Square Circle Forum

CURRENT FINANCIAL REPORT

Postal costs for incoming parcels has risen alarmingly since mid-April because of a new rule that ALL overseas parcels attract the customary handling fee and that has been increased to R51.50 PER PARCEL[$3.74USD].  In past years the fees were lower and graduated (ie. R24.00[$1.74USD] for a small parcel / R40[$2.91USD] for a large parcel) but that has been changed. 

In the past only around 20% of the incoming parcels attracted the levy, now ALL parcels are included in the calculation. So, for instance, in the past KAS would normally pay between R750[$54.52USD] and R1500[$109.03USD] for an incoming postal collection, this week Ronda paid R2200.00[$159.91USD]and on at least two occasions in late April and May she paid approximately R3500[$254USD].

It is unfair, but the postal authorities have spotted a lucrative gap in the system and they are completely unmoved by a charitable enterprise being penalized.  These are not customs tariffs, KAS never pays those - they send parcels back for re-assessment and they always come back free of customs.

The bank balance reduces monthly as costs to run KAS this year have risen[see graph] We are looking for ways to cut costs, but with PO charges going up, with fuel costs increasing dramatically in SA and generally prices rising across the board ... KAS needs your support

Our monthly donors continue to be the backbone of financial support

for Knit-a-Square. 

These monthly donations allow KAS to continue to serve the children of South Africa. 

Thanks to generous one-time donations and numerous purchases in the KAS Shop, the May total has surpassed our expectations.

However, Ronda is being hit with a charge for every parcel arriving at the moment - the postal services are trying to make a profit at our expense! We will need extra help financially until such time this issue can be resolved. The most effective method is a regular subscription as this develops a sense of growth and hitting a target more likely!

Views: 3116

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks so much Mary. 

Would it help for more people to get together to send a parcel, rather than smaller individual parcels?

Just thinking it's better to pay $3.75 for 100 squares, rather than $15 for 4x25 squares. 

Thank you for your suggestion Holly.

It would be helpful if people could get together to send a larger parcel.  People could save their squares until they have enough to send a larger parcel every 2 or 3 months rather than one a month. 

Please be aware of size and weight restrictions for your country as the postage can go up drastically if over a certain size/weight.  Here is Canada 2 kg is the maximum weight before the price goes 'through the roof'.

Shop sales have been down for the month of August.  However, because of a generous donation through the Shop, KAS realized $383.28 US.   As you may know, Thomas has accepted a full time job !  We are sincerely happy for him as he will be better able to support his family. [scroll HERE   to see article and photos] His uncle Themba has stepped in and will be helping Ronda with the Monday parcel pick up until a full time replacement can be found.  Themba will also bring the volunteers from Soweto to the KAS Barn on Tuesdays [he'll probably be helping sort squares as well].

I am delighted for Thomas though sad to see him go. I'm very happy his Uncle Themba can now come and help. Perhaps the amount I ear marked per month to help Thomas can go as thanks to Uncle Themba or back into general funds...your choice ladies where you feel it should go, it wasn't much I'm sorry to say but every bit helps I think.

The deficit is just over $1000 US for the month of August. 

August income has dropped and the KAS team has been trying to cut expenses but rent must be paid, fuel is needed for the KASvan for distributions as well as driving the Soweto members to and from the Barn each Tuesday. 

KAS has cancelled Tuesday 25th in the KASbarn for lack of September funds … Ronda does not want to get into the habit of drawing funds from PayPal early in order to cope each month.

Ronda: “We have enough for the rental which will need to be paid on Thursday the 27th, plus a couple of thousand Rs for postal expenses and those things which are unavoidable.

It is a public holiday in SA on Monday 24th so it seemed appropriate to give the volunteers the next day off as well.

Themba will come through on Tuesday to do the post and we will meet again in October – on the 2nd.”

Darn it.  I am striving to think of a way to even this out so income meets expenses.  I have no doubt the greed evident in the new package fees is directly impacting the KAS bottom line.  I totally understand shutting KAS down for a day.  I am sure I am not the only one praying for ideas and ways to make this keep working as the need is so great.  Thank you for this update Linda. :)

agreed ! Oh lordy those postal fees are a huge huge expense. Infact I'm thinking of cutting back on parcels and instead sending the money. In the long term I think it would be better to support a pool of gogos to knit in South Africa for the kids supplemented by local volunteer knitters than have the heavy heavy burden of the postal fees. I think it seems to be about $600-800 a month. 

Thank you Mary.  You have been and still are, a strong KAS supporter. 

Postage is expensive.  If we all cut back on at least one parcel and sent the postage money instead, it would be very helpful.  Here in Canada it costs just over $36 Canadian [$28US] to send a 2kg parcel.

4 Ways You Can Help

1. Make a donation: Use the Donate button on the top right. This will take you to a secure page.
  2. Visit the KAS Shop: see link on top toolbar

3.”Use your stash; send the cash” [via Donate button]

1. Don’t send a parcel this month but donate postage money

RSS

DONATE: KNIT-A-SQUARE

Monthly donation:

Click on box to change options

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One time donation:

FINANCIAL REPORT

Postal costs for incoming parcels has risen alarmingly since mid-April
because of a new rule that ALL overseas parcels attract the customary
handling fee and that has been increased to R51.50 PER PARCEL[$3.74USD].
for July figures click :

See how you may help!

SQUARES LIST

The AUGUST  2018 Squares List is available.

Please click HERE

2018 THEMES OF THE MONTH

Planning ahead??

See the 2018

LIST OF THEMES

AND

WHAT OUR CHILDREN NEED.

Notes

KAS PATTERN BOOK

Visit the KAS Pattern Book for free patterns in knit, crochet, loom and sewing. …

Continue

Created by Linda Maltby May 2, 2018 at 8:26am. Last updated by Linda Maltby Aug 1.

© 2018   Created by Sandy McDonald.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service