Square Circle Forum

Into the new year with an eviction notice and a collapsed ceiling … NOT the way one imagines starting off, but we are looking on the bright side in any event !

On 20th December, while Peter and I were enjoying a relaxing holiday in the Cape with all our  immediate family members, Wendy received the news that we may need to vacate the office premises so kindly allowed to us, free of charge, by Robert.  Exactly a week later that possibility became an urgent reality and KAS needed to be “out” within a week !!

Of course, it was always going to happen, but deep down I think we turned a blind eye to the thought - as one does – and just hoped our tenuous tenure would continue for ever.  We have enjoyed every moment of being at 170 Grosvenor Road and are most grateful for the period of growth and confidence it brought to Knit-a-Square SA.

We now look forward to a new era.

At this moment, Knit-a-Square SA is “housed” in four different places … thanks to our amazing volunteers who leapt into the breech, press-ganged their families into helping and managed the enormous physical effort of removing KAS, lock, stock and barrel, from its lodgings and disperse it four ways !!  And they did it all without breathing a word to me, for fear of spoiling my relaxing holiday !  This is LOVE !!!! 

Wendy has gone away for a week’s well-deserved rest, and once she is back we will look for new solutions to the question of how to find suitable new premises for KAS SA in 2014.

In the meantime, I spent yesterday cleaning out the garage with the help of Oti’s nephews, Bheki and Prince, and we have made a fresh home for KAS there, for as long as is needed.

This is as good a time as any to explain that Peter and I arrived home on Saturday to a lounge without any ceilings … sometime before 20th December they apparently collapsed into the lounge, amazingly only causing real damage to one lamp and the central light fitting … aside from dirt and dust everywhere. 

We are so blessed to have Oti … as soon as she came back from her holiday in Zimbabwe (and the insurance assessors had been here) she got stuck into cleaning up and although we arrived home to some hazardous bits of steel hanging down and an ugly view of the insulating aerolite, we are able to use the lounge as normal !

And we have been able to use the erstwhile ceiling boards to “line” the floor of the garage, so as to protect our KAS items from dust and dirt … it’s an “ill wind” indeed …. !!

The lounge roof nows resides in our yard!

So, dear KASfriends  … all will be well, despite this series of mishaps ! 

As soon as our ceilings are repaired, we will set about relieving our mentors of their KASburdens by collecting and bringing them back to Fourways … and we are hopeful that opening days will re-commence, as normal, from Thursday 16th January. 

Post will be collected as usual … no problems there !

Thanks for your thoughts and prayers and for your amazing, ongoing support in so many different ways … everyone here sends their best wishes to each of you for a

HAPPY NEW YEAR !!!

Views: 927

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What a shame, good luck with the clean up and move. Our thoughts are with you

Thanks Christine, every kind thought is bound to hit the mark!  Ronda is a wonderful soul and by my reckoning should be voted the Eternal Optimist of the Year!  

Oh I second that thought immediately Pam.  What a shock to see all this happen at once...I do hope Ronda's ceiling is not a big expensive fix.  Was there a leak in the roof that precipitated the collapse? I ask because we had to replace our house and garage roofs a few years ago-well we rebuilt a wonky bit but the rest was fine and we reshingled/covered it with new stuff and new roof vents.  I'm so glad we did, no leaks but it's not cheap.

I will of course pray for solutions for all this but am amazed how fast Ronda got into converting their garage to KAS Temporary HQ.  That woman does not know the meaning of the word quit or discouraged!  I'd love to hug her then get in there and help out.  I am imagining a work party or two at her house in the near future.   I believe a new permanent home for KAS is coming, I feel it.  So the search will be on.  Have faith, have hugs and smiles and we'll all get through this.  Consider us your overseas prayer and good thoughts Brigade!

I will visualize a new abode for Kas every night before I go to sleep, Good people deserve good things to Happen to them so it wont be long and team Kas will be all set up once again... Love and Blessings to the team and hope all goes well very soon for you

That is an excellent suggestion Mandi - if we see it in our minds eyes, we'll believe it, and, it will happen!

Thanks for being so willing to make such a kind & thoughtful effort of KAS!

This is certain to be only a temporary set back.....and how great is Ronda's positive attitude...this is the reason why KAS goes from strength to strength....she  uplifts and inspires so many in the face of each and every adversity.

Oh my goodness! What a start to 2014! However based on the assumption that, when the work is Divinely commissioned and blessed, then  "all things work together for good" So my prayer is that this will result in even better provision for Rhonda and for KAS in 2014.  

Tis said when one is doing Gods work too well then the opposition steps in to make things harder.. what he doesn't realise is that he just makes one even more determined to trust in the Lord , step out ,not on the water in this case but on the lounge room ceiling and get on with the job.. Oh Rhonda  our hearts and our love go over to you , you are an inspiration to us all and the work that you and your army of volunteers do is just aweinspiring... May this coming year be only good , bringing with it all KAS needs to function in the best possible way.. Bless you all..

How true!

I agree. My mind was turning the same way Elaine..."we must be doing something good to get all this opposition!"

Ronda, I just know that with your faith and your sunny disposition (and that of your marvelous team) everything will work out, even though the two 'disasters' sound devastating.

If there's one thing to be grateful for in all of this, it's the fact that you did move to office premises and there was not a team of unpackers in your lounge when the ceiling came down.

We'll be praying for a speedy solution to all of this and a wonderful year ahead for KAS

Absolutely have to agree with Pam, at least when the ceiling came down no one was present in the room so fortunately the disaster was injury free.

I also admire Ronda's optimistic view that at least the boards from the ceiling can be used to 'floor' the garage so all is not lost.

I was also saddened to hear that the office space has been lost to KAS, all that lovely room was no doubt a great benefit in opening, sorting and storing all the squares, completed blankets, garments and other slip ins. I will keep my fingers crossed that something else might come up soon.

God bless all the volunteers that chipped in and got all the KAS goodies moved and stored so quickly and efficiently in order to not spoil Ronda's holiday too.

Lets hope 2014 can only improve from here!

RSS

NEWS FLASH !

COURIER SERVICES

Here is an outline of what the team are dealing with in regard to courier services.

Please click here for Courier Services discussion

Donations

Make a monthly donation:

Or make a one-time donation:

SQUARE SHOP

Send                               Season's Greetings"                         with  a                            KAS Christmas card.

Click Here.

christmascards

PATTERN REVISIONS !

A NOTE ABOUT OUR PATTERN REVISIONS AND WHY THEY ARE IMPORTANT

This photo shows some excellent vests with good body length and generous armholes.  We are recommending having armholes 1/3, side seam 2/3 of total body length. 

To read more go to : 

Pattern Revisions

KasBlog

Read the latest KasBlog from Andrea :

THE KNIT(-A-SQUARE) RETREAT

Please click here

Ronda on the Radio!

20th June 2014

LISTEN TO RONDA !

Ronda was interviewed live on Radio Veritas at 08h30 on 20th. Tune in to 576MW or DSTV channel 870

Direct Link

click on the sound symbol on the left side of moving grey line!

© 2014   Created by Sandy McDonald.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service