Christmas handout for 150 children in Soweto.

Report by Megan

from

Beanies for Beings

Sunday 3rd December   It was a tough day, mentally, emotionally and spiritually. Gary and myself arrived with the Knit-A-Square team of ladies, Nani, Wandi, Mabel, Lindi and Vivian as well as the team of 20 from Meals on Wheels.

Image may contain: 5 people, people smiling, people standing
We were packed and ready for our distribution of food, toiletries, clothes, blankets, gifts, party packs, beanies and scarves for 150 children.
Upon arrival we couldn't even drive up to the tiny little tent attached to a shack in the heart of Soweto and had to carry all of these goods quite a way because of the road conditions.

Image may contain: sky, tree, car, outdoor and nature
It was hot, space was minimal under the little tent to set up, there were over 30 of us together to distribute, but despite that spirits were high, we were positive and excited.

Image may contain: one or more people and food

The noise levels of the children waiting outside escalated due to excitement and anticipation and the Knit- A-Square ladies full of laughs, joy and song kept us going until it was time to hand out.
We opened in prayer and praise and allowed the children through to receive their hampers.

Image may contain: 14 people, people smiling
Some so tiny they could barely carry their gifts, alone, unsupervised, some with their mothers and others in groups of friends.

Image may contain: one or more people and people standing

Image may contain: 7 people, people smiling

Image may contain: 3 people, people smiling, people sitting

Image may contain: 3 people, selfie

We handed out at the speed of light, our piles of gifts and buckets rapidly decreasing, the line of children carried on and on and on.

The little faces pressed against the fence and tent anxiously waiting their turn........ 150 gifts and hampers and food trays given out in 25 minutes flat.

Image may contain: 4 people, people smiling, crowd and outdoor

The line didn't end. The little bodies still standing there empty handed. Our hearts sank, the festive feeling rapidly overtaken by sadness, guilt, disbelief.
There must have been easily another 150 children there that arrived and got nothing.
I can't explain how tough this past week has been, trying to reconcile the fact that so many went without.
The need is heartbreaking, soul destroying. I vow to never ever let that happen again.
The final handover that we did was 30 handbags and cooler bags filled with toiletries and gifts for the ladies and gentlemen who assisted was done with much excitement and gratitude from the recipients.
We left with heavy hearts and a new determination to make 2018 better for more children.

Scroll the comments on page 1 to read about another distribution with an upbeat ending.

You need to be a member of Square Circle Forum to add comments!

Join Square Circle Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• It's Christmas Day and, after being thankful for all that I have in my life, I'm wondering what it willl take for there to be no more hungry, abused and vulnerable children. There is so much waste in our consumer society and a lot of ndifference to the plight of others. The KAS distribution team are the best. Not only do they go out in often very difficult areas, but they do it with love and compassion.

My love and best wishes to you all.

• Heartbreaking to know that so many children were not able to receive anything, shows that there is a huge need. I do hope there can be lots more available for next year so that no one misses out.

Is there anything we can do to improve the amount of items that will be available for next year?

• I hope that you can return there sometime to distribute to the other children and if you can, give us warning so we can ramp up our efforts to help out, be it by making something or financially.   It's a sobering reminder to see these children and how they live during a time over here of excess of all material goods.   Thank you for all that you do ladies, and thank you Linda for sharing these distributions with us.  I appreciate knowing that the need is as keen as ever, it spurs me on.

• Here is another distribution...that ends on a more upbeat note:

Thank you from the bottom of our hearts for the beautiful blankets, hand warmers, beanies and toys! We dropped off the items for the Children of Remar South Africa. The children have come from extremely disadvantaged backgrounds, from severely abusive environments , and many have ended up on the streets with their mothers from no fault of their own. The people come to the organisation for help and care and have a sincere desire to change their lives. They are assisted to get back on their feet again to go back to their communities as responsible members of society.  Wendy TA

Image may contain: 2 people, people smiling, people standing

Image may contain: 4 people, people smiling, people sitting

Image may contain: 1 person, sitting

Image may contain: one or more people and people sitting

Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, sitting

• Thanks so much Linda for sharing this distribution....the girl with the 2 hats.....hilarious! So good to see that they have a lot of fun!

• You're right, Linda!  This is a much happier story.  I'm thinking how nice it would be if one or two of these young ladies were to examine the blanket squares and decide they would like to learn to knit or crochet.  Would the supplies and lessons be available to them, I wonder ... xo

• Hi Gloria.  I send parcels to JBAY for their recycling day op shop.  They ask for knitting needles and yarn, as knitting is quite popular with the teenage girls in their programme.  Last year I organised  big collection of knitting needles through our local Church and sent to them. I suppose it varies from neighbourhood to neighbourhood.  I remember when we were kids in primary school in the 1950's, those that could knit taught their friends who couldn't. (Showing my age haha)

• How wonderful, Susanne!  Where, exactly, did you send the needles?  And how did you send them? 

The RJSK have an abundance of donated needles and hooks that I may be able to persuade them to send.  We have a borrowing system at the library for anyone needing a special size for a project, but there are always lots of extras.  It would be lovely to think they could be put into the hands of a teen who could otherwise not get them ... xo 

• Glo, I send parcels to JBay for their recycling shop.  via Giita Seyfert, Stitch Witches Knitting Charity, PO Box 1128, Jefferys Bay 6330,  South Africa.   My parcels seem to take at least 8-12 to arrive but I do get notification of their arrival.

I have seen children with items I have sent in photos posted on JBay FB, which is always a thrill.  Xx

• Forgot to say, when sending needles I tie them together and cover them in a couple of layers of thick bubble wrapping using lots of tape especially at the pointy end. I always note on the packing slip that needles are in the parcel. 

This reply was deleted.