Ronda would very much like to increase the 'pay' rate from $1 to $2 per blanket for these wonderful hardworking ladies!

We appreciate and respect that everyone has differing financial situations/commitments.......we would never ask more of you, than you are willing or able to give. If you would care to visit our

KAS SHOP

you will notice that we have three different giving options under

"Wrap a Child in a Blanket"

Continue Reading full report....

TOYS !

Every child deserves a toy of their own to love and cherish.

Can you help?

Ronda said, I loved going through the pics of the little ones with their toys again ... they do SO love them and get very excited over receiving a toy of their own.  As Linda commented ... it is most often the first (and ONLY) item a poor African child has ever “owned” and so these toys are a huge blessing. They will offer many a child real comfort and the specialness of ownership so seldom experienced amongst really poor families. We are so very grateful that our contributors keep them coming ... in ALL shapes and forms, sizes and types ... all are a source of joy !

For further info please click here

Welcome to our new members who have joined since the

March issue of KasSnippets

THE KAS STORY - CHAPTER 3

MAIL & SORTING

When Ronda and Sandy came up with the idea of KAS and providing blankets for the children in South Africa, did they ever imagine just what sort of influx of squares and goods were going to land on Ronda's doorstep from crafters all around the world? More than 1,250,000 squares have made their way to SA, most by mail, some in person, some by stewardesses that filled an extra suitcase with goods for the children, and, some by special couriers. There have been postal strikes, yes plural, in the past 10 years. The sorting room has moved a few times, too. They have had some flooding, needed shelves and bins purchased at different times.

This month we hope to share some of the background on the endeavours that involve the main and the sorting of our KAS contributions. 

Continue Reading....

SQUARES LIST

The March 2018 Squares List is available.

Please visit the website: www.knit-a-square.com

Click on 'Received Squares'

Because of the heavy workload for the small KAS Team, hats, handwarmers, toys and other goodies will not be recorded anymore, but please keep sending them because they are desperately needed. In the 2018 Squares List the names of the senders, number of parcels and squares will be recorded.  Please fill in the Packing Slip completely.

The focus for 2018 and for some time to come will stay as is:

Squares for blankets, hats, hand-warmers and cuddly soft toys.

To see more details, please click [HERE]

MONTHLY TOTALS 2018

We received 41.227 Squares, equal to 1.117 Blankets!

A BIG THANK YOU TO ALL!

Visit the discussion and view photographs and supportive comments!

Don't forget to visit the latest pages from

SORTED IN SOUTH AFRICA

THE BLANKET ROOM

DISTRIBUTIONS

Today's report from KAS won't be long as Tuesday was a really quiet day. April is a strange month in south Africa because there are so many public holidays, and it seems to mess with everyone's timetable. Between Easter and Freedom Day on Friday 27 April, the high number of days off result in people taking leave around the long weekend, and this disrupts school terms and business calendars. The effect is that, even at organisations like Knit-a-Square, attendance by volunteers is irregular. Next week, May 1st, is, of course, Workers' Day, so another public holiday, but the volunteers have decided this time to make up for the missed day and come in on Wednesday instead.

Continue Reading....

You need to be a member of Square Circle Forum to add comments!

Join Square Circle Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thank you Pam.  Wonderful to read what has gone on at Knit-a-Square in April.  I especially enjoy Leanne's description of what goes on in the KASBarn. 

• Happy Mother's Day to all mothers and grandmothers celebrating this special day, today.

2965504681?profile=original

I have made a donation to the Gogos blanket making, on behalf of my hubby...he just doesn't know it...haha.

https://www.knit-a-square-southafrica.com/store/c6/Gogo_Support.html

• Thank you Bev.  Won't hubby be surprised !!

I've made a donation in memory of two wonderful women in my life:  my mother, Louise and my mother-in-law, Marjorie.  We especially miss them on this week-end.

• Thank you so much, Pam, for pulling this all together.  Great job!  I'm busy elsewhere just now so am unable to frequent the forum.  I feel like I'm very far behind, but you have packaged the KASnews up very neatly so that I am able to take it in a little at a time ... in snippets, so to speak :)))

I hear you about 'stripes in blankets' ... I love them, too :)  xo

• Gloria, what does PJ stand for? Thanks!

• Hi Andreja.

PJs are what we affectionately call 'plain jane' squares. They are single coloured, solid squares, in garter stitch for knitters and single crochet for crocheters.....this was the original definition.

However, Gloria came up with the idea that they can also be single coloured squares with a solid pattern....not lacy....for those who like to create a little something 'extra'. Yay, Gloria!!

They are much needed  in a blanket to provide lovely colour to contrast with stripes, variegated and picture squares.  :))

• Thanks. Couldn't figure it out :-)))))))

• Sorry Andreja, I've just now seen your question.  Bev is absolutely right (thank you, Bev ... xo :)))  

Everyone likes to see the fancier squares spread throughout several blankets, with the 'fancies' surrounded by PJs to make them stand out.  As capable and talented as our volunteers and Gogos are, If they don't have enough PJs, unfortunately they have no magic wands to wave to make them magically appear ... hahaha  They count on us to provide them ... which, of course, many of our fabulous contributors happily do!  So a huge THANK YOU to all you fantabulous PJ-makers out there ...  xo

• Thanks for clarifying!

• A great read Pam and I do hope the Gogos can have a bit more money. They manage on so little and they are grateful and enterprising with their $1. What a wonderful mother's day it would be for us to give them more for their efforts.

My toys [12] are boxed up and ready to post on Monday. From then it takes 10-25 days to get there. We have no surface mail rates to SA unhappily. There will be  a few PJ's in there too as that is my limit of talent !

This reply was deleted.