KASCUDDLE - UPDATED PATTERN 2012

KASCUDDLE - UPDATED PATTERN - 03/12

The suggestion for the KASCuddle came from Helen Flagg who developed the pattern for the knitted version. The crochet pattern was developed by Anne Powell. Originally, these were made in a smaller size, but Ronda has requested some changes and the new requirements are shown in the patterns below and supercede ALL previous ones on our various sites.

The KASCuddle is designed to be an outer garment, like a “little sleeping bag” to be used over whatever clothing the baby might be wearing.  The size (30" circumference, 35" long) will make it useful for babies up to the age of about 9 months. The ‘cuff’ or ‘collar’ can be rolled up to lay younger babies’ heads on, or rolled down as the babies grow. 

For our South African babies, it can be used both during the day when the baby is being carried, or as a sleep sack at night, when many of these babies sleep on the ground snuggled beside their caregivers. For these little ones, the KASCuddle has the advantage of staying in place at night, unlike a blanket which can be kicked off.

These are very simple garments to make, and are much needed. Have fun with them and be as creative as you wish..Feel free to experiment with colour, stripes,cables - whatever - but we recommend that this garment be made with soft “baby friendly” yarn in a close weave such as garter stitch or single crochet so there are few gaps and maximum warmth.  Both patterns call for using a two strands of worsted weight yarn

If you make a KASCuddle and post a photo in the Photo section, please consider posting a note and the photo in this discussion as well.  Our Photo section has grown so alarmingly that things are hard to find, so inserting your KASCuddle here as well will inspire others.

KNITTED KASCUDDLE by HELEN FLAGG

Finished dimensions: 30" circumference, 35" length including ribbed cuff . Note: The entire KASCuddle is worked with 2 strands of yarn

Materials

Suggested yarn: 21oz.  worsted weight yarn such as wool, acrylic-wool blend, or acrylic.

Suggested needle size: US 13 (9mm) circular needle 29 inches (70cm)

Pattern

Cast on 82 stitches using the Long Tail Cast-On. 

If you are not familiar with this technique, there’s an excellent video at  www.knittinghelp.com/video/play/long-tail-cast-on  Or if you prefer to work from a diagram, check out the instructions at www.butlercountryknit.com/longtail.pdf

Step 1 the collar

Row 1: K2, P2 across the row

Row 2: P2, K2 across the row

working flat repeat rows 1 and 2 until your collar measures 5" from the cast-on edge

Step 2  joining the work in the round

Be sure to begin with 2 knit stitches when you join the ends of the collar.  If you are presented with 2 purl stitches, knit another row of P2 K2.

Once the ends of the collar are joined, continue knitting around on the circular needlethe  until the body of the Cuddle is 30 inches long

Step 3: Bind off your KASCuddle using your preferred method

Step 4: Sew the front and back together so the bottom is closed and flat..  Using a tapestry needle, weave in any tails of yarn and you’re done.

CROCHETED KASCUDDLE by ANNE POWELL

Finished dimensions: 30" circumference, 35" length including  cuff   Note: The entire KASCuddle is worked with 2 strands of yarn

Materials

Suggested yarn: 21 oz. Worsted weight yarn such as wool, acrylic-wool blend, or acrylic

Suggested hook size: 6mm

Yarn requirements depend on  your crochet tension. After making one, you will have a better idea of how much you need.  Note: this is also a good way to use up some of the yarns in your stash by using stripes.

Pattern

Chain loosely 78 chains (foundation row)

Step 1: the collar

Row 1 - SC into second chain from hook and SC across row.

Row 2: same as Row 1

Continue until work measures about 1" then measure width.  The piece should measure 30" - but since yarn weight and individual tensions vary, it is a good idea to measure at this point. This is a good place to stop and assess in case you need to adjust the number of stitches you are using.

Continue in SC until you have completed a strip 5" from beginning row. This forms the 5"x 30" cuff.

Step 2: - Join 2 ends of work with a slip stitch and continue working in SC until work

measures 35 “ long from beginning row, including collar.  End off.

Step 3: Sew the front and back together so the bottom is closed and flat..  Using a tapestry needle, weave in any tails of yarn and you’re done.

You need to be a member of Square Circle Forum to add comments!

Join Square Circle Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• My 1st KAScuddle

What started out a quick project became something of an epic, between a couple of bouts of bad back and being busy with work and family. Finished knitting it last Sunday...finally sewed it together just now. Despite having bought more 12 & 8 ply specifically to make a few more, the weather has turned warmer (after very windy and rainy weather at the start of the week) and humid...so we will see. Although it may appear narrower at the bottom, I have checked and it isn't...must just be the angle taken.

• Oh Bev, this is just beautiful!! And it IS perfect! The only condition for perfection for me is that it exists. Because you made it, a baby will be kept warm. That is all that matters!

I hope that your back is better and that you get to rest during the holidays (we can hope, right?)!

• You're amazing, Bev!  Your time moderating on the forum just makes my head spin, let alone knitting for KAS and working full-time.

• Mili, this year I have gone back to working just 3 days per week, so I have had more time.  :)) Glad to hear that other KASers cuddles are not exactly the right size...when I try something new I tend to want to try to make it perfect....I think that's what puts me off trying something new...lol 

• I love this, Bev. The colours remind me of cinnamon and nutmeg. It's extremely elegant. Just right for the modern baby about town! Seriously though, there's going to be one lucky baby.

I've just started a new cuddle. So far I've done 4 ins of the collar and it's a nightmare. I started witth 30 ins across. After 2 rows it had grown to 31 ins. So..I decreased at regular intervals over the next rows....but it still measures 31 ins. As soon as I've done the 5 ins of collar, I'm going to switch to a smaller hook and decrease a couple more rows and see what happens.

• Thanks Valerie.

I knitted this in two halves, front and back and joined the collars at the sides...it got so heavy.... and very warm...hee hee. Don't think I could handle the weight of the whole thing at once. You are braver than I. I did try and crochet the two halves together...but haven't crocheted in soooo long and it seemed to pucker up the sides so unpicked and just sewed it.

GOOD LUCK with your endeavours to narrow yours down. I found the size 9mm needles made mine too gappy for my liking so I used 7.5mm needles and adjusted the stitches accordingly...I was a little out in my calculations as mine ended up about 32" around...learning curve.... will have a few less stitches on next one.  :))

• Bev..........don't "sweat" the extra two inches.  Ronda has bigger babies that need warming; remember it's just a sack!  When we consider that the caregivers (I hesitate to say "moms" because most of these precious ones don't have moms) will put on the babies whatever clothes they have and maybe another blanket wrapped around before they go into the cuddles, the extra 2" for the bigger babies works well.

When we all think of our bitterest cold days and those babies sleeping in unheated shacks, we can see how layers and layers around them will keep out the cold.  Glad to hear your cuddle is a heavy one.

• Helen, when I'm making a cuddle I always think of myself lying on the ground in winter and then put in as much wool content into the cuddle as I have in that colour.  Bev, really don't sweat it.  Mine come out in various sizes, too. 

• Thanks so much, Helen.  :)) Wasn't actually going to own up to making it wider until Valerie said that she was having trouble keeping hers to 30".  :))

• 2930177735?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

This is my monthly cuddle for November.

This cuddle was knitted in two pieces using one strand of chunky (bulky) knit yarn and one of double-knit (worsted?). It is stocking stitch with 40 stitches on 9mm needles. The collar is 14 rows of double ribbing to make the 5" required. The two pieces were crocheted together using double crochet (UK term).
    Flowers are crocheted and sewn on (firmly!) afterwards.

This reply was deleted.