Square Circle Forum

KAS FINANCES - URGENT APPEAL

APPEAL FOR DISTRIBUTION FUNDS

Ronda has been in touch to let us know her concerns regarding the lack of funds in the KAS bank account. Ronda urgently requires funds to be able to carry out the winter distributions to the children, these distributions are due to start within the next few weeks before the weather becomes too cold.

Here is a message direct from Ronda;

Sadly the flood was costly in terms of cleaning costs and re-organising the office so that nothing stands on the floor, ie. bringing in a whole bunch of shipping pallets etc.  Not to mention room and fabric sprays to help with the appalling smell of damp wool which seemed not to go away despite our running all the room fans for two solid weeks!!!

In Rand terms it costs us between R30,000 and R35,000 per month to run KAS. That would be approximately $2600 or £2100 at current exchange rates.  We have been receiving between $800 - $1500 via PAYPAL for many months now, so have eaten into our reserves each month. We have approximately 12 regularly monthly donors The bank account it is the lowest it has been in many years ”

As you can see there is a huge shortfall each month between the amount of money it takes to run KAS and the amount Ronda receives via PayPal donations. Today we are launching an appeal on behalf of Ronda to raise urgently needed distribution funds. Without these funds KAS cannot complete its wonderful work.

YOU CAN HELP BY:

• Making a purchase from the KAS shop. There are numerous options to choose from with prices starting from $5. 

The KAS Shop is a direct donation to a child through Knit-a-Square.

• By making a one off donation through PayPal (please use the button on the right side of the forum pages)

• By setting up a monthly subscription to KAS. Subscriptions start from $5 each month. (please use the subscribe button on the right side of the forum pages)

Don't have Paypal - You can still help

If you don't have paypal you can still contribute. The follow moderators are able to collect cheques payments and forward these to  Ronda.

Helen Flagg (USA)

Bev Jeffery ( Australia )

Louise Tidman (UK)

Please leave you details on the discussion below or contact the Mod to arrange this.

Going forward...... What can we do ?

As some of our older forum members will be aware, we have had to request for funds previously. Since moving into rental premises, KAS outgoings have increased, but so has KAS and it is not practical or realistic for KAS to be run from Ronda's home. Unfortunately grants are not easily obtainable. Ronda and her team are doing their best to try and win these and also search for cheaper premises. But both are not easy tasks.

Can you imagine what a relief it would be to Ronda and her team if we could all sign up to a monthly donation of $5,this would give her the stability. KAS operates on a shoestring budget and not a penny is wasted. Every penny really counts.

Look at how many forum member we have and if we all gave $5 dollars a month just imagine how many children Ronda could help and the security it would give KAS to keep going. So please ,please , please can you consider doing this.

We all know that KAS really does make a difference on the ground to these children.KAS Supplied blankets to 6000 children last year.

And finally .....

If any forum members have any ideas to help raise funds these would be welcomed by the Moderators. Please share on the discussion below or contact a moderator directly.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and your support. Together we can help and make a difference to these children's lives.

Views: 9002

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sharon, you are so kind!!!  I guess we won't bother to tell folks that the instructions may not have been quite so easy to follow or the patterns quite so accurate if it hadn't been for your incredible editing and pattern-testing skills ... LOL   This little book is definitely a joint effort ;))) xo

I just did the same Joan and got Gloria's book - do not even know how to crochet, yet - It comes autographed??

And sponsor 2 more kids on distribution day. 

Tunisian crochet is slightly different to other crochet. I know it uses a longer hook, but don't know much else. 

Ailsa,  Gloria Grandy and Sharon B are our TC experts, I'm sure they will provide you with more information.   If you're thinking of having a go, Gloria has written a beginners guide to TC using the basic stitches. It's for sale in the KAS shop as a pdf for $7.

