KasSnippets - March 2014

REPORTS FROM SOUTH AFRICA

A Riot of Colour at Hobby-X

Well, the activities of the last couple of weeks have been somewhat different to the run of the mill operation for KAS in South Africa.  A great deal of our time has been taken up by our participation in a large exhibition in Johannesburg – Hobby X – and, of course, moving into our new premises.

This week we will give you feedback on what was a very successful marketing opportunity for KAS in South Africa.  Gina approached Hobby X and asked whether they would allow us to raise awareness at this event and, after supplying them with details on KAS, they were only too happy to give us a double stand, at no cost, to market our cause.

To read the full Report and see the discussion comments : please click here

Other recent reports : Blankets for the children in Springs and

A day in Dobsonville with David

OFFICES - KAS HAS MOVED !

Oti and a gentleman from Little Loads empty Ronda's garage!

After a two month long search and numerous attempts at securing sponsored premises for KAS, we made a business decision to rent a small office from which we can run the KAS operation in South Africa.

The main move took place at the beginning of March, since when we have been moving across in bits and pieces.  Our new office, unit 2J, in the Surrey Bizhub Office Park on Surrey Avenue in Randburg is part of a shared office facility.  The office is situated near the Randburg CBD and is about a 10 minute drive from the Bryanston Post Office where all the mail arrives. 

Although the office itself is small, one of the benefits of the shared office arrangement is that we are able to use a lovely BIG boardroom which we book every Thursday morning.  The added bonus is that this boardroom is on the ground floor – a blessing when hauling in all the mail from the KASvan. 

Thanks for your great encouragement and support, verbal and financial, as we moved to sort out the accommodation challenge!  We will be running a report that features all the details of the move and our new office space shortly! 

POSTAGE TO SOUTH AFRICA

PLEASE SPREAD THE WORD : THAT IT IS VITAL TO ONLY WRITE THE ABSOLUTE MINIMUM VALUE ON PARCELS BEING SENT TO KNIT-A-SQUARE, PLEASE SEE DISCUSSION! 

Zero Tolerance Discussion

Two hours to collect MASSIVE post - KasVan is loaded to the roof. Even so, had to leave 3 parcels with excessive charges because senders are putting values on their parcels ... ie. £20 on envelope smaller than A4 size !!!!

"KAS REACHES GREAT HEIGHTS FOR CHILDREN"

A JOURNEY AROUND THE WORLD !

This challenge is going to take us around the planet whilst reaching great heights & piles of squares - 178,000 to be precise, in order to reach the top of Table Mountain, Cape Town in South Africa!

We are going to need 50 squares for every foot climbed!

During the past month we have charged back and forth across the globe, visiting England, France, Australia, Scotland, Italy and are currently in Switzerland!

The Jet d'Eau in Geneva, Switzerland 

Here is the link to KAS Reaches Great Heights for Children

Normally at this point we post a message reminding members that we currently have a surplus of hats and beanies!

Sadly, that situation hasn't changed!

However, Knit-a-Square has come up with an alternative suggestion for those who love to create hats - we are asking members to switch to

Hand-Warmers!

To this end Linda (Canada) has developed both crochet and knitted version, which will eventually be added to the KAS Pattern Book!

However, in order to spread-the-word about this development widely and speedily we are printing the patterns in this edition of KasSnippets - Linda writes :

KASquares have been keeping children in South Africa warm during their cold nights.  More and more children are snuggling under a KASblanket every day.

A beanie is given with each blanket and is a warm head topper.  The enthusiasm with which KAS knitters and crocheters responded when asked for beanies has meant an overwhelming number of beanies for Ronda and the team to store…at least 2 beanies for every blanket.

Now we would like to introduce a new item as an alternative to making beanies:

Hand-Warmers

Crochet Hand-Warmers on a 6 year old

These Hand-Warmers are fast and easy to make, either with a hook or needles. They use less than 50 grams/1.8 ounces of yarn which will be the perfect way to use up those smaller balls of yarn.

Hand-Warmers are a great item for the children to wear when the weather is chilly. They have already proved popular with the children in other parts of the country.  The fingers are free while the child’s hands and wrists are kept warm. 

As Ronda mentioned:  “I think they are fun and helpful to the kids … better than gloves in terms of easier fitting and fingers free, too.”

This pattern is basically a square that will fold around the hand, leaving an opening for the thumb. The ribbed pattern, in both the crochet and knit version, allows the hand-warmer to stretch to fit the hands of a child up to 9 years.

