Square Circle Forum

I would like to spend this summer making QUILTED 8" squares.  They would be colorful and appropriately designed using calicos, quilted firmly, and after completion, they would be approx. 3/16" thick.   I would attach a strong 20" thread to one corner as per the knitted squares.

Do you think these squares could be hand sewn together with ease?    Or would it be better for me make the complete blanket?   

Views: 151

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Phillippa.

In my opinion, it would probably be best if the quilt were complete. I say this with thoughts of longevity of the quilt. I also say it as a person who has never quilted.  :)) When knitted/crocheted squares are sewn together they have a bit of 'give' in them, due to their stretchy nature, I'm just not sure if hand sewing, with sewing thread, if pulled and stretched (as children are apt to do) would survive as well.  :))

Perhaps someone else on the forum who is more skilled in sewing, will offer a more knowledgeable response.  :))

Phillippa it is a beautiful idea. I think it would be best to be sewn up before sent.  Most of the sewing ladies had lessons  on how to stitch together the knitted squares and I am not sure that the firm close stitching needed for the quilt would be part of the skill set of these local ladies.

I am in the process of sewing a prototype.  My latest idea is to add a crocheted edge to the quilted square.  The tricky part is making tiny holes for the hook to go through.  I love a challenge!   More later.  Thanks for answering Sue.    

You're a tiger for punishment Phillippa ! That sounds really tricky !

Would like to see one when its done, I have a lot of quilty friend always having spare material. They to are always up for a challenge

Sent a picture of the 3 quilted squares to Bev Jeffery.   Not sure if I am using regular email or the forum address.  Anyhow, I'll catch on eventually.   Thanks for your interest.   I had a lot of fun experimenting.   Phillippa

Thank you Phillippa. Here are your three lovely squares.  You have done a great job of crocheting around them.  :))

I will email Ronda your photo (as she is not regularly on the forum) and hopefully we will have a reply in the next few days.

Wow, Phillippa, your squares are fantastic.  Your idea of crocheting around the edge means that it will be easy for the Gogos to intermingle them with other knitted/crocheted squares...really no need to assemble them into a blanket yourself, unless of course you want to.

I admire your patience in making all the tiny holes for your crochet hook.  The end result is certainly worth whatever time it takes.

Hi All.

Have sent you an email Phillippa......and for anyone else who would like to know, here is a little bit from an email that Ronda sent to me......

'We do occasionally received quilted squares/blankets and they are beautiful.  We would normally send them to a place like Hotel Hope rather than distribute them alongside our normal blankets'.

For those of you who have not come across this info on our site as yet, and are wondering what Hotel Hope is......

http://www.knit-a-square.com/childrens-charity.html

RSS

KNIT-A-SQUARE SOUTH AFRICA

DONATE DIRECTLY to

KNIT-A-SQUARE SA

Monthly donation:

Image result for please images

Please go directly to the Donate page HERE as the Subscribe button below is experiencing difficulties !

[To view other options, Click on Option 1]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One time donation:

FINANCIAL REPORT

Since the start of our appeal in March 2017 we have raised $17484.

This is really helping to give KAS financial stability

Thank you all !!!

Link : LATEST KAS FINANCIAL UPDATE 

SHOP

VISIT THE KAS SHOP

HERE

KAS MERCHANDISE

CLICK HERE

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK

here 

HELPFUL HINTS

New to the forum?

Please click on

HELPFUL HINTS tab

at the top of this  

page

HAVE A QUESTION?             

Please click here

SQUARES LIST

The May 2017 Squares List is available.

Please visit the website http://www.knit-a-square.com and click on "Received Squares"

© 2017   Created by Sandy McDonald.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service