Wow, what fantastic discussions everyone about the September challenge. I have included everything that was possible in the challenge, including your requests for it to go beyond one month. There are also many options to become involved in, so no one needs to feel under pressure - please just chose what you feel you can do - every contribution will make a difference! Here are the options: Challenge 1 – Jabulani Khakibos Boys' Blankets 35 blankets made of 35 squares each = 1,225 squares in sturdy boy type colours and yarns. Just nominate below anything from 1 square to 35. Challenge 2 - 35 GO-OVERS (next week!) Select a boys name and size for this challenge. (I am waiting on their names, sizes and ages) from Stephanie. But you could indicate in the meantime if you intend to knit or crochet a GO-OVER. (BTW, once their names are published, we can add an initialed square for their blankets if you would like.) Challenge 3 – The Hill Kids - 30 felted blankets 30 x 40 = 1,200 felted squares. For this challenge we are suggesting that you felt an old existing wool jumper of garment such as shown on the site here, rather than knitting a square and then felting it. Felting a pure wool jumper is easy (as long as it is not washable wool). You just pop it into a hot wash with lots of soap and then put it into the tumble dryer. We got 40 squares easily out of 3 middle sized jumpers and a little bit of a moth-eaten old wool blanket, all of them were second hand from opportunity shops. Click here for the site instructions on felting squares. For those of you who are sewers, we are just checking with Ronda as to whether we should risk sending a whole blanket regarding duty, it may be best to send strips or just piles of squares. Wandile and the Parish ladies are very happy to crochet together blankets but I will get back to you all in a day or so. We had dozens of great ideas about how to join felted squares and we will publish them in this thread. Challenge 4 - 100 Hill Kids hats, knitted, crocheted and sewn fleecy hats These need to be warm and cosy and however you want to make them. We would suggest that you make them for 8 - 18 year olds. We felt that we could not know exactly who was living up in those hills, but certainly Eloise will find a way of getting needy children warm hats who live outdoors. Even in summer a hat would be useful in the middle of the night. Hope this has captured everything, look forward to an exciting month(s). PLEDGES to 3 September - Go team! Mary Lokken - 1 GO-OVER, hats Sandy McDonald - 40 felted squares, 4 knitted squares Ann De Boer - 7 hats, 19 squares, 1 GO-OVER Christine Johnson - 1 GO-OVER, 8 hats Dawn Laverty - 1 GO-OVER Jeanne Haessler - 1 GO-OVER, 1 hat Suzanne DeFalco - 1 GO-OVER, 5 squares Linda & David Maltby - 35 squares MrsRCm - 3 squares Janet Emily Mangione - As many felted squares as possible, 1 GO-OVER, 3 hats Andrea Palmatier - 1 GO-OVER, as many felted squares as possible Karen - 40 felted squares, 10 hats Galereh Taj - 1 GO-OVER, as many hats as possible Zanny Blew - 2 knitted squares, 2 crocheted squares, 1 GO-OVER, 2 hats Tina Davis - 1 Go-OVER and hats Dochas22 - 35 squares Kalai McDonald - I'll try my hand at felted squares this month, will let you know the tally Anne Powell - 4 GO OVERS Laurie Hake - 1 hat Jacqueline Sousa - hats Claire O - 5 hats for Hills kids, 5 squares for Jabulani boys Elaine Jones - 1 GO-OVER, 1 hat Angela Deakin - squares and hats Jen Phillips - 1 GO-OVER, 2 hats, squares Rebecca Westcott - 35 squares for Jabulani boys, at least 5 hats for Hills kids Sue Gillman - 35 squares Cluadia Brau - 3 wool squares (Jabulani) & erasers Anne Lokken - 1 GO-OVER, 2 hats Katelen Lowry - 15 squares (Jabulani) Julia