KAS Hand-Warmers-Crochet Pattern

Materials:

• Soft, warm yarn in appropriate weight for the hook size
  • Hook: 4.00 mm/ 6 US
  • Yarn needle

Abbreviations:   Note: Pattern uses American terminology 

American

British

slip stitch (sl st)

single crochet (sc)

single crochet (sc)

double crochet(dc)

Instructions:
 (Make 2)

Chain 26.

Row 1:  Sc in second chain from hook and in each chain to end. (25 sts) Turn.

Row 2: Chain 1, Sc in Back Loop of each st. Turn.

Repeat row 2 until piece measures 5.5 inches/14 cm.  End, leaving a long tail for sewing.

Join the two sides.  Beginning at top edge, sew sides together for 1 inch/2.5 cm, leave next 1.5 in/4 cm open for thumb, sew remainder of sides together. 

Repeat instructions for second hand warmer.

KAS Hand-Warmers-Knit pattern

Materials:

• Soft, warm yarn in appropriate weight for the needle size
  • 4.00mm/6 US needles
  • Yarn needle

Instructions: (Make 2)

Cast on 36 sts.
Row 1: Knit2, Purl2 to end
Row 2: Knit2, Purl2 to end
Repeat row 2 until work measures approx. 6 inches/15cm

Cast off, leaving a long tail for sewing.

Join the two sides.  Beginning at top edge, sew sides together for 1 inch/2.5 cm, leave next 1.5 in/4 cm open for thumb, sew remainder of sides together. 

Repeat instructions for second hand warmer.

WHAT'S GOING ON IN SOUTH AFRICA?

JOHN CRANE HOUSE - update and more!

You may recall that last year we provided blankets and other goodies for this completed John Crane Girl's House, and, the Soul Provider Trust were preparing to start the process of building the Boy's House!

Well, they finally managed to complete the Mike Howes Boy's House and Knit-a-Square, once again, supplied blankets and goodies to provide the much need comforts for the children.

If you haven't read the Report from South Africa link, here it is again

Blankets for the children in Springs 

We posted this story on Facebook, and, here are some of the lovely comments we received :

Adele : So so so amazing. I've only joined recently and this has just inspired me to get a wriggle on. Awesome.

Kirsti : Such a heart-warming story

Sue : The pictures of those children make me smile! And what a fantastic building.

Danielle : This story broke my heart - and then I came to the part about those wonderful people and wonderful company that built those tiny little ones there own home! God bless them all!

Further update - from The Soul Provider Trust

"Recently Rev Brent visited the kids at Kwasa School in Springs and delivered a huge load of beanies and blankets for the kids in both Mike Howes Boys House and John Crane Girls House.  These items had been beautifully knitted and donated by the members of Knit-A-Square especially for the Kwasa Kids.

The pic show the kids with their beanies and blankies, with Revs Brent and Sharron and their teachers in the background.

A huge thank you to Ronda Lowrie and Wendy Hardy of Knit-A-Square for this magnificent gift.  Each blanket had a tag attached reading: "This blanket was made for you by caring people from around the world to let you know just how much you are loved!"

Check this wonderful project out at www.knit-a-square.com.  Maybe you can help them, especially with winter coming on."

You might also enjoy reading a report from Mama Ntombi Community Projects

Pleased to report that a farmer has provided another load of butternut squashes for the community at Ezinketheni. It is a huge blessing for these destitute families! They are perfectly edible mis-shapes that are not saleable.

To read more on this and other stories please visit our

THE BLANKET ROOM COLLECTION !

The Blanket Room Collection - this particularly blanket was sent complete by Chantelle (South Africa) as a special memorial blanket for Frans, a dear friend of the family who would have had his birthday in March. Chantelle added, I cannot give him a gift, but I can make a child warm in his memory.

Mostly knit-a-square prefer members to send the squares to be stitched into blankets loose, however, it is perfectly OK to send special blankets such as these made up ready for distribution.

The JBay Recycling Project for Children

& Stitch Witch News

The Stitch Witch Group held a 'Square Sorting Party' - the team sorted over 2,000 squares into batches of 35 to make up blanket packs for stitching into blankets.

Please click here for more photographs and the

latest news from the Stitch Witches & JBay Recycling

SORTED IN AFRICA

Here are a couple of opening day photographs.  To see more open day photographs please go to Sorted in Africa

A delightful photograph of Lindi, Wandi and Oti during the final opening day session at Ronda's house!

SPREADING THE WORD &

GROUP NEWS!

"As Fiandeiras" in Brazil

THE INFLUENCE OF KNIT-A-SQUARE IS SPREADING!

