Square Circle Forum

With many thanks to Debbie Posmontier,

who launched the idea of temperature squares as a monthly theme.

I am pleased to host:

TEMPERATURES AROUND THE GLOBE IN 30 DAYS 

Have you heard of temperature squares?

They are a wonderful theme idea, and it's easy to see why -- they're fun to make, a 30 day project and have the potential to turn into cheerful blankets for boys and girls.

What are temparature squares? 

The basic idea is that you knit or crochet a square for a blanket in a color that coordinates with the temperature. If you use different  colors, you'll get a beautiful variation throughout the day, week or even month . Depending on the climate where you live, each color will correspond to the degrees.

Below  is a sample color chart. I have chosen this one for the children because of its bold colors. Please feel free to use pastels, shades, tones.

Don’t think if it snows and it is far below zero (-18C), your square should consist of one color only (following the chart it should be Pinky Purple)..the day has more temperatures than one, maybe the same day it rises up to -7C (Blue).. and imagine sitting in the sun…..the real feel could be +10C (Green) and the colors of your square will change….and maybe even your mood?

There are so many variations you could do for squares , or maybe you are in the mood to make a blanket….

- You don't necessarily have to make striped squares…..use any pattern you like, e.g. circle in a square, CtC diagonal stripes, diagonal knit squares, granny squares, and so on. The stripes or other patterns and plain janes will represent our global community temperature squares.

- Think of the high and low temp of each day – and also at night - for a single location, or,

- The high and low temperatures of a location combined in the northern and southern hemisphere, e.g. Toronto combined with Bryanston.....

Since we live all over the world, the possibilities are endless and I am curious to see what the temperatures will bring!

Talking about temperatures: Handwarmers are more than welcome!

Have fun Everyone!

~~~~~~~~~~

Photo album: http://forum.knit-a-square.com/photo/albums/november-2017-theme-tem...

Views: 2503

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Christine, this is beautiful!  Those one-row color stripes look a lot like the swing knit technique :) xo

I thought that Gloria but I looked at your pattern and it was a four row one and this is two. The knit rib on this changes colour but otherwise they are very similar. I just love slip stitch patterns.

These two colours look great together...wonderful square Christine  :))

Christine, Thank you so much for taking part! The blanket room photos is a lot of work, much appreciated that you contribute to the November theme! Beautiful square, a lovely pattern and a green month is great, through the years I haven't seen many green in the blankets.

Loved the combination of colours which make me think of Spring.

Chris, this is a gorgeous Antarctica blanket :)  I have a sneaking suspicion that there are a couple of ladies who will swoon when they see the colors in this ... haha ... xo

what wonderful contributions already!  Eventhough places around the globe are cool, the squares and blankets are in beautiful warm colours (and will bring warmth to the children.)

My first contribution:  Just a few months ago, our temps were orange.  As winter approaches in Canada the temps are starting to dip...the far north is already pinky purple, while B.C is purple.  

Sunshine surrounded by the most gorgeous pinky purple/purple...great square Linda    :))

Linda, I love this square, not only the combination of colours, the variety in stitches makes it a stunner. I hope that despite it is Autumn, there will be a couple of hours of orange during this month? xo

Gorgeous square, Linda.  We're hovering around the rich green/green area just now, but I just had an email from my son in northern AB ... just a photo of his truck thermometer.  He's definitely in the pinky purple zone!  xo

Warming up here in Cape Town.  The weather colours are likely to become repetitive over the next few weeks - I might have to take a virtual trip to Moscow or Helsinki (Weather Around the World is interesting!), or 'visit' some KASfriends in Canada :))

Very pretty square, Lesley, and an intresting design!  Feel free to visit Canada any time.  The weather may not be warm, but your welcome surely will be!  Let me know when you'll be in Nova Scotia and I'll put the coffee on :))) xo

RSS

DONATE: KNIT-A-SQUARE

Monthly donation:

Payment Options

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One time donation:

FINANCIAL REPORT

Since the start of our appeal in March 2017 we have raised $29744.

This is really helping to give KAS financial stability

Thank you all !!!

Link : LATEST KAS FINANCIAL UPDATE 

SHOP

VISIT THE KAS SHOP

HERE

BUY THE KAS 2018 CALENDAR HERE

SQUARES LIST

The October 2017 Squares List is available. Please visit the website http://www.knit-a-square.com and click on "Received Squares"

HELPFUL HINTS

New to the forum?

Please click on

HELPFUL HINTS tab

at the top of this  

page

HAVE A QUESTION?             

Please click here

© 2017   Created by Sandy McDonald.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service