Square Circle Forum

With many thanks to Debbie Posmontier,

who launched the idea of temperature squares as a monthly theme.

I am pleased to host:

TEMPERATURES AROUND THE GLOBE IN 30 DAYS 

Have you heard of temperature squares?

They are a wonderful theme idea, and it's easy to see why -- they're fun to make, a 30 day project and have the potential to turn into cheerful blankets for boys and girls.

What are temparature squares? 

The basic idea is that you knit or crochet a square for a blanket in a color that coordinates with the temperature. If you use different  colors, you'll get a beautiful variation throughout the day, week or even month . Depending on the climate where you live, each color will correspond to the degrees.

Below  is a sample color chart. I have chosen this one for the children because of its bold colors. Please feel free to use pastels, shades, tones.

Don’t think if it snows and it is far below zero (-18C), your square should consist of one color only (following the chart it should be Pinky Purple)..the day has more temperatures than one, maybe the same day it rises up to -7C (Blue).. and imagine sitting in the sun…..the real feel could be +10C (Green) and the colors of your square will change….and maybe even your mood?

There are so many variations you could do for squares , or maybe you are in the mood to make a blanket….

- You don't necessarily have to make striped squares…..use any pattern you like, e.g. circle in a square, CtC diagonal stripes, diagonal knit squares, granny squares, and so on. The stripes or other patterns and plain janes will represent our global community temperature squares.

- Think of the high and low temp of each day – and also at night - for a single location, or,

- The high and low temperatures of a location combined in the northern and southern hemisphere, e.g. Toronto combined with Bryanston.....

Since we live all over the world, the possibilities are endless and I am curious to see what the temperatures will bring!

Talking about temperatures: Handwarmers are more than welcome!

Have fun Everyone!

~~~~~~~~~~

Photo album: http://forum.knit-a-square.com/photo/albums/november-2017-theme-tem...

Views: 4251

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

November Theme 2017 - Temperature

Representing the different min and max temps I have been experiencing......pale green, mid and deeper green, lemon and yellow, scarlet and red. The top left is straight-sided, it's just sitting on a bumpy doona. :))

I used some deeper green because I thought our min temps had dropped to 4C at the start of the month...oops, it seems our lowest min this month has been 10C....must have been thinking of the end of October!

Bev, whatever the temps, these are gorgeous squares!  I love the framed striped one, and the textures in the other three are just perfect for little fingers to trace :) xo

Quite the temperature range which makes for great squares.  The bottom right seems about the 'right' temperature for me :-)

Bev, what a lovely surprise! You were extremely busy with the 2018 themes so I hadn't expect you should have time to join!

Stunning squares Bev, soooo neat and beautiful color combinations. Can't make a choice.

I think it should take me ages to knit these, especially when it is so warm! xo

These would be my temperatures of choice - together with a blue sky and a soft breeze.

SAM_0672

Oh Patricia, you're a gal after my own heart!  These are the temperatures I like, as well.  The only thing I would add to your blue sky and soft breeze would be the sound of gentle waves meeting the shore :)   Beautiful square ... xo

This pretty square brings to mind those summer temperatures...especially with blue sky, a soft breeze and gentle waves.

Ah yes, the perfect temps here....and such a pretty square they (and you, lol) have made.  :))

Shall we all grab our knitting bags and a deck chair and head on out there? :)

Oh yes, let's do that! ......When I look outside it is damp, cold and almost dark.....there is one thing I can do: pretend as if I am not here....close my eyes and dream of being on a  Sunny Island....or we, the KAS friends, on a Cruise ship with deck chairs, blue sky, sun.....chit chat and knitting along?? Ooops, forgot my crochet hook! xoxo

Ooh Patricia, exactly what the children need! Bright and sunny colored squares in a blanket. This is a beauty! Today there is damp and cold here, so you cheered me up too :)

Square made by Linda R. :

I know it's not exactly a houndstooth pattern, but I am stuck for another descriptive name...any ideas?
I think this would fit into the current Temperature theme - yellow for Hong Kong (my previous country of residence), and blue with a greenish tinge for Scotland.

RSS

DONATE: KNIT-A-SQUARE

Monthly donation:

Payment Options

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One time donation:

FINANCIAL REPORT

Since the start of our appeal in March 2017 we have raised $29744.

This is really helping to give KAS financial stability

Thank you all !!!

Link : LATEST KAS FINANCIAL UPDATE 

SHOP

VISIT THE KAS SHOP

HERE

BUY THE KAS 2018 CALENDAR HERE

SQUARES LIST

The NOVEMBER 2017 Squares List is available. Please visit the website http://www.knit-a-square.com and click on "Received Squares"

HELPFUL HINTS

New to the forum?

Please click on

HELPFUL HINTS tab

at the top of this  

page

HAVE A QUESTION?             

Please click here

© 2017   Created by Sandy McDonald.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service