Last year a lady named Claudia contacted KAS via Facebook to say she wanted to help. However, she lives in Brazil, and, we know that people there need help just as much as Africa, especially the children living on dumps and in sewers. Therefore, we very politely suggested the possibility of a group to help local children. Claudia said she would think about it.
Claudia is the lady in red!
Since then Claudia has kept in touch, and, now has a thriving group "As Fiandeiras" - We've posted onto the Forum Facebook page to share with KAS members - they already have 164 on their FB page!
If you would like to read about it, here is the link - there are two separate pieces and photos on: As Fiandeiras on the KAS Forum
So you can see the KAS seeds are growing!

THE AUSTRALIAN GUMNUTS GROUP
Raised a profit of $700 to cover their postage by baking and selling 100 quiche & salad lunches!
Below is the wonderful sight of 200 squares ready to be posted - their February target - tired but happy little Gumnuts!
FUNDRAISING TEA COZYS
Fundraising tea cozys

Deborah Lawson (Canberra, Australia) has been busy knitting some tea cozy's to sell for Mothers's Day and raise postage cash!

HIGH TEAS FOR RAISING FUNDS !

Elaine Game (Tasmania Island, Australia) has also been raising postage funds by organising a High Tea event, and, to make it extra special they have gather together a collection of fine china cups and saucers!

To read the discussion and see more pics please go to High Teas

AUSTRALIAN SHEEP AND WOOL SHOW !

18th, 19th and 20th July

This year, the show's Woolcraft committee has generously donated a space in the community area for a dedicated 

KasCare Sit-And-Knit!

We'll be there all three days, teaching people to knit and crochet and sharing stories from KAS with passionate wool crafters and professionals.

This is a fantastic opportunity for KasCare to speak to a huge number of passionate and dedicated crafters, but it's also a great weekend out for anyone who loves wool. If you're planning on going to the show this year and have a bit of time to spare, we'd love for to have you help out on the table for a little while. Just send me a PM letting me know and we'll organize something!

To read the full discussion Please click here

also

You can read more about the Sheep and Wool show here:

http://www.sheepshow.com/

Or read more about Australian Woolcraft, who manage the community space we will be in, here:

http://australianwoolcraft.com/

KAS MONTHLY CHALLENGES

There have been some lovely representations of various aspects of the planet, and, here is a selection!
March 2014 Challenge - Around the World in 31 DaysMARCH 2014 CHALLENGE -Irelandred white and blueMARCH 2014 CHALLENGE South PacificMarch 2014 Challenge - Around the World in 31 DaysMarch 2014 - Star & StripesMarch 2014 - Mardi GrasMARCH 2014 CHALLENGE - Canada - MooseMarch 2014 - Bald EagleMarch 2014 Challenge : English Tudor RoseMarch14 Around the World Native American Bear SymbolMARCH 2014 CHALLENGE - Japan - cherry blossomsMarch 2014 Challenge - Around the World in 31 DaysMarch 2014 Challenge - Around the World in 31 DaysMarch - Ocean Waves and White Caps

Also received this month our first KasCuddle made on
an Oval Loom from Kathleen Fowler!

We hope to persuade Kathleen to write-up the pattern and technique for 

The April Challenge - will be Colour Collision
lead by Elaine Jones

2014 Challenge Themes

Here is the list for the rest of the year! 

APRIL - COLOUR COLLISION - Elaine Jones

MAY - MELLOW YELLOW - Sunshine, flowers & all things yellow - Sue Gillman

JUNE - DAY OF THE AFRICAN CHILD - Robin Monsees

JULY - STRIPES, ZIG ZAGS & TEXTURES & MANDELA DAY THEME - Anne Powell

AUGUST - THE BEAUTY OF BLUES - Susan Haines

SEPTEMBER - VARIEGATED YARN - Gitta Seyfert

OCTOBER – FAVOURITES – favourite yarn, patterns etc - Mary Anne Fellows

NOVEMBER - BUGS, SLUGS & HUGS - Linda Maltby

DECEMBER - UN-CHALLENGE - time to relax, have fun, and get ready for the holidays - Susan Haines

SQUARE LISTS

TALLY  or ITEM COUNT

March 2014 SquaresRacing StripesNo Sew Go-Over for January to April ChallengeSquares to goVest by Evelyne Martin for Clear Lake Methodistcuddle 2 001 _01

UNFORTUNATELY, DUE TO THE OFFICE MOVING, HOBBY-X AND EVERYONE GOING DOWN WITH FLU, WE DO NOT YET HAVE THE FEBRUARY SQUARE LISTS - THEY WILL BE AVAILABLE AS SOON AS GINA IS BACK ON HER FEET!

APRIL PATTERN OF THE MONTH

by Linda Maltby

Six Stitch Rib Square - a knit pattern by Helen Flagg (USA)

As well as making squares which are thicker and warmer, ribbed squares have almost no curl around the edges.  This makes them great, sturdy edge squares in a blanket.

