KAS FINANCES - URGENT APPEAL

We all love making squares, hats, wristwarmers, and toys.  We know it costs us to get these things to South Africa and we willingly pay the postage.  

But did you know that it costs Ronda to accept our things and deliver them to the children?  She has had to rent space for the volunteers to gather, sort, and package everything for distributions.  She has to put fuel in the KASvan to deliver our blankets to the children.

Just a little bit of help will make a BIG difference.

Three ways to support Knit-a-Square

1.  Visit the KAS Shop and make a purchase.  

It doesn't matter what you choose, all proceeds will directly benefit the childen.  Check out our NEW Easter Cards!

Erica said:

"If you're like me, you often wish you could help out on a distribution day... If only I wasn't on the opposite side of the world!"

The good news is … you can help with distributions in a very specific, individual way.  We have several items in our KAS Shop that allow you purchase something special to support the day-to-day operations directly in South Africa.

$5 will provide a bag of apples

When our volunteer team sets out to a distribution, they take beautiful blankets, toys, hats and handwarmers for the children, but they also take some fresh fruit and snacks to make the day extra special.

Ann said:

Great idea, snacks for the kids ... I know all the other aspects are as important, but just to think of them getting a wee bit of fruit or some little treat is so good.

$10 will sponsor a child during a distribution

This will put a soft, warm hat on a little head, pull hand-warmers on over tiny, chilly hands, and tuck a soft toy next to a child’s heart.

$25 will pay a half-day's rent

Helping with the rental cost will provide the volunteers with a safe environment in which to sort and organize the thousands of squares they receive.

A contribution towards fuel for the KASvan will

Get the Motor Running!

I’m sure you can imagine just how much driving is involved, getting all the squares and blankets to where they need to go. You can help to cover the cost of fuel and ongoing maintenance the KASvan requires to get the squares all the way from the post-office to a creche full of kids!

2.  Make a one-time donation

Click the "donate" button on the right-hand side and make a donation directly to Knit-a-Square.

Perhaps you don't knit or crochet but you would still like to help the children through

Knit-a-Square.

Perhaps you only occasionally have a little extra you would like to give.

Perhaps you would like to invite your friends over for coffee and tell them about Knit-a-Square.  How much could one coffee morning raise for a one-time donation? 

Perhaps you have a large yarn stash and don't really need to buy that extra ball of yarn!

Arlene said:  Use your stash - Send the cash

Every dollar you can send in support of KAS will be appreciated more than you know ... especially by the children.

While explaining why (after mailing yet another 5 parcels to KAS) she felt she should make a donation, Trish smiled and said, "We are, after all, part of the problem!"

3.  Make a committment to an ongoing monthly donation

Click the "subscribe" button on the right-hand side and sign up for an ongoing monthly donation to Knit-a-Square.

Ronda needs $2700 (USD) each month to keep KAS ticking.  This does not include any money to cover emergencies (such as the recent flood). Taking into account the paypal fee, Ronda needs 600 X $5 subscribers.

$5 a month can make a huge difference to the stability of KAS and to Ronda's peace of mind!

More comments from our wonderful contributors:

Erica said:

Monthly donations are absolutely vital to KAS, because a steady and reliable income stream makes it much easier to plan budgets and manage long term plans ...

Anne said:

For those who don't feel they can pop out $25 at once, the regular monthly donation, (even a small amount) is a painless way of getting funds to S.A. to keep the wheels turning, and it is so easy.  I just sign up once a year and then forget it and I get a notice from Paypal each month to say the payment has been made.

Either way, we are making life better for "our kids”

Chris said:

It would be heart breaking for us all to see the demise of KAS in SA. Many of us are passionate about KAS, because each of us from our own homes are able to help vulnerable children by knitting and crocheting to help keep them warm.

We all face the costs of yarn and postage, but we must dig a little deeper into our pockets (if we are able to). If we all gave an affordable, regular contribution it would give Ronda and the team the money they need to carry on doing what they do so well, helping needy children.

I have already signed up, but on reflection, I can up my monthly contribution by a few more dollars. The children need our help, so we need to get the blankets distributed!

Leanne said:

I made a once-off donation when I joined but will now go ahead and join the monthly subscription plan.  I also love the ideas of using up stash in order to afford the regular donation and having a coffee morning to collect contributions from friends.

And our Ronda said:

KAS SA is so grateful for the thoughtful consideration which goes into every aspect of the help we receive, not only by all the wonderful crafting and knitting/crochet talents of its contributors, but your generosity across the board ... please - EVERY ONE OF YOU - hug yourselves, and know that it's actually ME hugging you !!!!

Keep checking the bar graph on the right-hand side to watch our progress!

After working through the chaos of the recent flood and overcoming some technical difficulties, Christine is once again able to share with us what is being

SORTED IN SOUTH AFRICA

AND

THE BLANKET ROOM COLLECTION

The February 2017 Squares List is available at http://www.knit-a-square.com  Click on "Received Squares".

The February figures are low because of the flood in the KAS Office. It was a tremendous task to clean it.  Nonetheless the SA team managed to open 161 parcels.

Contents:

7,634 squares (218 blankets), 372 Hats, 162 pairs of Handwarmers, 270 Toys, and many other goodies.

For more details please click here: http://forum.knit-a-square.com/forum/topics/2017-squares-list

MEET THE KAS FAMILY

Juli Harrington from Kamakura, Japan

And Her Adult Enrichment Class

Let’s learn about Juli and her group in her own words.

