GOOD NEWS TO START THE YEAR!!

The gogo groups have done a WONDERFUL job this year and we are really into a good stride with up to 8 groups who are diligent and reliable and LOVE helping KAS. We have distributed 6,000 blankets which is much greater than the 3 - 4,000 blankets we usually provide!

Read GOG0 AND OPERATIONAL NEWS HERE

And here is just one of the places these completed blankets (hats, wristwarmers, and toys) go!  This beautiful smile says it all!!

TINY'S CRECHE IN ALEXANDRIA

THE BLANKET ROOM

Christine keeps THE BLANKET ROOM well stocked with photos of our beautiful work.  If you're searching for your own squares and blankets, or just some inspiration, this is a good place to look!

The December 2016 Squares List is available

Please visit the website:

www.knit-a-square.com

Click on 'Received Squares'

For the December 2016 Graphs please click here

OVERALL TOTALS 2016:

177,306 Squares (equal to at about 5,065 blankets), 8,312 Hats, 4,932 pairs of Handwarmers and  3,232 Toys were received!

Last but not least, other "warmers" such as  KAScuddles, T-sweaters, cardigans, and Heather's winterwarmers were received from loving and caring crafters around the world.  As our S.A. team is no longer able to distribute these items, Ronda very kindly passes them along to third parties such as Outreach Foundation, Rape Crisis Centre in Beoni, Hotel Hope, and Baragwanath Hospital.

Thank you ALL so very much!

TOY STORY

Our January Theme

Last year, our distribution team ran out of toys for the children.  How sad is that!

Amy has invited us to join her in making sure that does not happen this year!

Your response has been phenominal.  Just look at all the amazing creations and finds that have already found their way into the KAS Toy Box!

Cuddlebugs                                                   Squares and Blankets

Handmade Toys                                           Clean and Gently Loved

Charity Shop Finds

!!! AMAZING !!!

There's still loads of time to participate because Amy has offered to run this theme right up until the end of April ... in tandem with our February, March, and April themes!

2017 WISH LIST

Over the years Knit-a-Square has grown rather organically and kindhearted members have been sending an ever increasing variety of goodies, but it has become essential for Knit-a-Square to appraise and re-evaluate its whole approach in order for the office team to comfortably handle the number of items arriving. 

In future, Knit-a-Square will only be able to distribute squares, assembled blankets, hats, hand-warmers and cuddly toys. All other items will be distributed through a third-party and not directly by KAS.

Please click [here] for valuable information about sizing, sewing, and how to prepare your items for mailing.

FEBRUARY PATTERN OF THE MONTH

Handwarmers

KNITTED striped hand warmers by Joan Humm (France)

The hand-warmer is designed to keep a child’s wrist and hand covered while leaving the fingers free. This pattern is basically a square that will fold around the hand, leaving an opening for the thumb. The ribbing allows for extra warmth as well as stretch to fit the child as they grow.  The children need to be able to write while wearing the hand warmers which means a thicker yarn is not practical. 

CROCHET handwarmers by Heather Mensah (UK) showing how the hand warmers look when worn.

PLEASE:  Remember to follow the joining instructions in the pattern as Ronda has received some hand warmers with the thumb opening in the middle of the hand warmer so the children’s fingers are completely covered when wearing them.

Beginning at top edge, sew sides together for 1 inch/2.5 cm, leave the next 1.5 in/4 cm open for thumb, sew remainder of sides together.

Plain and variegated hand warmers by Bev Jeffrey (Australia)

You could add faux fur to your hand warmers like these beauties from Anneke Sevink (Netherlands)

Brightly coloured hand warmers by Kathy Chantrell (UK)

The hand warmers crochet and knit patterns are available in

The KAS Pattern Book where other patterns are available, please try as many as you like.

!!!! TWO ** 2 ** TWO !!!!

