Square Circle Forum

With many thanks to Debbie Posmontier,

who launched the idea of temperature squares as a monthly theme.

I am pleased to host:

Have you heard of temperature squares?

They are a wonderful theme idea, and it's easy to see why -- they're fun to make, a 30 day project and have the potential to turn into cheerful blankets for boys and girls.

What are temparature squares? 

The basic idea is that you knit or crochet a square for a blanket in a color that coordinates with the temperature. If you use different  colors, you'll get a beautiful variation throughout the day, week or even month . Depending on the climate where you live, each color will correspond to the degrees.

Below  is a sample color chart. I have chosen this one for the children because of its bold colors. Please feel free to use pastels, shades, tones.

Don’t think if it snows and it is far below zero (-18C), your square should consist of one color only (following the chart it should be Pinky Purple)..the day has more temperatures than one, maybe the same day it rises up to -7C (Blue).. and imagine sitting in the sun…..the real feel could be +10C (Green) and the colors of your square will change….and maybe even your mood?

There are so many variations you could do for squares , or maybe you are in the mood to make a blanket….

- You don't necessarily have to make striped squares…..use any pattern you like, e.g. circle in a square, CtC diagonal stripes, diagonal knit squares, granny squares, and so on. The stripes or other patterns and plain janes will represent our global community temperature squares.

- Think of the high and low temp of each day – and also at night - for a single location, or,

- The high and low temperatures of a location combined in the northern and southern hemisphere, e.g. Toronto combined with Bryanston.....

Since we live all over the world, the possibilities are endless and I am curious to see what the temperatures will bring!

Talking about temperatures: Handwarmers are more than welcome!

Have fun Everyone!

Photo album: http://forum.knit-a-square.com/photo/albums/november-2017-theme-tem...

Views: 4290

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you, Anneke, for an interesting and original theme.  I've really enjoyed seeing how everyone has interpreted their temperatures, and now I watch the weather forecast - for South Africa and the UK - and see the projected temperatures as colours - so much more fun!

Oh Lesley, that is lovely to hear, for the next couple of months I will see the temperatures as colours too. It will become much colder here soon - Whatever the weather, Whether we like it or not, part of a poem posted by Gloria - from green to purple, but when I think of it in colors for squares it will make me feel warm inside. Hugs xo

Sixty-six pairs of handwarmers made by Cath Riley's friend Margaret:

Wow! What a lot of effort and love! At the moment I am thinking in temperatures transformed to colors.  When I see these, most of these are Nordic Hemisphere temps in November which means cold!  (except for the yellow) - but soooo warm for the children! Hugs to you and  Margaret. xo

What can I saw but Wow !  Thanks so much Margaret.  Lots of warm hands this winter.

An exceptional collection, Margaret!  Beautiful colors for both boys and girls.  Well done!  xo

A 16" Temperature Square.

It's getting colder here on the North Wales Coast. A warm start to the month with yellow, changing into greens and finally into blue. I know I have interpreted the theme differently from a usual temperature square but I saw the sheep on Pinterest and couldn't resist using them.

Awww Marion, this is so adorable!  Glad you couldn't resist putting the sheep in ... xo

Oooh Marion, this is sooo sweet! And what a stunning piece of art, love everything about it. I feel honored that you made such a lovely square for the November Theme. So nicely transformd temperatures into colors. It must be very cold out there because even the sheep wear scarves! This square expresses a lot of humor! xoxo

November Theme 2017 - Temperature

Pink and orange looking a little pale and washed out.....oops, didn't realize there was quite so much grey/bronze in the ball of variegated. :((

Thank you so very much for hosting this new and interesting idea/theme, Anneke.  xo

Thanks also, to Debbie.  :))

Thank you so much Bev. I hope that Debbie  will have time shortly to see what has become of her splendid idea to do this Theme. Your handwarmers are a lovely surprise and any girl will cherish these beautifully knitted, colourful handwarmers to the moon and back. xoxo

Monthly donation:

Click on box to change options

One time donation:

KAS supplied blankets, hats, handwarmers and toys to over 5,500 children in 2017.  If Ronda’s wishes come true, in 2018 even more children will receive the gift of warmth and love from around the world.

The FEBRUARY 2018 Squares List is available. Please visit the website http://www.knit-a-square.com and click on "Received Squares"

New to the forum?

Please click on

at the top of this  

HAVE A QUESTION?             

Please click here

© 2018   Created by Sandy McDonald.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service