Square Circle Forum

CURRENT FINANCIAL REPORT

Postal costs for incoming parcels has risen alarmingly since mid-April because of a new rule that ALL overseas parcels attract the customary handling fee and that has been increased to R51.50 PER PARCEL[$3.74USD].  In past years the fees were lower and graduated (ie. R24.00[$1.74USD] for a small parcel / R40[$2.91USD] for a large parcel) but that has been changed. 

In the past only around 20% of the incoming parcels attracted the levy, now ALL parcels are included in the calculation. So, for instance, in the past KAS would normally pay between R750[$54.52USD] and R1500[$109.03USD] for an incoming postal collection, this week Ronda paid R2200.00[$159.91USD]and on at least two occasions in late April and May she paid approximately R3500[$254USD].

It is unfair, but the postal authorities have spotted a lucrative gap in the system and they are completely unmoved by a charitable enterprise being penalized.  These are not customs tariffs, KAS never pays those - they send parcels back for re-assessment and they always come back free of customs.

The bank balance reduces monthly as costs to run KAS this year have risen[see graph] We are looking for ways to cut costs, but with PO charges going up, with fuel costs increasing dramatically in SA and generally prices rising across the board ... KAS needs your support

Our monthly donors continue to be the backbone of financial support

for Knit-a-Square. 

These monthly donations allow KAS to continue to serve the children of South Africa. 

Thanks to generous one-time donations and numerous purchases in the KAS Shop, the May total has surpassed our expectations.

However, Ronda is being hit with a charge for every parcel arriving at the moment - the postal services are trying to make a profit at our expense! We will need extra help financially until such time this issue can be resolved. The most effective method is a regular subscription as this develops a sense of growth and hitting a target more likely!

Views: 2738

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you for the updates re: postal charges and for Thomas.

I have not been able to mail parcels for awhile, but am still knitting.  I will save up to send a larger parcel all at once. 

I sent a small donation for Thomas.  Blessings.

I too will save up a larger parcel (working on squares at the moment) then add a one-off donation for it in the KAS shop. This just makes sense. :)  Thanks for the ideas ladies!

One-off donations are much appreciated Jeanne, and as Chris C mentions, purchased items from the KAS Shop they can make a lovely 'virtual' present for someone who prefers appreciation & thanks rather than a physical gift. Also it is worth raiding the KAS Shop when one is finding it difficult to 'think' of what to buy for someone!!!!

Knit for Life has received donations from a KAS supporter as well as income from EasyFundraising recently so I have just sent a donation of $255.  I'm busy packing 10 boxes at the moment and we always try to contribute towards the distribution costs.

That is FANTASTIC, Elaine and Pam J. !!!! THANK YOU.....and to those who donated to you directly or through EasyFundraising. 

Thank you KfL for everything you do for KAS.  The donation will be most helpful.

Thanks Elaine and Pam J - you are both such busy ladies, and, we always appreciate your support!

Such a needed contribution. Thank you KFL.

The Cash Flow graph will be late this month as I haven't received the expenses figures. 

Ronda was pleased with the visit to the Post Office today but not so pleased with how much she had to pay for the parcels.  Here's what she had to say:

Must tell you we had a great postal collection today … more than R2200 [$164 US] to pay, though.

Costs are escalating on every front in SA I am sad to say … the poor will become so much poorer now.

It’s quite desperate

The Shop bought in $381.11US which will help towards the postal charges.  Also the Stipend for Thomas appeal has been popular again this month.  Some members have chosen to make a monthly donation and specified it be used towards Thomas' stipend.  What a good idea !

Over 120 subscribers are donating monthly in support of Knit-a-Square.  This helps greatly in paying the ongoing expenses.  With the added expense of paying a processing fee on all overseas parcels [$3.75 USD per parcel], Knit-a-Square is appreciative of every dollar donated. 

Pleased to see K-A-S almost received enough in donations to cover the month's expenses, but it would be even better if we had just a little more income, as it appears we are still operating at a loss each month.

A huge YAY to everyone who was able to help out this month.

WONDERFUL effort, amazing generosity!

oh dear yes was hoping we'd cover the expenses this month - off to make donation!

RSS

DONATE: KNIT-A-SQUARE

Monthly donation:

Click on box to change options

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One time donation:

FINANCIAL REPORT

Postal costs for incoming parcels has risen alarmingly since mid-April
because of a new rule that ALL overseas parcels attract the customary
handling fee and that has been increased to R51.50 PER PARCEL[$3.74USD].
for June figures click :

See how you may help!

Stipend for Thomas Appeal

SQUARES LIST

The JULY  2018 Squares List is available.

Please click

HERE

2018 THEMES OF THE MONTH

Planning ahead??

See the 2018

LIST OF THEMES

AND

WHAT OUR CHILDREN NEED.

Notes

KAS PATTERN BOOK

Visit the KAS Pattern Book for free patterns in knit, crochet, loom and sewing. …

Continue

Created by Linda Maltby May 2, 2018 at 8:26am. Last updated by Linda Maltby Aug 1.

© 2018   Created by Sandy McDonald.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service