I began knitting and crocheting for KAS in December 2014 as a way to get rid of all the yarn I had in my cupboards. Of course, like everyone else, once I cleared out the yarn I had to buy more as I was addicted to making squares for KAS. My husband continually asks, “Have you completed 35 squares yet?!"

Continue reading [here]

MARCH - One Heart, Two Hearts, Pink Hearts, Blue Hearts

March is all about

HEARTS

This month you will find poetry, patterns, and photos of some pretty phenomenal projects.

Here's just a sample of how our crafters are showing what kind hearts they have!

Click [HERE] if you would like to participate, join our discussion, or just browse to see what's being created.  You will even find links to some music you might enjoy. 

APRIL PATTERN OF THE MONTH

MITRE SQUARE 

Knitted rainbow mitre square by Karen Bennett (UK)

This square is guaranteed to come out the right size, because it starts from the corner and grows outward.

Crochet mitre squares by Charis Griffin (UK)

Knitted mitre squares by Joan Humm (France)

The mitre square KNIT and CROCHET patterns are available in

The KAS Pattern Book where other patterns are available, please try as many as you like.

PURTON COFFEE MORNING

Louise Tidman lives in a small village called Purton, this is just outside Swindon in Wiltshire. Louise has a group of over 80 knitters, most of these ladies are elderly and knitting is their lifeline They all makes items for KAS or MNPC.

Louise does not ask these ladies for money towards the shipping of these items. She raises this by fundraising throughout the year, to pay for this and send donations to KAS.

On Saturday 11th March, they held their annual coffee morning. Louise and her team were very busy on Friday setting up and I arrived from Essex early on Saturday morning, with my stock of yarn to sell.

Click [HERE] to read more of Sharon's account of this extremely successful fundraiser and see photos of Louise and her helpers.

TOY STORY

Hi Everyone,

I'm Jess, the Toy Theme mascot.  Boy, you KASers are terrific!  I am sitting here in a box in the KAS barn and you should see all the goodies around me.

Most importantly you should see all the toys that have been unpacked on sorting days.  I hear that even more are coming our way, like famous people in history, planes and helicopters, bears galore, those fancy mice,  lots of soft fluffy animals, rabbits and so much more.  The volunteers are having fun with all the puppets, too.  I understand that the charity shops are quite popular with our KAS members.  Some have been cleaning out their closets, also.

Please check out this link to see what has been coming in: http://forum.knit-a-square.com/forum/topics/toy-story-january-thru-april-theme-2017.

Do you know that toys from all over the world are making their way to the children in South Africa?  Ronda and her team are so excited to be able to deliver an entire KAS package (one blanket, one hat, one set of hand-warmers, and one TOY) to each child. KASers have filled two toy chests so far.  That is over 800 toys!  

With just six weeks to go, can you help us reach our next goal of 1,000 toys?   Let's put more joy on the children's faces.

I can't wait to tell you more good news next month,

Jess

That Warm Fuzzy Feeling

by

Leanne Hunt

I live in Johannesburg, not far from the Knit-a-Square office, and thought it would be nice to write about the experience of visiting the blanket room for the benefit of overseas knitters and crocheters.  I know how lovely it is to get insight into the personal side of the charity one supports and i couldn't wait to experience the sorting, packing and stacking process firsthand when I read about it on the website.

Continue reading ...

You need to be a member of Square Circle Forum to add comments!

Join Square Circle Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Oh wow - I see some of the squares I parcelled up and sent form knitters in my town.  How exciting is that!!!

Thank you for the update!

• That's great, Rebecca!! I love it when fellow KASsisters spot their crafting on the forum.  :))

• An absolutely fantastic edition of Snippets Glo, thank you for giving so much space to the appeal. You really have put your heart into this.xox

• Great edition Glo! xo

• Gosh Gloria, you have put your heart and soul into this edition. I have shared it on Facebook and asked for regular donations :) even if only a couple of people sign up it is better than nothing. Fingers crossed. Xx
  • Another great round-up of events with some beautiful surprises. Thank you

• Thank you Glo for this great March edition of Snips. Starting with the 'KAS Finances Urgent Appeal' certainly helps to keep the desperate need for financial donations uppermost in our minds, as we then read on and see the beautiful knitted and crocheted contributions from our wonderful members. Leanne's description of her visit to Ronda and her team has, I think, touched us all; our contributions, both in yarn and money, enable Ronda and the wonderful SA volunteers to do the work that they do in the environment that Leannne, without the benefit of vision, was able to describe so beautifully. 

I think we are all thinking about ways to help, but clearly the regular monthly subscription, no matter how small, will make a huge difference to the stability of KAS in SA and their ability to continue helping the neediest of children. 

This is an amazing organisation and everyone is a volunteer!

• Another bumper edition of Snippets, thank you Glo for putting it all together for us.   Leanne's description of her day in the KAS office is just wonderful. It made me feel as though I was in the KASbarn too.  A truly amazing experience, thanks for sharing it with us Leanne.  :)))  

• Totally agree with Amy and Louise. So many 'feel good', heart-warming stories in this edition.

Absolutely loved reading about Leanne's visit to the KASbarn and Louise (Sharon, Jude and those kindly Purton folk) and that fantastic fundraiser.

Thank you Glo......and thank you to ALL the contributors this month. You make the forum such a special place to visit and be a part of.

• So much information in this edition Glo, great job.  I love all the heart-touching stories; coffees, classes and visits to the KASbarn.  Thanks for putting all this together!

This reply was deleted.