Welcome, everyone, to the August 2015 theme!

I'm excited to be hosting for the first time.

Do you have any of these colours in your stash?

You do? Then you can begin a square for this theme immediately!

This month we are focusing on the international community of KAS.

Squares are sent from all over the world and are joined together, with love, to warm hundreds of children.

The August theme will explore the different flags of the countries across the world.

Most of the flags use bold, plain colours and simple, straight-line stripes.

This theme provides something for everyone!

Those of you who love to make our 'backbone' square - the Plain Jane - can delight in the bright, crayon-box colours, whilst those of you who really love a challenge could get your creative juices running around some of the more complex flags, such as Swaziland or Sri Lanka!

Many flags are blocks of straight-line stripes - ideal for either knitters or crocheters.

Here are each continent's flags in more detail:

We last completed this theme/challenge back in April 2012 and KASers came up with some amazing squares - both those which were direct representations of flags and those which were inspired by the colours. Here's a selection from back then:

I thought we'd have a mini-challenge running within this theme.

I also thought that it would be interesting to see how many countries are represented through the contributions of forum members to this discussion - watch this space for more details!

Resident Country       No. of members contributing

Canada                            6

Australia                         3                                          

U.K.                                 10     (7 England, 2 Wales, 1 Scotland)

South Africa                    1

Czech Republic               1

Greece                            1

Switzerland                     1

U.S.A                               5

Netherlands                    1

New Zealand                  1

Italy                                1

Hong Kong                     1

Croatia                           1

The links to the two photo albums are here:

http://forum.knit-a-square.com/photo/albums/august-2015-vol-1-flags-the-international-kas-community

http://forum.knit-a-square.com/photo/albums/august-2015-vol-2-flags-the-international-kas-community

[Please don't forget also to add your photos to the main photo section (through your own page) so that they can be added to this album.]

The wonderful Anne Powell has also set up our Pinterest board here:

https://www.pinterest.com/anne1464/flags-of-the-world-knit-a-square...

Happy 'flagging'!

You need to be a member of Square Circle Forum to add comments!

Join Square Circle Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• 2930309984?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

Finally I have completed all the squares for my ambitious "South Africa Flag" blanket. I missed the August Flag theme by good 2 months, lol

• I set myself, what I thought, was a modest target for this month......a jumper for KAS and four squares for August......have only completed the front and back of the jumper......have finally completed the four squares in the wee hours of this morning.....camera has distorted some of the colours....as usual.  :)) Where did the month go????

'Thinking outside the square'.....pardon the pun.....colours of SA flag.......with map of Africa, featuring SA.

August 2015 Theme - Flags- The International Community of KAS

• Sharon Fennell posted this gorgeous blanket:

"Slightly delayed just missed the end of the month, the union jacks took longer than anticipated - not sure where the month went! Plain squares have been completed in Karen Bennett's tuck stitch. Hopefully the flat edge will help the curl on flags."

Flag theme blanket

• Last flag. Finished only this morning. Bosnia Herzegovina.

Paola Ferrari has just completed the flag for Bosnia and Herzegovina.

• Still more flags!

Fanny Blakely has posted the following flag squares:

EGYPT

Egypt

TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO

Trinidad and Tobego

LIBERIA

Liberia

DOMINICAN REPUBLIC

Dominican Republic

CAPE VERTE

Cape Verde

BULARIA

Bulgaria

PANAMA

Panama

REPUBLIC OF THE CONGO

Republic of the Congo

UNITED STATES

USA

BOLIVIA

Bolivia

• Waving United States of America

Had this almost finished 3 weeks ago, but put it on the back burner until I felt like weaving all the ends in.  Finally, finished it today.  It's not a true interpretation of what the USA flag looks like; I made it "waving".  

The stars are against a navy blue although it looks black in this photo.

2930312107?profile=RESIZE_480x480

• WELL! WHAT CAN I SAY?

This theme has been brilliant!

Thank you so much to all of you for your amazing efforts, not only in producing the most beautiful selection of flags but also for all the interesting information you've also included.

It really has been a very educational theme! Very well done to everyone!

2965305922?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

• A few more flags...

Philippines

2930312492?profile=original

Myanmar (Burma)

2930312394?profile=original

Libya

2930312074?profile=original

Egypt

2930312417?profile=original

Macedonia

2930311961?profile=original

• 2886775553?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

Flag of Morrocco, my 18th one. I will make 17 PJ's, the flags will stand out then in the blanket.

Heather, Thank you so much for leading this month's theme so perfectly well and with so much enthousiasm and creativity. Thanks to your mini competition I made 18 flag squares, which was a challenge on its own, and we all together made more than 103 different flags!!! You really are a Team Builder!!!

Also this month you managed to make a complete blanket with beautiful and not the easiest flags, congrats to you! Last but not least, I admire your spirit and your love for the children. xo and Hugs :)

• A blanket in the colours of the South African flag

2930312893?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

This reply was deleted.