Kempton - 2 hats, 5 crochet squares Laurie Hake - 35 squares Pam Lee - felted squares Posted items: Mary Lokken - 3 big boys beanies Zanny Blew - 2 big boy beanies JabulaniKhakiBos Boys AGE NAME & SURNAME sizes 9 Thembani Ncube (7-8yrs) 11 Anathi Mthethwa (11-12yrs) 11 Kabelo Legodi (9-10yrs) 12 Sandile Zondi (13-14yrs) 12 Shane Kocha (11-12yrs) 12 Lebogang Springbok (10-11yrs) 14 Idris Kasongo (12-13 yrs) 14 Mbulelo Mbayimbayi (8-9yrs) 15 Lucas Khumba (14-15yrs) 15 Teboho Makatsa (14-15yrs) 16 Jessy Tshilumba (Large) 16 Mohau Legodi (13-14yrs) 16 Odirile Maboya (13-14yrs) 16 Slad Makumba (15-16yrs) 16 John Kumbe (15-16yrs) 18 Lemosh Wamusse (16-17yrs) 17 Lisborn Maseko (Medium) 17 Luyanda Ntsuka (Medium) 18 Angelo Wamusse (16-17yrs) 18 Tshepo Mpine (Medium) 18 Tshepo Hlatshwayo (15-16yrs) 18 Amis Nzirubusa (16-17yrs) 19 Donald Maseko (Medium) 19 Sphiwe Mahlangu (Medium) 20 Phumlani Mbayimbayi (Medium) 20 Yandisa Fanaphi (16-17yrs) 21 Thabiso Mokheledi (Medium) 21 Omari Nzirubusa (Medium) 21 Buhle Hlatshwayo (Medium) 22 Sibusiso Nkosi (Medium)

You need to be a member of Square Circle Forum to add comments!

Join Square Circle Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hmmm, there should be an icon somewhere...and you should just be able to click it to take a photo. Otherwise I'd look in the computer controls menu. Hmmm. Got a "help" menu for the controls for the webcam? Somebody who's wiser--HELP! ;)
  • Hi Kalai, I am putting my 4 squares for the blankets into the mail today! Still to go the felted squares. Oh Linda, fingerless gloves would be fantastic.
    • Thank you Sandy, will get on it as soon as finished baby blankets. It's still in the theme of a square, will let you know how the first one knits up.xx
      • You have a point, Linda, a fingerless glove is basically a square (or rectangle if you want the cuff longer) sewed up two sides, with a thumb added partway up one side. Not a whole thumb, but a few rounds to enclose the thumb joint. A member here generously made me a pair and they're very handy now we're into chilly autumn. Mind you there are MANY patterns for pretty fingerless gloves, and plain ones, on the Net. Checking Bernat yarn's site or Lion Brand Yarn's site would give several free patterns I am sure.
        • Yes Jeanne you are so right about the making, have adapted a pattern to suit,first prototype finished, knitting it in chunky wool works great. I did it with only one seam leave hole for thumb, my hubby was my model and sure enough you don't need to knit the thumb, the rib covers the base nicely, basically I used:
          Chunky wool and kept it real simple.
          6mm needles casted on 30 stitches, worked 2" in 2k, 2p rib
          changed to 7mm needles knitted 6" in st, st, one row plain, one row purl
          6mm needles 2" in 2k, 2p rib
          cast off
          Fold over sew up to thumb position leave hole sew up to top. 10" in length perfect.
          • OOps! so sorry I guess my grey matter is failing me, I casted on 36 stitches in chunky not 30, for the fingerless glove, sorry for any confusion.xx
            • No problemo Linda. I'll just add that correction to the knitting patterns area where I already added your pattern. Thanks!
              • Thank you Jeanne I really appreciate that.xx
                • You're very welcome. It only took me like 20 minutes to remember where the heck I stuck it and then find it, LOL. I am not brilliant around computers! :D
                  • Me neither, I'm desperate to put a photo of the gloves on, my netbook has a built in webcam but do you think I kind find out how to use the darn thing, if any body can help me I would be most grateful.xx
This reply was deleted.