Square Circle Forum

With many thanks to Debbie Posmontier,

who launched the idea of temperature squares as a monthly theme.

I am pleased to host:

TEMPERATURES AROUND THE GLOBE IN 30 DAYS 

Have you heard of temperature squares?

They are a wonderful theme idea, and it's easy to see why -- they're fun to make, a 30 day project and have the potential to turn into cheerful blankets for boys and girls.

What are temparature squares? 

The basic idea is that you knit or crochet a square for a blanket in a color that coordinates with the temperature. If you use different  colors, you'll get a beautiful variation throughout the day, week or even month . Depending on the climate where you live, each color will correspond to the degrees.

Below  is a sample color chart. I have chosen this one for the children because of its bold colors. Please feel free to use pastels, shades, tones.

Don’t think if it snows and it is far below zero (-18C), your square should consist of one color only (following the chart it should be Pinky Purple)..the day has more temperatures than one, maybe the same day it rises up to -7C (Blue).. and imagine sitting in the sun…..the real feel could be +10C (Green) and the colors of your square will change….and maybe even your mood?

There are so many variations you could do for squares , or maybe you are in the mood to make a blanket….

- You don't necessarily have to make striped squares…..use any pattern you like, e.g. circle in a square, CtC diagonal stripes, diagonal knit squares, granny squares, and so on. The stripes or other patterns and plain janes will represent our global community temperature squares.

- Think of the high and low temp of each day – and also at night - for a single location, or,

- The high and low temperatures of a location combined in the northern and southern hemisphere, e.g. Toronto combined with Bryanston.....

Since we live all over the world, the possibilities are endless and I am curious to see what the temperatures will bring!

Talking about temperatures: Handwarmers are more than welcome!

Have fun Everyone!

~~~~~~~~~~

Photo album: http://forum.knit-a-square.com/photo/albums/november-2017-theme-tem...

Views: 2281

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oh dear that's a pretty big altitude. When I take a look at the map I see that Montana is far more north than NM, indeed it will be very cold there during the winter! Good to live in NM now. Much warmer!

Where I live it is 100 feet, and for Dutch understandings that's high, because a big part of our country is below sea-level! We have lots of dikes to protect us against the sea! But when the water comes, in our village our feet will stay dry :)))

Sharon, as always, your squares are divine!  May I ask, have you done these in two pieces and then stitched them together?  They are both so beautiful and I love the temps the one on the left depict, but the colors in the one on the right are (surprise! surprise!) ... my fav :)  

We're still hovering in the rich green/green but our evenings and nights are touching on sky blue ... xo

Hi, Gloria.   Thank You for your kind words on the half-and-half diagonal squares.   Like you, I prefer the warmer temps, but really like the blues and greens of the other square. 

These are made all in one piece, and you turn the work over (in my experience, that is unusual for a granny square) to work one color, then back to work the other. 

I used the directions from this pattern:  https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/country-hearts-quilt

Look for the section called Bi-Color Granny.  The squares made with the technique are only 2 rounds in that blanket, but once the 2 rounds are done, just keep repeating Round 2 until you get up to the size you want.

There may be other patterns available.  I have seen some that cut the yarn each round.   I rejected that idea because I didn't want all those ends to weave in.

Thanks Sharon.  I'll have to try this pattern.  These are  gorgeous squares

As Christine has said, it's a very green month here in England. The second photo shows the reverse side of the same two squares which comes out in a quite different pattern.

SAM_0669

SAM_0670

Patricia, these are gorgeous!  How interesting that you get two distinctly different looks in one square.  Hard to choose which side you would like for the front.  They are both so beautiful ...  xo

Gorgeous!   These are beautiful squares in any blanket, at any time or temperature.   I'm trying to figure out how you made them to get the negative image on the back side.   Is there a pattern that you can share?

As Gloria said, it would be hard to choose which is the front.

Thank you Sharon. I can't remember where I found the pattern originally but it's called a Wild Granny Square so you should be able to track one down. The pattern I have is for a 6" square so I've had to add my own border to make it up to 8".

Thanks so much Patricia.   I found this pattern, which I think is the same:

http://www.jpfun.com/patterns/granny_squares/f101004_wildgrannysqua...

I have to say that I like your square MUCH better than the ones pictured.   Kudos to you for recognizing that it would work in slightly less crazy color combinations.   Of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so this is just my boring opinion.

Yes, that's the one - I remember the purple and yellow. I've checked it again with my pattern because I found there was an error in Round 4. At the end of the first line where it says skip 2 stitches, *  tr in sk st of previous round, you need to insert a "dc in next dc" where I've put the asterisk. (Also I had to convert the whole thing into English terminology but I assume you're OK with the original American). One last point - I've just realised that if you're reading it on something smaller than a PC screen it probably won't be at the end of the first line but I'm sure you'll be able to work out what I mean. Good luck!

Last word on the subject, but I thought these worked well last Christmas:

SAM_0554

(Sorry Anneke - nothing to do with temperature!)

Not at all Patricia, this is really a stunning pattern, worth showing everywhere!

RSS

DONATE: KNIT-A-SQUARE

Monthly donation:

Payment Options

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One time donation:

FINANCIAL REPORT

Since the start of our appeal in March 2017 we have raised $29744.

This is really helping to give KAS financial stability

Thank you all !!!

Link : LATEST KAS FINANCIAL UPDATE 

SHOP

VISIT THE KAS SHOP

HERE

BUY THE KAS 2018 CALENDAR HERE

SQUARES LIST

The October 2017 Squares List is available. Please visit the website http://www.knit-a-square.com and click on "Received Squares"

HELPFUL HINTS

New to the forum?

Please click on

HELPFUL HINTS tab

at the top of this  

page

HAVE A QUESTION?             

Please click here

© 2017   Created by Sandy McDonald.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service