This is what I have been doing lately when I have been confined mostly to chair following a fractured spine, diagnosis of Lung disease and Diabetes.. last two in the last mth.. however I sooo love these girls.. they are about 18 inches tall, hair takes about 4hrs and cannot be pulled out .. I paint the eyes on prepared felt, cut them out and stitch them  on the sculpted faces... If I were seriously only doing these , I could make one a week .. I am going to be sad to see them leave my lounge where for a month or so , they sat awaiting eyes and mouth.. now finished I have no excuse but to post them if you think you can use them... I found a book on knitted dolls, but had to correct and modify this particular doll as the body was a little too short and there were a few typo errors. actually major.. The jumpers and dresses I have made up myself... I want to type out the pattern and then I can post it here if anyone wants to try it..

You need to be a member of Square Circle Forum to add comments!

Join Square Circle Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Your work is stunning Elaine. The new owners will be filled with awe. 

May your healing time be filled with the same love you have expressed with your hands. 

• Thank you Deborah, I am healing each day , at least with the diabetes being found now and having pills , its improvement on a daily basis.. Wish the breathing could be fixed but am just so blessed to be able now to move around more , more energy, less time in the chair or bed on a mask, and even did my own shopping in town, a hours return trip, for the first time in nearly 12 mths, husband always does it but had other unbreakable commitments,, so thanks for you kind thoughts.

• OH MY GOSH I LOVE   THEM ! The children will be delighted!

• I am speechless by your creativity and talent.  These ladies are amazing and their painted eyes exquisite.  Thank you for sharing this beauty.

Anyone who receives one of these will feel very, very special.

Please take care of your health, you are fighting many battles at the moment.

• Thanks Amy, At least one of the battles is now diagnosed and can be treated, I am on medication now for diabetes and improved in 6 weeks out of site... Today is the first time in over 12 mths, I have driven myself to town, (45 kms, in and same back) and did my own shopping, husband usually does it .. but he had a commitment he had to go to and we needed medications, tomorrow is a public holiday , so I bit the bullet and wow, I am so stunned at myself, it was really hard being so breathless, its really hot and yet I did it.. I am paying for it now but once I reply to all the lovely ladies who took the time to comment on the dolls, I am off to bed .. blessings coming your way..

• Fabulous dolls, Elaine !! Many thanks. 

• Oh my life - these are just lovely!  What an amazingly talented lady you are!

I do hope you are feeling better soon - and that you are healing well.

• Thanks Rebecca,  My knitting is average at best, but one learns by mistakes.. one I make very early in the making was to use too big a needle for the body , it needs to be tighter that average knitting so that when you put in the filling it doesn't show through the brown skin, I made a lot of Aussie dolls and that never was a problem so much as the pink was closer to the filling colour.. I will be putting the pattern for these on once I can sit long enough to type out the whole doll from body to clothes to hair . I had been telling my doctor for 12 mths prior to being diagnosed as a diabetic, that my levels according to my sister monoter( I have two living a one deceased sisters,all diabetics) that they were really high.. but because the blood tests came back negative , she never said I had it.. it takes a glucose tolerance test for it to be found in my family and that never happened until about 6weeks ago.. yes its postive she said, now I am on medication and improving daily.. so thanks for you kind wishes , better late than never...

• Elaine, I have a similar pattern, and have a couple I have knitted... however not the gorgeous sculpted faces that you have done. Yours are stunning!  I think teenage girls would adore them!  

• Thank you Susanne,

Check out the reply to Anne Powell about face sculpturing, and putting on hair.. once you have done it a few times it becomes second nature , its a challenge to make them symettrical, that is the eyes are at the same level, the nostrils, same and the lips level, after that its amazing that each doll looks unique yet the principle of making is the same... I have only mad about a dozen but love it.. I can make one from start to finish in a week just sitting mostly of a night.. the thing that takes the longest is puttin on the hair, about three hours..

This reply was deleted.