Square Circle Forum

CURRENT FINANCIAL REPORT

Postal costs for incoming parcels has risen alarmingly since mid-April because of a new rule that ALL overseas parcels attract the customary handling fee and that has been increased to R51.50 PER PARCEL[$3.74USD].  In past years the fees were lower and graduated (ie. R24.00[$1.74USD] for a small parcel / R40[$2.91USD] for a large parcel) but that has been changed. 

In the past only around 20% of the incoming parcels attracted the levy, now ALL parcels are included in the calculation. So, for instance, in the past KAS would normally pay between R750[$54.52USD] and R1500[$109.03USD] for an incoming postal collection, this week Ronda paid R2200.00[$159.91USD]and on at least two occasions in late April and May she paid approximately R3500[$254USD].

It is unfair, but the postal authorities have spotted a lucrative gap in the system and they are completely unmoved by a charitable enterprise being penalized.  These are not customs tariffs, KAS never pays those - they send parcels back for re-assessment and they always come back free of customs.

The bank balance reduces monthly as costs to run KAS this year have risen[see graph] We are looking for ways to cut costs, but with PO charges going up, with fuel costs increasing dramatically in SA and generally prices rising across the board ... KAS needs your support

Our monthly donors continue to be the backbone of financial support

for Knit-a-Square. 

These monthly donations allow KAS to continue to serve the children of South Africa. 

Thanks to generous one-time donations and numerous purchases in the KAS Shop, the May total has surpassed our expectations.

However, Ronda is being hit with a charge for every parcel arriving at the moment - the postal services are trying to make a profit at our expense! We will need extra help financially until such time this issue can be resolved. The most effective method is a regular subscription as this develops a sense of growth and hitting a target more likely!

Views: 3090

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Sarah,  thanks so much for looking to increase your donation.  The easiest way is to cancel the present one and create a new monthly donation.  Also, PayPal charges for each transaction so one rather than two monthly donations means a few more pennies for KAS rather than PP.

That's very valuable to know, I will go check mine.

Many people have 'gone shopping' in support of the stipend for Thomas.   

This will be so helpful in keeping Thomas as Ronda’s right hand.  Thomas loves his work at Knit-a-Square.   To find out more, read Leanne’s chat with Thomas in  THAT WARM FUZZY FEELING, July 3 report. 

You can still contribute to Thomas’ stipend by purchasing in the Shop:  Support Thomas HERE

Or by making a monthly donation [see Subscribe button on right side of page]

Thanks Linda, the graph shows how wonderful our members and supporters are - KAS and Ronda need to retain his skills and support!

Thank you to those who are donating monthly.  Thank you as well to those who have started a monthly donation during June.  Monthly subscriptions are helpful in budgeting.

One time donations and Shop purchases are also important in keeping KAS viable. With the ongoing support from members, KAS will continue to bring comfort and warmth to ‘our’ children.

How the monthly income has been received:

Wonderful to see our members (who are able to donate) are getting behind Thomas and appreciating all he does for KAS. I will be directing my July donation towards maintaining his valuable services.

Thank you Linda for this valuable information.  With so many prices on the rise in SA, these graphs give us a true picture of what is needed to keep supplying children with warm blankets.

Thank you Linda for the graphs. It gives a clear overview. It figures look good and I am glad to see that  the appeal to support Thomas works.

I agree with everyone, these graphs really help me see what's going on. I'm delighted to see some donations going towards Thomas's stipend, so I've gone to the shop and expect that will show up in the next graph. :) Thank you for all that you do!  What a wonderful team we have, to keep KAS running, from computer fancy stuff to distributions, to sorting and unpacking...wowsers.  

Glad you are visiting the Shop Jeanne :-)  Shopping via the KAS Shop is a fun way to buy and support the children.

KAS also appreciates your monthly donation.  This is another easy way to help KAS with ongoing expenses. 

Hopefully our income will soon overtake the expenses as right now we are in a deficit position.

Hello Linda.

I am delighted that Ronda has the much needed help from Thomas, and clearly a stipend is essential for him! It is good to see the stipend as an item in the shop and encouraging that people have already contibuted.

I was wondering how much the stipend is each month, as this monthly target would help focus members on the funds actually needed. Would he need a phone to contact Ronda if there were problems at the Post Office?

I also wondered if  there was a way to draw more attention to fund raising specifically for Thomas's stipend, as a 'stand alone', particularly if members don't normally visit the shop. If more members see how essential Thomas's role is in supporting Ronda and reducing her physical workload, they might feel drawn to give.

I am not a part of a group, but perhaps there are groups who would consider fund raising to enable Ronda have this invaluable help?

I apologise if I am barking up the wrong tree, as I'm not really an 'ideas person', but Thomas, and the help he gives (not only at the post office), seems too good to lose.

I have just seen the new Snips that has further information on Thomas's stipend, current and Ronda's hope for the future.

RSS

DONATE: KNIT-A-SQUARE

Monthly donation:

Click on box to change options

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One time donation:

FINANCIAL REPORT

Postal costs for incoming parcels has risen alarmingly since mid-April
because of a new rule that ALL overseas parcels attract the customary
handling fee and that has been increased to R51.50 PER PARCEL[$3.74USD].
for July figures click :

See how you may help!

SQUARES LIST

The AUGUST  2018 Squares List is available.

Please click HERE

2018 THEMES OF THE MONTH

Planning ahead??

See the 2018

LIST OF THEMES

AND

WHAT OUR CHILDREN NEED.

Notes

KAS PATTERN BOOK

Visit the KAS Pattern Book for free patterns in knit, crochet, loom and sewing. …

Continue

Created by Linda Maltby May 2, 2018 at 8:26am. Last updated by Linda Maltby Aug 1.

© 2018   Created by Sandy McDonald.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service