Square Circle Forum

This is what I have been doing lately when I have been confined mostly to chair following a fractured spine, diagnosis of Lung disease and Diabetes.. last two in the last mth.. however I sooo love these girls.. they are about 18 inches tall, hair takes about 4hrs and cannot be pulled out .. I paint the eyes on prepared felt, cut them out and stitch them  on the sculpted faces... If I were seriously only doing these , I could make one a week .. I am going to be sad to see them leave my lounge where for a month or so , they sat awaiting eyes and mouth.. now finished I have no excuse but to post them if you think you can use them... I found a book on knitted dolls, but had to correct and modify this particular doll as the body was a little too short and there were a few typo errors. actually major.. The jumpers and dresses I have made up myself... I want to type out the pattern and then I can post it here if anyone wants to try it..

Views: 182

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

They're brilliant.  I wish I could do faces that well!
Hope you feel better soon.  

Dear Joan,m

Its quite easy once you  realise how to do it.. Using wool double , and long in a long sharp needle. before putting on the hair, go into the back and come out roughy where the inside eye will be. Go across to where the outside eye will be and come out centre back , pull the wool tight, you will see it makes the eye sockets.. making sure not to let go the tension, make a little back stitch so the tension stays tight.. now do the same on the other side..to make the bridge of the nose, come from the back again to the inside eye,, now go under with the needle to the other inner eye and pull up tight  till you have a bridge , and make a little back stitch again to seal..To form the nostril, go from the inner eye again , down to where you think the nostril would be.. then back to the inner eye and pull up , if you keep the tension on , you need not do a backstitch, instead, go back to the other inner eye and repeat the same , going down to the nostril , pull up so it matches the other side, and then do a little back stitch.Then go back to the back of the dolls head.. go from there to the front to where you think her outside lip ends, go across to the other outer lip , and back out to the back.. pull until the lips indent..Nearly finished.. backstitch so it stays tight, to form a chin .. go through to the front, coming out at the centre where you think the chin will start,go up to the outside lip, pull tight and go back to the centre chin, do a little back stitch to hold tight and do the same on the other side and its finished..  With practise this gets easier and easier, never are two dolls alike and the noses always make the dolls..cheers. Elaine and good luck , I never thought I would be able to do it either... but once the principle is explained.. it was easy,.,.

Thanks but I think I'll stick to simpler things!  I don't have your patience.

Elaine, so sorry to hear of your health issues. What a time of it you have had.  ;((

These BEAUTIFUL dolls look like they have been great therapy for you.....I love them, too. They are amazing!!!! Their faces, their hair, their outfits, are fabulous.....they will be much loved in South Africa. Thank you.  :))

Elaine, your dolls are, in a word, FABULOUS!  Yes, yes, yes - please post your pattern on the Forum.  Probably the best place to do that is Members Patterns - Toys.

I am in awe of your faces and hair.  A few years ago I made a similar doll from one of the Uthando doll patterns.  It pales in comparison to yours.  I had a dreadful time with the hair and the faces. Please share your secrets...and DO keep making dolls!

Hope you recover soon.

Dear Ann,The hair was easy, I just cut the wool into roughly ,24inches long, a quick way to do a lot, is to wind the wool over and over a book that is about 12 inches long.. then cut the bottom edge.. Take a long darning needle , and starting at the hair line on the dolls head , at the side below ear level, fold a piece of the wool in half , lay it on the dolls head and stitch across and come back where you started on the other side, only a very small backstitch really, take another piece and go about quarter to half inch up from the first stitch, and repeat, do this all across the top and down to the other side to match,  then. take the needle across the back of the doll, half an inch and repeat the process, going over the head to the other side.. do this until all the head is covered.. some of the wool I use need to have both the ends knotted as its loose woven and comes apart so as I go I knot both ends.. I learned not to use that sort of wool in a hurry.Look for thick wool , woven with cotton to make it crinkly,.. Now the sculpturing... you do that before you put on the hair, don't worry about the flat look of the head when finished, once the dolls hair is on it looks fine.. I put this on another ladys comment so am just pasting... if you want to put it onto other friends, feel free to do so.. and happy sculpturing.. its easy once you know how, but be careful to get the eyes the same line across , otherwise it will be a lopsided dolls face.. Its quite easy once you  realise how to do it.. Using wool double , and long in a long sharp needle. before putting on the hair, go into the back and come out roughy where the inside eye will be. Go across to where the outside eye will be and come out centre back , pull the wool tight, you will see it makes the eye sockets.. making sure not to let go the tension, make a little back stitch so the tension stays tight.. now do the same on the other side..to make the bridge of the nose, come from the back again to the inside eye,, now go under with the needle to the other inner eye and pull up tight  till you have a bridge , and make a little back stitch again to seal..To form the nostril, go from the inner eye again , down to where you think the nostril would be.. then back to the inner eye and pull up , if you keep the tension on , you need not do a backstitch, instead, go back to the other inner eye and repeat the same , going down to the nostril , pull up so it matches the other side, and then do a little back stitch.Then go back to the back of the dolls head.. go from there to the front to where you think her outside lip ends, go across to the other outer lip , and back out to the back.. pull until the lips indent..Nearly finished.. backstitch so it stays tight, to form a chin .. go through to the front, coming out at the centre where you think the chin will start,go up to the outside lip, pull tight and go back to the centre chin, do a little back stitch to hold tight and do the same on the other side and its finished..  With practise this gets easier and easier, never are two dolls alike and the noses always make the dolls..cheers. Elaine and good luck , I never thought I would be able to do it either... but once the principle is explained.. it was easy,.,.Its quite easy once you  realise how to do it.. Using wool double , and long in a long sharp needle. before putting on the hair, go into the back and come out roughy where the inside eye will be. Go across to where the outside eye will be and come out centre back , pull the wool tight, you will see it makes the eye sockets.. making sure not to let go the tension, make a little back stitch so the tension stays tight.. now do the same on the other side..to make the bridge of the nose, come from the back again to the inside eye,, now go under with the needle to the other inner eye and pull up tight  till you have a bridge , and make a little back stitch again to seal..To form the nostril, go from the inner eye again , down to where you think the nostril would be.. then back to the inner eye and pull up , if you keep the tension on , you need not do a backstitch, instead, go back to the other inner eye and repeat the same , going down to the nostril , pull up so it matches the other side, and then do a little back stitch.Then go back to the back of the dolls head.. go from there to the front to where you think her outside lip ends, go across to the other outer lip , and back out to the back.. pull until the lips indent..Nearly finished.. backstitch so it stays tight, to form a chin .. go through to the front, coming out at the centre where you think the chin will start,go up to the outside lip, pull tight and go back to the centre chin, do a little back stitch to hold tight and do the same on the other side and its finished..  With practise this gets easier and easier, never are two dolls alike and the noses always make the dolls..cheers. Elaine and good luck 

