Square Circle Forum

Christmas handout for 150 children in Soweto.

Report by Megan

from

Beanies for Beings

Sunday 3rd December   It was a tough day, mentally, emotionally and spiritually. Gary and myself arrived with the Knit-A-Square team of ladies, Nani, Wandi, Mabel, Lindi and Vivian as well as the team of 20 from Meals on Wheels.

Image may contain: 5 people, people smiling, people standing
We were packed and ready for our distribution of food, toiletries, clothes, blankets, gifts, party packs, beanies and scarves for 150 children.
Upon arrival we couldn't even drive up to the tiny little tent attached to a shack in the heart of Soweto and had to carry all of these goods quite a way because of the road conditions.

Image may contain: sky, tree, car, outdoor and nature
It was hot, space was minimal under the little tent to set up, there were over 30 of us together to distribute, but despite that spirits were high, we were positive and excited.

Image may contain: one or more people and food

The noise levels of the children waiting outside escalated due to excitement and anticipation and the Knit- A-Square ladies full of laughs, joy and song kept us going until it was time to hand out.
We opened in prayer and praise and allowed the children through to receive their hampers.

Image may contain: 14 people, people smiling
Some so tiny they could barely carry their gifts, alone, unsupervised, some with their mothers and others in groups of friends.

Image may contain: one or more people and people standing

Image may contain: 7 people, people smiling

Image may contain: 3 people, people smiling, people sitting

Image may contain: 3 people, selfie

We handed out at the speed of light, our piles of gifts and buckets rapidly decreasing, the line of children carried on and on and on.

The little faces pressed against the fence and tent anxiously waiting their turn........ 150 gifts and hampers and food trays given out in 25 minutes flat.

Image may contain: 4 people, people smiling, crowd and outdoor

The line didn't end. The little bodies still standing there empty handed. Our hearts sank, the festive feeling rapidly overtaken by sadness, guilt, disbelief.
There must have been easily another 150 children there that arrived and got nothing.
I can't explain how tough this past week has been, trying to reconcile the fact that so many went without.
The need is heartbreaking, soul destroying. I vow to never ever let that happen again.
The final handover that we did was 30 handbags and cooler bags filled with toiletries and gifts for the ladies and gentlemen who assisted was done with much excitement and gratitude from the recipients.
We left with heavy hearts and a new determination to make 2018 better for more children.

Scroll the comments on page 1 to read about another distribution with an upbeat ending.

Views: 628

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I hope that you can return there sometime to distribute to the other children and if you can, give us warning so we can ramp up our efforts to help out, be it by making something or financially.   It's a sobering reminder to see these children and how they live during a time over here of excess of all material goods.   Thank you for all that you do ladies, and thank you Linda for sharing these distributions with us.  I appreciate knowing that the need is as keen as ever, it spurs me on.

Heartbreaking to know that so many children were not able to receive anything, shows that there is a huge need. I do hope there can be lots more available for next year so that no one misses out.

Is there anything we can do to improve the amount of items that will be available for next year?

It's Christmas Day and, after being thankful for all that I have in my life, I'm wondering what it willl take for there to be no more hungry, abused and vulnerable children. There is so much waste in our consumer society and a lot of ndifference to the plight of others. The KAS distribution team are the best. Not only do they go out in often very difficult areas, but they do it with love and compassion.

My love and best wishes to you all.

RSS

DONATE: KNIT-A-SQUARE

Monthly donation:

Payment Options

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One time donation:

FINANCIAL REPORT

Since the start of our appeal in March 2017 we have raised $29744.

This is really helping to give KAS financial stability

Thank you all !!!

Link : LATEST KAS FINANCIAL UPDATE 

SHOP

VISIT THE KAS SHOP

HERE

BUY THE KAS 2018 CALENDAR HERE

SQUARES LIST

The DECEMBER 2017 Squares List is available. Please visit the website http://www.knit-a-square.com and click on "Received Squares"

HELPFUL HINTS

New to the forum?

Please click on

HELPFUL HINTS tab

at the top of this  

page

HAVE A QUESTION?             

Please click here

© 2018   Created by Sandy McDonald.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service