenge AUGUST CHALLENGE - Friends

August challenge. Hippo

AUGUST CHALLENGE - another African fabric interpretation    African Butterfly Bush squares 2    August challenge square 1.a   
Giraffe with the Munchies   August 2012 Challenge, Zebra design  August challenge   

Welcome everyone to the August challenge.

Please join us on an African safari.

We can explore the magnificent wildlife and colourful marine life of this fascinating continent.

Let us also discover the unique beauty of African cloth. Bright colours, geometric shapes and bold designs.....and it doesn't all have to be in the one square.

It would be great to see lots of bright and cheery 'plain janes' in this challenge. For those of us who aren't familiar with this term...it is a square of single colour and simple stitch....garter, single/double crochet or any basic stitch that produces a fairly solid square without too many 'gaps'.

A HUGE thank you to Mary, who has added this challenge to her Flickr account on behalf of KAS. Mary, we really appreciate the time and effort you put in each month to ensure KAS reaches more and more people.http://www.flickr.com/photos/58924216@N00/sets/72157630841386360/

You need to be a member of Square Circle Forum to add comments!

Join Square Circle Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Elephant 2012 2868314021?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

• I am sorry I am so late with this, Bev, my August has not been wonderful, but this blanket represents a cherished memory which I wanted the children to have.   Thank you for the African challenge, I hope we can re-visit it sometime :D

2930164107?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

• August Challenge - African Design

Sorry guys...hopefully it is still August somewhere in the world. Was just trying to finish this last time consuming square...fell asleep with it in my hands just after midnight (my time)...then this morning couldn't get the webpage to come up...sorry Anne...this is definitely it. :))

Today its sunny...so tried photographing this square indoors and outdoors...think I got the truer colours, indoors. Bright orange, strong, bright blue and deep, but bright purple.....this was the closest I could get!!

Oops!! Just realised I chopped off the bottom of the square in this photo...the pattern is centred in the square. :)

I saved this spectacular square til last.....a true beauty from Linda Maltby...to whom I would like to say a huge THANK YOU for helping me out with such gorgeous squares.

• Some variegated wool squares and thrift store finds. The green/brown squares and pastel square are made from Laurie's wool -- so cosy and soft!

2886702398?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

• August Challenge - African Animals

The most secretive and elusive of the large carnivores, the leopard is also the shrewdest.

Leopards come in a wide variety of coat colors, from a light buff or tawny in warmer, drier areas to a dark shade in deep forests. The spots, or rosettes, are circular in East African leopards but square in southern African leopards. .
    The left square represents the darker colour combo of a forest dwelling leopard and the fawn square represents the lighter colours...and the attempt (LOL) at squares and circles on this square represents the different shaped spots to be found on leopards dwelling in different areas of Africa Wow! I almost wrote a book...lol.

• 2930166986?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

• August Challenge - African animals

Silhouette of a jungle cat in a tree at sunset, beautifully needle-felted by Kym.

A stunning African design square from Linda Maltby.

This reply was deleted.