Elaine, your dolls are absolutely beautiful!  I love their outfits, their faces, their hair ... I love everything about them. Each one is a work of art!

When you finally say goodbye to them, just remember how some little girls in S.A. are going to feel when they are handed one of these.  They will surely feel the love you have stitched into each one of them, and they will be treasured.

I hope you feel better soon ... xo

Thank you Gloria, thats why I took the time to learn how to make the faces, and this particular book had this little girls as sort of ballerina, I saw that the dress and hat looked like some of the clothes that the ladies in Africa wore, so adapted the pattern a bit.. my sister makes the little jewellery necklaces most have. When I was a child we were dirt poor, but still immensely richer than the little children in S.A . I loved my doll and loved changing its clothes etc.  I believe little children are the same everywhere, so I really wanted to create dolls they could love.. since the diabetes has been diagnosed and treated I am about 40 percent better.. on medication now and the past 6 weeks has seen me improve daily... still have other issues not fixable but now have my energy and mind working , now its getting fed, so am back creating and loving it.

Elaine, I have a similar pattern, and have a couple I have knitted... however not the gorgeous sculpted faces that you have done. Yours are stunning!  I think teenage girls would adore them!  

Thank you Susanne,

Check out the reply to Anne Powell about face sculpturing, and putting on hair.. once you have done it a few times it becomes second nature , its a challenge to make them symettrical, that is the eyes are at the same level, the nostrils, same and the lips level, after that its amazing that each doll looks unique yet the principle of making is the same... I have only mad about a dozen but love it.. I can make one from start to finish in a week just sitting mostly of a night.. the thing that takes the longest is puttin on the hair, about three hours..

Oh my life - these are just lovely!  What an amazingly talented lady you are!

I do hope you are feeling better soon - and that you are healing well.

Thanks Rebecca,  My knitting is average at best, but one learns by mistakes.. one I make very early in the making was to use too big a needle for the body , it needs to be tighter that average knitting so that when you put in the filling it doesn't show through the brown skin, I made a lot of Aussie dolls and that never was a problem so much as the pink was closer to the filling colour.. I will be putting the pattern for these on once I can sit long enough to type out the whole doll from body to clothes to hair . I had been telling my doctor for 12 mths prior to being diagnosed as a diabetic, that my levels according to my sister monoter( I have two living a one deceased sisters,all diabetics) that they were really high.. but because the blood tests came back negative , she never said I had it.. it takes a glucose tolerance test for it to be found in my family and that never happened until about 6weeks ago.. yes its postive she said, now I am on medication and improving daily.. so thanks for you kind wishes , better late than never...

RSS

DONATE: KNIT-A-SQUARE

Monthly donation:

Click on box to change options

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One time donation:

FINANCIAL REPORT

Postal costs for incoming parcels has risen alarmingly since mid-April
because of a new rule that ALL overseas parcels attract the customary
handling fee and that has been increased to R51.50 PER PARCEL[$3.74USD].
for July figures click :

See how you may help!

SQUARES LIST

The AUGUST  2018 Squares List is available.

Please click HERE

2018 THEMES OF THE MONTH

Planning ahead??

See the 2018

LIST OF THEMES

AND

WHAT OUR CHILDREN NEED.

Notes

KAS PATTERN BOOK

Visit the KAS Pattern Book for free patterns in knit, crochet, loom and sewing. …

Continue

Created by Linda Maltby May 2, 2018 at 8:26am. Last updated by Linda Maltby Aug 1.

© 2018   Created by Sandy McDonald.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service