DISTRIBUTION REPORTS

Our Ronda is a busy lady, as I'm sure you can imagine!  However, she takes the time to share reports and photos of the places she and her team visit to distribute the thousands of blankets, hats, hand-warmers, and toys crafted by loving hands and sent from around the world.  Please have a look at the wonderful things your work is accomplishing ... 

THEMBALIHLE - LITTLE TODDLERS

A beautifully run daycare centre, though by now the cool early morning air

had become BAKING HOT and the children were in a room reminiscent of the Black Hole of Calcutta !!! 

GRACEPOINT

We have, this year, enlisted the help of Gracepoint Methodist Church to distribute blankets on our behalf. They helped distribute at least 400 blankets this year - this has been a great help to me personally, as Wendy is not in a position to help at the moment.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

^^^^^^^^^^^^

SEPTEMBER THEME

ANYONE FOR ........ Team KAS

We have just seen another wonderful Olympics, Rio 2016.

We saw sportsmen and women achieving amazing results. Their dedication and team work has been  successful. We have seen pain, tears, laughter and uniting together in the name of sport..

The Olympics is very similar to KAS and the dedication within our own wonderful organisation.

If you're looking for ideas and inspiration and would like to join us, please check out this month's array of beautiful work.  Or if you would just like to be part of our cheering section, come on in to our  September theme.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

SQUARE HEART AWARD

SEPTEMBER 2016

Goes to:

KIRAN SINGH

Kiran joined us in 2013 and she has regularly contributed beautiful, neat and colourful squares for the blankets, and who could forget her SA flag blanket ! Really stunning ! She uses it for her profile picture, you may have seen it. We do not have any photos of Kiran to introduce her, just keep an eye out for the little blanket on the forum !

Kiran is known for brights, patterns, mitres, diagonals and all the varieties we love to see in the blankets. Kiran is a whizz at both knitting and crochet.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

JBAY RECYCLING PROJECT FOR CHILDREN

posted by Amy

A community based project where children are encouraged to collect, sort and deliver “recyclable junk” to a central point and exchange it for tokens. They can then use the tokens to “shop” in an associated shop for toiletries, food, clothing, school supplies and books. 

^^^^^^^^^^^^

OCTOBER PATTERN OF THE MONTH

Alternating Broken Rib Knit Square Pattern by Wendy Hinson (Australia)

Blue square by Wendy Hinson (Australia)

This is a lovely warm, textured square, it is basically just 3 pattern rows, but they need to be knitted in blocks of 6 to form the pattern (12 rows total)

Pink square by Louise Tidman (UK)

Pink & blue squares by Wendy Hinson (Australia)

These squares look great in a blanket mixed with Plain Jane squares (PJ’s)

The Alternating Broken Rib Knit Pattern is available in The KAS Pattern Book where other patterns are available, please try as many as you like.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

Our mailing address:

Our KAS Shop is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week!

^^^^^^^^^^^^

MAMA N'TOMBI COMMUNITY PROJECTS

Report from LOUISE TIDMAN

Due to the huge volume of items my group of 80+ ladies create I recently sent a shipment of knitted/crocheted items to Sandra Pillay, Project Manager/Fundraiser with MNCP. Below are two photos Sandra sent me from the distribution of our goodies to 300 children in the informal settlements where MNCP provide assistance.

Continue reading about Mama N'Tombi Community Projects 

^^^^^^^^^^^^

THE AUGUST SQUARES LIST HAS BEEN DELAYED.

WE SINCERELY APOLOGIZE AND ASK FOR YOUR PATIENCE.

WE WILL HAVE IT FOR YOU VERY SOON ...

^^^^^^^^^^^^

THE BLANKET ROOM

Have you ever spotted your squares in a blanket in South Africa?  Many of our contributors have.  While it would be impossible to photograph every square and every blanket that arrives, we are always treated to a random selection to browse through and enjoy.  Your work will quite possibly show up in the photos so check out the BLANKET ROOM often!

^^^^^^^^^^^^

!!!  NEW MASTHEAD  !!!

In case you didn't notice (but of course you did!), we now have our very own brand new, professionally designed, one-of-a-kind masthead for our beloved monthly newsletter - KAS Snippets!

Thank you Andrea P for sharing your knowledge and your talent, for your congenial personality, and your incredible ability to please everyone!

To our esteemed panel of judges (C, V, B, & A), thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and opinions and helping us to choose the best of the best!  KAS Snippets now has a masthead that we are all extremely proud of.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

LITTLE LIBRARIES

by Joan Anthony

You can find magic wherever you look

Sit back and relax, all you need is a book. (Dr. Seuss)

Little Libraries (LL) was started in 2013 by Camille Quine as an act of kindness to one school and was not intended as a project but, like KAS and Topsy, it just grew.

It has been mentioned before as it now distributes educational supplies for KAS.

LL builds and delivers small, colourful little libraries to care facilities in underprivileged areas, providing a cheerful corner where kids can learn, dream and enjoy a whole new world through words and pictures.  They are a painted bookcase with books and a small cupboard is often also donated for supplies.

After 6 months there were 13 LL.  They have now delivered 150 - that is over 5,500 children who previously had little or no access to books representing about 19,000 books.

For Mandela Day, the 100th library was delivered which was a large community library in a container.  This is for children of all ages and 250 now attend a reading club there.  The children in the creches are 1-5.

To continue reading about this wonderful endeavor, and to find out how you can help, visit:  LITTLE LIBRARIES.

You need to be a member of Square Circle Forum to add comments!

Join Square Circle Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Great masthead - so uplifting and vibrant.. Thank you for showcasing all the work being done for the chilDren. As a retired librarian, I was particularly interested in the Little Libraries project.
  • Great to see this edition of snippets has been posted on the KAS Facebook page. :)))
    • Indeed it is Louise. I have shared it :)

• Thank you Joan , it is really good to keep sharing the Facebook page . This helps to spread the word about he wonderful work KAS does :))
  • I agree, a superb edition of Snippets and I love the redesign and the energy that vibrates through this whole issue!  Way to go everyone involved with this issue...bravo Glo!

• I haven't been on the forum very much this month, so thank you for bringing me up to date in such style, Gloria. Another fabulous edition and I think the new masthead is perfect!

• Great read....great masthead.......thanks Glo and Andrea.........you girls ROCK!!!

• Thank you, Glo, for such a comprehensive report.  So much of what we do is incorporated into the new masthead.  Great work, Andrea!

• Great team work everyone, and, special thanks to Andrea for the wonderful masthead - a super surprise!

• Thank you Glo for another jam packed edition of Snippets....there is so much to read. The new masthead is fantastic, thank you Andrea and all who were involved :))
This reply was deleted.