Grace Creche

Lebohang Child Care

Kgopolang Old Age Services

DISTRIBUTION PHOTOS

^v^v^v^v^

This month, our contributors have rallied around Susan D.

as she hosted this month's theme. 

Check out the amazing talents and be inspired by October's 

GORGEOUS GRANNIES AND GARTERS AND VARIEGATED WONDERS

I am always amazed at what can be designed and created

with just a ball of yarn and a stick or two ... 

^v^v^v^v^

Here is another great way to help support the wonderful work of

Knit-a-Square!

Click [HERE] TO PURCHASE YOUR 2018 CALENDAR

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR SUPPORT WITH THIS NEW FUNDRAISER.

^v^v^v^v^

Another great collection of photos in

SORTED IN SOUTH AFRICA

The volunteers are kept busy opening, sorting, and documenting the items

that arrive from all over the world to help comfort the children.  

Your things could be among them on these tables ... and in the

BLANKET ROOM

^v^v^v^v^

You just never know what fabulous patterns, tips, or tricks you will find when you frequent our monthly themes!

Within the past couple of months, we've discussed the Swing Needle technique.  

Never heard of it?

Check it out [HERE] and see what you think!

HOW TO USE SWING KNITTING NEEDLES

^V^V^V^V^

NOVEMBER PATTERN OF THE MONTH

HAND WARMERS

Hand warmers are urgently by Knit-a-Square as Ronda has a very limited amount to distribute.  Please can you help by making and sending hand warmers as soon as possible. Thank you. 

Knitted Twisted Rib hand warmers - Diana D (USA)

Knitted Twisted Rib hand warmers – Joan Humm (FRANCE)

Crochet hand warmers – Amy (USA)

Original Knitted K2, P2 Rib hand warmers by Rebecca Price (UK)

The hand-warmer is designed to keep a child’s wrist and hand covered while leaving the fingers free. This pattern is basically a square that will fold around the hand, leaving an opening for the thumb.  The ribbing allows for extra warmth as well as stretch to fit the child as they grow.  If you are concerned about warmth, please use 100% wool or a wool/acrylic blend with the 4.00mm needles.  The children need to be able to write while wearing the hand-warmers which means a thicker yarn is not practical. Please see photo below.

Hand warmers made by Karen Bennett (UK) and modelled by her 5 year old child.

NOTE:  Before sending hand warmers to Knit-a-Square please place one hand-warmer inside the other in order to keep them together.  We ask that you not tie or safety pin them together.  The volunteers must remove all of these fastenings prior to distributing, which is time consuming.

We have three knit and crochet hand warmer patterns in the KAS Pattern Book other patterns are also available, please try as many as you like. 

^v^v^v^v^

SQUARES LIST

The September 2017 Squares List is available.

Please visit the website: www.knit-a-square.com

Click on 'Received Squares'

Graph “Squares” up until and including September

171 parcels were received and opened and the total contents were:

14,158 squares (equal to 404 blankets), 808 hats, 102 pairs of handwarmers, 100 toys and many other goodies (marked with a "x" under column "Other" in the Squares list). To see more graphs and details, please click [HERE]

^v^v^v^v^

How nice to find Knit-a-Square included and able to spread the word through

CRAFTS FOR CHARITY

^v^v^v^v^

If you should happen to find that your creative talents might be of benefit

to someone closer to home, there is no harm in sharing ...

^v^v^v^v^

THAT WARM FUZZY FEELING

By Leanne Hunt

I learnt something about Ronda and Knit-a-Square this morning that absolutely astounded me.  I just have to share it with you, so my promised report on the orphanages will have to wait.  I think this will amaze you too when you hear about it.

Continue reading ...

You need to be a member of Square Circle Forum to add comments!

Join Square Circle Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Gloria, 

Thanks for getting all the great news of the month in one place.  KAS has been very busy.

After seeing your video, I may just have to learn how to knit.

• Thanks for a great edition, plenty of weekend reading :)
  • Lovely report. I really enjoy reading the KAS Snippets each month. Hopefully Ronda will soon be flooded with parcels containing hand warmers.

I just sent another batch of 16 by Airmail and hopefully some of my Sea mail parcels should be arriving soon (as they all contain hand warmers too).

• Hi Gloria, thank you for the "Swing Knitting" instructions. Very effective... I have nearly finished a set of hand warmers tonight using this technique
    • Susanne, I'm thrilled that you're using this technique!  I hope you like it as much as I do :)  Looking forwad to seeing your handwarmers ... xo

• Here you are Gloria... SWING STITCH HANDWARMERS

IMG_3315.JPG

• Susanne's Swing Knit Handwarmers.  Superb!2965451627?profile=RESIZE_320x320

• WOW!  Susanne, these are gorgeous!  I love the use of the variegated with plain colored yarn. 

Well done :) xo

• These are great. They look as though they have jewels threaded in them. Very interesting effect with this technique.

• Thank you Glo for another very informative Snippets :))
This reply was deleted.