Square Circle Forum

With many thanks to Debbie Posmontier,

who launched the idea of temperature squares as a monthly theme.

I am pleased to host:

TEMPERATURES AROUND THE GLOBE IN 30 DAYS 

Have you heard of temperature squares?

They are a wonderful theme idea, and it's easy to see why -- they're fun to make, a 30 day project and have the potential to turn into cheerful blankets for boys and girls.

What are temparature squares? 

The basic idea is that you knit or crochet a square for a blanket in a color that coordinates with the temperature. If you use different  colors, you'll get a beautiful variation throughout the day, week or even month . Depending on the climate where you live, each color will correspond to the degrees.

Below  is a sample color chart. I have chosen this one for the children because of its bold colors. Please feel free to use pastels, shades, tones.

Don’t think if it snows and it is far below zero (-18C), your square should consist of one color only (following the chart it should be Pinky Purple)..the day has more temperatures than one, maybe the same day it rises up to -7C (Blue).. and imagine sitting in the sun…..the real feel could be +10C (Green) and the colors of your square will change….and maybe even your mood?

There are so many variations you could do for squares , or maybe you are in the mood to make a blanket….

- You don't necessarily have to make striped squares…..use any pattern you like, e.g. circle in a square, CtC diagonal stripes, diagonal knit squares, granny squares, and so on. The stripes or other patterns and plain janes will represent our global community temperature squares.

- Think of the high and low temp of each day – and also at night - for a single location, or,

- The high and low temperatures of a location combined in the northern and southern hemisphere, e.g. Toronto combined with Bryanston.....

Since we live all over the world, the possibilities are endless and I am curious to see what the temperatures will bring!

Talking about temperatures: Handwarmers are more than welcome!

Have fun Everyone!

~~~~~~~~~~

Photo album: http://forum.knit-a-square.com/photo/albums/november-2017-theme-tem...

Views: 2668

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oh my goodness, Patricia, you are right!  Like a beautiful rainbow.  Well done ... xo

A beauty. Thanks Patricia. 

Splendid idea Patricia, a "Global temperature square". It looks as if it is made in the "griddle stitch"? Valerie Zalewski's pattern.

I don't know what it's called but it's the stitch I use more than any other - tr 1, dc 1. The rhythm of it just seems to suit me!

Hi Patricia, in fact it doesn't matter, it is a gorgeous stitch to do, here I found the griddle stitch by Valerie Zalewski, added to the "members patterns book" on page 4. I made many of these, the rhythm of it suits me too :)

Here is the link, she has uploaded 2 options:   

http://forum.knit-a-square.com/forum/topics/member-s-patterns-squares?id=3276523%3ATopic%3A287956&page=4#comments

Anneke, ever since your theme started, I've had bits and pieces of a poem floating around in my head.  I couldn't remember it all ... from my childhood, I think (which was a l-o-n-g time ago ... hahaha  Anyway, I decided to google it (duh!) and I found it.  Here it is ...

Whether the weather be fine

Or whether the weather be not,

Whether the weather be cold

Or whether the weather be hot,

We'll weather the weather

Whatever the weather,

Whether we like it or not.

Beautiful song Glo, very applicable to this month's theme. it is very cold here, windy, no Sunshine, a bit of rain....brrrrrr.....whether we like it not :) xoxo

Gloria, I had to laugh when I saw this - I annoy my husband by quoting it whenever he complains about the weather! (At the moment our complaint is that it's hot and dry - this may sound like a strange 'complaint' to those of you in colder climates, but we are desperate for rain!)

Hi Lesley can imagine that you complain about the hot weather, I am from a mild climat, sometimes in Summer it can be very hot for a couple days here...which look to last for weeks! After 3 days we have had it with the heatwaves!  We are not used to it, besides that it makes it difficult to do things like knit and crochet :)) xo....I hope for you that the rain will come soon!

Handwarmers in stunning colors made by Rebecca price: In my opinion the bold pink represents  at least -20 C and the shade of green at about 4C, so they fit perfectly well in the November Theme :)  

A pair of the classic style knitted hand warmers and a pair of the new style - I enjoyed knitting both!

Thank you Rebecca :)

Absolutely beautiful, Rebecca!  Two little girls are going to feel like princesses when they put these on :) xo

RSS

DONATE: KNIT-A-SQUARE

Monthly donation:

Payment Options

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One time donation:

FINANCIAL REPORT

Since the start of our appeal in March 2017 we have raised $29744.

This is really helping to give KAS financial stability

Thank you all !!!

Link : LATEST KAS FINANCIAL UPDATE 

SHOP

VISIT THE KAS SHOP

HERE

BUY THE KAS 2018 CALENDAR HERE

SQUARES LIST

The October 2017 Squares List is available. Please visit the website http://www.knit-a-square.com and click on "Received Squares"

HELPFUL HINTS

New to the forum?

Please click on

HELPFUL HINTS tab

at the top of this  

page

HAVE A QUESTION?             

Please click here

© 2017   Created by Sandy McDonald.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service