NEW ITEMS IN OUR

KAS SHOP

** NEW ITEM #1 **

Make a donation to

A CHILD'S EDUCATION

A generous donation to the KAS Operations Fund will help towards the cost of items like scissors, pencils, coloured pencils, pencil sharpeners, erasers, simple musical instruments, learning cards (numbers and alphabet), puzzles, dominoes and simple learning table games.

Click [HERE] to enhance a child's learning experience.

Comment from a Happy Shopper

"5 stars for this brilliant new KAS Shop item!  I can now buy supplies for a child and, with the money I save on postage, I can put fuel in the KASvan, or buy snacks for the children, or help pay the rent ... the list goes on!"

** NEW ITEM #2 **  

For all knitters and crocheters ... another nifty technique to add to your list of creative talents!

BEGINNER TUNISIAN CROCHET

A guide to the four basic Tunisian Crochet stitches: 

Tunisian Simple Stitch (Tss) (also known as Afghan Stitch)
Tunisian Reverse Stitch (Trs)
Tunisian Knit Stitch (Tks)
​Tunisian Purl Stitch (Tps)

Included is a collection of stitch combinations and patterns to create squares and useful items to use or to give as gifts.

Purchase your downloadable copy [HERE]

Comment from a Happy Shopper

"A few days ago I wandered into the KAS Shop, thinking it was time to make another purchase.  What a lovely surprise to find a new item – Beginner Tunisian Crochet Book.

"I know that every purchase I make keeps the wheels of KAS turning and that every cent goes to help our vulnerable children in S.A.

"Sometimes, though, it is nice to make a purchase of something I can personally enjoy, while knowing that the money I spend will be used by Ronda for whatever she needs most – Gogo Support, Gas for the van etc.

"At only $7USD, this book is an absolute bargain, and there's hope, even for a klutz like me, that I can learn this new skill. The instructions are clear, and the patterns are such fun. I can hardly wait to get started. 

"Thanks for all the work that went into producing this book. I hope it will be promoted on our Facebook page. I think many followers even if they are not KAS members, will want to order a copy."

WISDOM FROM OUR GRANDPARENTS

COMING SOON TO A COMPUTER NEAR YOU

A new

KASKontest!

Participate and you could win a Shopping Spree in our

KAS Shop

!!!! Watch for Kontest details in our February Theme !!!!

A THOUGHT FOR THE NEW YEAR

This inspiring article was discovered and shared by one of our River John Square Knitters.  The story is lovely, and this gentleman's son has some wise words for us all:

"If you want to help yourself, help somebody else."

WISHING EVERYONE A HAPPY, PROSPEROUS, AND CREATIVE 2017!

Together, let's see how many children we can wrap in warmth and love!

You need to be a member of Square Circle Forum to add comments!

Join Square Circle Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thank you Glo for yet another full  and colourful edition of Snippets, it is just brilliant :))

• I thoroughly enjoyed this edition of Snippets. It's so practical to find most of the recent articles gethered together.

Thank you, Glo, for your hard work.

• Thank you Gloria and all contributors for another great edition of Snips! I thought I had commented as soon as I read it on the day it was posted, but I think I went to the KAS shop to check out the new items....... and forgot to return......... a senior moment :))

• Thank you for this very interesting issue.
  • Well, you've managed to do it again, Glo!  Another great issue.

Thanks for mentioning WISDOM FROM OUR GRANDPARENTS.  I hope lots of members will join the discussion - we're having fun.

• Thank you Glo, another bumper edition of Snippets. :))
  • Glo, each edition just gets better and better.  KAS has been very busy this month.

• Glo it is a wonderful SNIPS ! I must get to a charity shop for toys and to the KAS shop to see the new items !

• Thank you Gloria. A fact packed news-fest.

• Thanks Glo.....and all contributors.....you have started the year off with a BANG!!!!

Here's to a year of 'good news' and fantastic creations from our creative and extremely generous members.  :))

This reply was deleted.