In Soweto, South Africa, June 16, 1976, about ten thousand black school children marched in a column more than half a mile long, protesting the poor quality of their education and demanding their right to be taught in their own language. Hundreds of young students were shot, the most famous of which being Hector. More than a hundred people were killed in the protests of the following two weeks, and more than a thousand were injured.

The Day of the African Child has been celebrated on June 16th every year since 1991, when it was first initiated by the Organization of African Unity (now the African Union) to commemorate the 1976 Soweto protests.

The AU is Africa's premier institution and principal organization for the promotion of accelerated socio-economic integration of the continent, which will lead to greater unity and solidarity between African countries and peoples.

This day is recognized throughout the world on June 16th as an opportunity to reflect on progress toward health, education, equality and protection for all the African children.

38 million children of primary school age in Africa still remain out of school.

Be as creative as you would like for this challenge.   Just about anything goes, and as always, our foundation Plain Jane (PJ) squares are greatly appreciated in any pattern and color.

Please remember to post photos of your beautiful work in this discussion forum as well as in your photo gallery, and add your squares to the KAS Reaches Great Heights for Children:

http://forum.knit-a-square.com/forum/topics/kas-reaches-great-heights-for-children

Anne will be setting up the June Pinterest board (thanks Anne!!!) which can be reached from here:

http://www.pinterest.com/anne1464/ 

I will be periodically adding everyone's pictures to the June photo gallery here:

http://forum.knit-a-square.com/photo/albums/june-2014-challenge-day-of-the-african-child

HAVE FUN EVERYONE!!!

P.S.  I'm still on vacation, so I'll do my best to keep up until I return some time around June 6th.

You need to be a member of Square Circle Forum to add comments!

Join Square Circle Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• One last alpha square for June (I'm sure I will be adding additional letters in July!)

June 2014 C is for Cherry

• Musical Lamb Square

See video here:
    www.youtube.com/embed/KKknjXcaW9M?rel=0

2930254422?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

• 2930254071?profile=RESIZE_320x3202930254257?profile=RESIZE_320x320One last contribution to this challenge .... all those wonderful African Flower Squares were so beautiful, and I kept wanting to make one, as well.   Once I had finally finished the letters and numbers, I got to treat myself with a couple African Flowers.

Thanks to Robin for this challenge, and to all those who made such beautiful squares!

• 2930254370?profile=original2930253882?profile=original2930254159?profile=originalThe last letter square, and the numbers.

• 2930254056?profile=original2930254129?profile=originalI was remiss yesterday and didn't get pictures of any alphabet squares posted, so will have to double up today to finish the letters - well, almost finish the letters, Z will have to go in the row with some numbers.  

• A fantastic alphabet Sharon !  As a wall hanging it would be a terrific educational tool plus very tactile.

X can be a stand alone letter for " X marks the spot" :-) Perhaps  Quail for Q if you don't like the idea of a crown [I agree it should be C]

Zebra is the obvious choice for Z but may I suggest Zebu, miniature cattle imported to Africa many years ago.  It is found in S.A.... Want to give you all the options :-)

FC1.jpg

• 2886745616?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024Here's my last batch for June. 

Much love to you all! Xxxx

• I am new here so I really don't know how to enter the challenge but I wanted to share Micah's Pocket Pals just for fun. Excuse the note 'Photo Text' and my poor worn out table. It has seen a lot of crafts.2868352853?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

• I have only managed 1 square for the challenge this month-African Flower Square-but 1 more is better than none at all I say!!!!!!!!2930254301?profile=original

• 2930254501?profile=originalHere is row three of the alphabet section.

This reply was deleted.