This is a lovely pattern and very useful for using up oddments of yarn as it is very forgiving of colour changes and joins.

As with all rib patterns it does look a little narrower than required until it is lightly stretched so do check this before casting off as this will also affect the length.

Six Stitch Rib Pattern

3 Stitch Rib Variation (by Christine Johnson)

These examples used 33 stitches on 5mm needles but any multiple of three will work.

All rows are the same K2, P1 across the row.

Knit 56 rows to obtain 20 cm/8 inches.

All rib patterns tend to look narrower until lightly stretched so you need to measure the stretched work before casting off as the length will also be affected.

Six Stitch Rib Pattern

is one of the many patterns  along with 

Helen’s Two Stitch Rib

pattern also found in

The KAS Pattern Book

SQUARE HEART OF THE MONTH AWARD

Edited this month by Pam Antink

The Square Heart Award for March 2014

is for Yvette Tiedt - South Africa

Yvette with the yarn-winder sent by Mr. & Mrs. Nakagome of Japan, which has been found to be very useful!

Yvette worked at G4S for many years and was introduced to Knit-A-Square at one of their staff volunteer days, in fact on Mandela Day in 2011.  Yvette, being the perfectionist she is, offered to take home and complete some of the unfinished blankets and in some instances “unpick the bits that are not quite right”.  Little did Yvette know that this kind offer would see her become heavily involved in KAS SA and her home literally become a working KAS facility!

When Yvette returned the few blankets she had “fixed” for us, she asked whether she could take a box of knitted mis-shapes (we get these at times!) in order to unpick them and then she would use that wool to crochet them into blankets for us.  We were blown away by what Yvette was able to produce with the wool from these bits and bobs – I am sure you will agree with me when you look at the collage of some of her blankets.  Well, that was it – a large box was installed at the KAS office and our problem bits and pieces were added to “Yvette’s Box”.

Yvette has now involved her mother, Peggy, and Salome, a lady who does housework for Yvette and who lives on the property.  Peggy loves to knit baby booties and jackets for KAS and does them beautifully.  Salome, who is missing the index finger on her left hand, has been taught, by Yvette, how to crochet and they spend many happy mornings crocheting for KAS. I cannot even guess how many blankets Yvette and her team have made for KAS now, but we just love, love, love her! 

A selection of Yvette's blankets!

To read the rest of the award, please click here

KAS FACEBOOK PAGE

We have received an additional 140 Likes on the Facebook page so far during February-March taking our total to 7,042 - hurrah we have broken through the 7k barrier!    We also copy the messages etc received on Facebook to the Forum for anyone who is not a member of FB.

FINAL THOUGHTS

Two more wonderful photographs that reflect
the Heart of Knit-a-Square

You need to be a member of Square Circle Forum to add comments!

Join Square Circle Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Another wonderful Snippets, packed full of  information, ideas, heart warming stories and so much to get us even busier with our needles.  I mean to have a go at handwarmers..   

• Pam this is wonderful - such a cross section of all our news and KAS happenings.  Thanks for all your hard work on our behalf - hugs from everyone at KAS SA xoxoxoxoxo

• Thanks for lovely newsletter - makes me feel part of the caring in the wider world. I have made squares and hats and knitted 'brothers', but am inspired to try the handwarmers next - thanks for the ideas. 

• A mine of information and with these smiles on my face I shall now go to bed.  I am SO grateful for all the kind loving hearts reaching out and working so hard, to surround these children with love and warmth and encouragement.  Bravo everyone and I fully agree with the Square Heart Award going to Yvette, what an inspiration she is!

• Pam, what an awesome edition.  Heartwarming and so evocative of this wonderful community and the work you all do.  I am always completely in awe of the dynamics of KAS.  The way it has grown and sewn seeds in so many communities around the world.  I wonder how many people know about the children now as a result of what you are all doing, who did not know before.  Thank you for what you are all continuing to do and to you Pam for keeping everyone so well informed.  Love Sandy

• What a really exciting and encouraging roundup of news - thanks, Pam! I feel so privileged to be playing my small part in it all. God bless you all! 

• Another wonderful summary of the busy month in KASland !   The team in S.A. has done a great job with Hobby X, moving and still taking time to sort the thousands and thousands squares that are sent every month.

• What an awesome newsletter Pam!! Great job, I really enjoyed seeing & hearing all the news!!
  • Pam what a wonderful and inspiring newsletter. Thank you.Shirley

• But its great to see that you have a new office !! I've got a few more parcels to send out to you which I was holding back on until I heard you were settled. Next week I'm working part time so will be able to get those out to you!

This reply was deleted.