Square Circle Forum

In the book, How the Grinch Stole Christmas  by Dr. Seuss, the Grinch stole Christmas from the people of Who-ville. 

In South Africa, disease and poverty stole childhood from millions of children.

Can we displace the Grinch in a child’s life?

Just for a moment?

Christmas gift making is starting early ! 

Ronda requested more time to prepare the blankets before the holiday season arrives.

Besides themed squares, we also need many, many Plain Janes to complete a blanket.  Please do not be deterred by the fancy square.  We would love to see how you are using Christmas colours to warm a cold child.  A square made with red, green and/or white would be quite striking.  Variegated Christmas yarns also make interesting squares

A few reminders: 

• Please securely butterfly  a 20”/50 cm tail to each square and bundle squares into lots of 5 or 10, to help the sewers in South Africa.
  • Your parcel does not need to arrive in South Africa before the end of the month.   When your parcel arrives in the next few months, know it will be appreciated and that you are keeping children warm.
  • Would you upload your photos to the photo page as well as to this challenge. (Not sure how to add a photo? Click here then scroll to “How do I add a Photo to a discussion” )
  • After uploading your photos, please go to The Drive To Fill Ronda’s KASvan and add to the squares tally.

Marvellous Mary has set up Flickr.  Great place to see all the photos together and spread the word !

Gracious Gitta has set up the Christmas Album. There are so many wonderful squares that Gitta has opened a Second Christmas Album

Tags: Christmas, June, KAS, challenge, children, orphaned, squares

Views: 8778

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I had such a great time hosting the Christmas challenge last year I thought I would do it again :-)  There were so many wonderful squares and equally wonderful conversations.

It is a hot day here in Canada and I am having a difficult time getting my head around the weather outside and thinking about Christmas. Christmas for me means cold, crisp temperatures and fluffy snow.  This must be what you in the southern hemisphere, associate with Christmas!  I shall pretend I live in …South Africa ?…..Australia ?...New Zealand ?

And I shall pretend I am in Canada, Linda..... a couple of weeks of intermittent rain (some heavy showers), grey skies and chilly mornings/nights and I am ready to migrate....lol.

I have just made a late dash into town to pick up a few veges for tea and have been confronted with Winter celebrations. I forgot that our town is promoted as the "Winter something-or-other of the south-west" and the various groups and organisations around town have a month of celebrations planned. There were carollers singing Christmas carols up on a stage and I think there is an outdoor concert planned for tonight. (Carollers were all in their nice bright red winter coats and I imagined how this is probably very familiar to you).

The businesses hang blue fairy lights on their shop fronts and there are snowmen-shaped freestanding noticeboards advertising events and news outside the stores. It is good for the town as it has been running for a few years now and being a long weekend in WA people have made the journey here.

My sympathies trying to get enthusiastic about knitting/crocheting in hot weather, hopefully those of us in cooler climates will pick up the pace and help you out.  :))

It sounds like lots of fun Bev! Celebrating the seasons, Christmas or not, is always good for the moral and the economy! :)

HoHo Bev !   That is definitely more like Christmas for me :-)  This will certainly get you in the mood.

Here are the first squares for the Christmas challenge from Robin.  She has been very busy!

They are all so beautiful !!  I love how they compliment each other.  She has also made an adorable hat..June 2013 Christmas Squares Set #1

June 2013 Christmas Squares Set #2
June 2013 Christmas Hat

Absolutely fabulous squares and hat Robin! So much to inspire us all!

Simply gorgeous, Robin!!!!!! I LOVE ALL your squares......and the Christmas hat is beyond cheery....your talent is amazing.

Such a beautiful collection!  Wow!

Your squares and the hat are absolutely gorgeous Robin :)

Wonderful - and so cheery.  Love the different designs and what you can achieve with just 3 colours. .  

Thanks so much Linda for leading this challenge (only your 3rd this year???)! You are wonderful! Your intro with the Grinch is, as our cousins say, spot on!

I am a real Christmas nut so I am going to enjoy every day of this challenge even if I don't get much knitting done myself!

THANK YOU for putting your hand up yet AGAIN, Linda....here am I starting to bite my nails at the thought of my first and only challenge due in August!!! You are a STAR!!!!! Like Laurie, I am not sure how much I will be able to contribute this month (due to work commitments), but I will certainly give it my best shot....the children and yourself deserve nothing less.   :))

RSS

NEWS FLASH !

18 November 2014

New to the forum? Having trouble Navigating?

Click on the Helpful Hints tab in the Menu Bar at the top of any page and choose:

FAQ - all about squares

HOW DO I? - all about using the forum

POSTAGE - all about sending squares

QUESTIONS & ANSWERS - link to discussion if your question is not answered in the other three.

Donations

Make a monthly donation:

Or make a one-time donation:

SQUARE SHOP

Send                               Season's Greetings"                         with  a                            KAS Christmas card.

Click Here.

christmascards

PATTERN REVISIONS !

A NOTE ABOUT OUR PATTERN REVISIONS AND WHY THEY ARE IMPORTANT

This photo shows some excellent vests with good body length and generous armholes.  We are recommending having armholes 1/3, side seam 2/3 of total body length. 

To read more go to : 

Pattern Revisions

KasBlog

Read the latest KasBlog from Andrea :

THE KNIT(-A-SQUARE) RETREAT

Please click here

Ronda on the Radio!

20th June 2014

LISTEN TO RONDA !

Ronda was interviewed live on Radio Veritas at 08h30 on 20th. Tune in to 576MW or DSTV channel 870

Direct Link

click on the sound symbol on the left side of moving grey line!

© 2014   Created by Sandy McDonald.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service