Diana, your generosity is awesome, thank you.   Good luck with the TC, I'm sure Glo and Sharon B will answer any questions you may have.  Looking forward to seeing your TC creations.  xo

Joan, thank you so much for your support, Ronda will be sending an email of thanks to you very soon. :)))

Good luck with the Tunisian crochet, looking forward to seeing what you make.  Jude's TC hooks still haven't arrived, she's not too pleased!!   xo

Thank you Joan,Tunisian Handwarmers next then ? No pressure. thank you for supporting KAS xox

A great big HUGE THANK YOU! to everyone who has purchased our TC book.  I am absolutely thrilled that some of you have decided to try TC!!!!  

If you want to give it a try, you can start with just a few stitches (maybe 10) and practice on a regular straight crochet hook.  

I probably shouldn't speak for Sharon (but I will :) ... she and I will be only to happy to answer any questions or help in any way we can!  xo

I've just been looking at the book Gloria, you may well regret your offer of help :))) xx

Not at all, Joan.  Ask me anything you like.  If I can't answer, we'll just contact Sharon ... tee hee hee ...

This could be a lot of fun :))) xo

I second Gloria's words.   We will be happy to help as best we can ... Will we be separated by a common language?  

When I first tried TC I had a little difficulty handling the long hook, but eventually all worked out.   So, like Gloria said, while waiting for your real TC hooks to arrive, you can try it on a regular crochet hook that has a straight shaft.  Making a strip on 10-12 stitches is about 1/3 of a KAS square.   So try 3 different stitches and just attach together in the end for 1 square.

Great Fun Ensues.

It has now been a week since we started our fundraising appeal.

We would like to thank everyone who has helped towards the success of this. You have been all so generous.

To date we have raised

$9153.65  in donations and shop purchases

We have received 46 new subscriptions, making a total of 58 subscriptions.

Whilst this is really fabulous, we still need to keep going.

It costs $2600 dollars a month to keep KAS running, this does not allow for any spare money for unexpected expenditure, for example the floods.

You need to be aware that unless we continue with our fundraising KAS will be back to crisis again in a few month.

Why is there the need for this money ?

In the early years of KAS, the running costs were very low, Ronda worked from her home and did not have the rental expense. However now they have to pay for the rental space as KAS has out grown Ronda’s home.

The current premises does suit Ronda’s needs for access space and is safe and secure.Whilst Ronda continues to look for cheaper premises that would be more suitable, this has not been a successful search so far.

Like all Charities, we now need to keep fundraising at the front of our minds to support KAS and this will be very important to keep KAS going.

We all love to make and send our items but if KAS isn’t financially supported it won’t be sustainable and will be forced to close. None of us which to see this happen.

Ronda and her team distributed 6000 blankets 2016 and with our financial support they will be able to reach the same amount of vulnerable desperate children again this year.

A large number of people  around the world send squares to KAS , but only a small minority help to fund the wonderful work that KAS does. Our  monthly subscriptions are a real blessing to Ronda as this helps to give her stability and plan ahead.

A  number of the contributors are non forum members and are putting plans and actions  in place to reach out to them to provide them with updates on  position with KAS.

Very shortly we will be opening up a fundraising discussion and we will share ideas for fundraising.  We really do appreciate everyone's ideas and will be looking into each and everyone of them.

If we all work together as a team we can support KAS to maintain their wonderful work for many years to come.

RSS

KNIT-A-SQUARE SOUTH AFRICA

DONATE DIRECTLY to

KNIT-A-SQUARE SA

Monthly donation:

Image result for please images

Please go directly to the Donate page HERE as the Subscribe button below is experiencing difficulties !

[To view other options, Click on Option 1]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One time donation:

FINANCIAL REPORT

Since the start of our appeal in March 2017 we have raised $17484.

This is really helping to give KAS financial stability

Thank you all !!!

Link : LATEST KAS FINANCIAL UPDATE 

SHOP

VISIT THE KAS SHOP

HERE

KAS MERCHANDISE

CLICK HERE

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK

here 

HELPFUL HINTS

New to the forum?

Please click on

HELPFUL HINTS tab

at the top of this  

page

HAVE A QUESTION?             

Please click here

SQUARES LIST

The May 2017 Squares List is available.

Please visit the website http://www.knit-a-square.com and click on "Received Squares"

© 2017   Created by Sandy McDonald.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service