Square Circle Forum

New to Knit-a-Square?  Have a question about making squares, navigating the Forum,  iPad or phone access to the forum, using Paypal fo donations, or a question about mailing your squares?

Please read the discussions in the Helpful Hints Category, and if you don't find your answer there, post it below and someone will answer ASAP.  No need to start a new discussion

Just type your question in the Reply to This square right under this intro, click on add reply and presto...your question is now in the list!

Views: 3531

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Maggie.

If you were able to securely attach a tail to a corner of each square, it would be much appreciated by the team in SA, as it keeps the sorting process moving quickly. However, if you are unable to, the squares will be most welcome, as is.  Thank you so much for your contribution.  :))

Squares can be bundled into lots of 5 or 10 squares. I am not the best at describing things, so have posted a pic...hope it helps.  :))

Thank you, Maggie.  xo

I already have plenty of squares knitted and live in Olivedale, South Africa, I see the squares get posted to Bryanston. Is there somewhere I can drop them off without posting?

Hi Fiona,

That's great that you have squares ready.

Since you are close to the Randburg office you will be able to drop off your squares rather than mailing them. You might also like to stay and open parcels, sort squares or even help with paperwork !   The volunteers would appreciate your help. The office is only open on Tuesdays so please call ahead. [If there is a problem with dropping the squares on Tuesday let me know and we'll arrange something else] 

Address: Surrey Bizhub, Office 1G, 330 Surrey Avenue (between Dover Road and Hill Street), Randburg

Contact telephone:  082 655 5150

I mailed squares and hats in mid June (first time contributor) and expected to see items were received on July list.  However, no mention - were items destroyed in floods?  I am hesitant to send more until I can find out what happened to first shipment - did sent from US using form provided on website.  Thanks.

Hi Chris, thanks for using the packing form, it makes it easier for the volunteers. 

It is worrisome when one thinks a parcel hasn't arrived. It will probably be received this month. Very few parcels have gone astray in all the years Knit-a-Square has been receiving squares. I send 2 or 3 at a time and it is always a surprise when they arrive...never at the same time! In fact, one of the parcels I sent in March still haven't shown up on the list. The parcels may arrive quickly in South Africa but the SA postal system isn't the most efficient.  The US listing for July is quite short which means a lot of parcels from the States haven't arrived.
Hope this helps

Thank you for this reassurance once more, Linda. One of my parcels from March this year hasn't turned up yet either although all the others that I sent have arrived safely, and I have never had any problem in the 5 years of sending parcels.

Linda,  thank you so much for your kind and patient reply.  I feel much more confident in sending a second batch without waiting for notice of first package.  Wishing you an amazing day!

Knowing that I knit squares for blankets, an elderly  friend gave me a bag of 'squares' to send.

Unfortunately they are all different sizes ranging from about 3" to 7" and most of them are wonky, ie not very square.

Is it possible that KAS can make use of them?

Hi Kathleen. It is easier for KAS to receive 8 inch squares.i will email you privately as they can be used.

Kathleen, I have the same problem with squares that I receive each year from various retirement homes in my area. Many of them are made by Alzheimer patients or ladies with dementia. The squares that are perfect nearly always have to be tailed and/or butterflied. This I do first and send off to get them out of the way. The others are then sorted into different categories. If you can crochet then you can bring small squares up to size by adding a crochet border. If some are too large, i try to combine them with smaller squares to give a multiple of 8 ins. There are, unfortunately some that cannot be rescued. Some ladies use yarn that is so thick that 35 of these squares would result in a very,very heavy blanket. I unpick these and either separate the yarn into individual balls where several different yarns have been use. Otherwise I give the really thick yarn to a friend who loves making KAS cuddles.

In 2 weeks, I will receive my annual presentation of squares from these homes. I know that I will be given up to 2000 squares in all shapes and sizes. I just take all the time t needs to get a maximum of these squares into reasonable shape for KAS.

Good luck.

Thank you Valerie for your suggestions.   In the past I have made use of some of your suggestions on donations received.   This time, the variation in size and shape really stumped me.   However, another Kas member, Sharon Fennell, volunteered to take them off me to add to her collection of mis-shaped 'squares' which she will make into blankets to send to KAS, something which she has done before.  

I have to say that I admire your patience and tenacity.   The very thought of having to sort out and deal with 2000 squares amazes me, when I cringed at about 100 mis-shapes.

RSS

DONATE: KNIT-A-SQUARE

Monthly donation:

Payment Options

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One time donation:

FINANCIAL REPORT

Since the start of our appeal in March 2017 we have raised $29744.

This is really helping to give KAS financial stability

Thank you all !!!

Link : LATEST KAS FINANCIAL UPDATE 

SHOP

VISIT THE KAS SHOP

HERE

BUY THE KAS 2018 CALENDAR HERE

SQUARES LIST

The NOVEMBER 2017 Squares List is available. Please visit the website http://www.knit-a-square.com and click on "Received Squares"

HELPFUL HINTS

New to the forum?

Please click on

HELPFUL HINTS tab

at the top of this  

page

HAVE A QUESTION?             

Please click here

© 2017   Created by Sandy McDonald.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service