Square Circle Forum

This discussion aims to give you an up-close and personal look at what happens on opening days at the Knit-a-Square barn.  I'm a partially-sighted volunteer who who attends with my guide dog Tango and my driver Bongi, who has also become a keen volunteer.  While everyone else opens parcels, sorts squares and packs items ready for distribution, I listen and take mental notes so I can pass on something of the atmosphere on the ground.  Enjoy!

Views: 950

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you, Leanne :)  Sadly, South Africa does have its trials.  I agree that it is wonderful to belong to this positive community we call KAS.  I am looking forward to watching our story unfold.

Trying new things is something that a lot of us have done since becoming part of this incredible KAS family ... a family that keeps on growing as crafters from everywhere reach out to hug South Africa's children with their handwork.  The inspiration we get from each other, and the friendships we have made along the way are extremely special ... xo

Thank you, Leanne, your insights and information shared, is so appreciated by those of us far, far, away.  xo 

Thank you again, Leanne, for keeping us in touch with the 'centre' - although you say this is 'not a very newsy entry', it's always good to have a sense of being in the KASbarn with you, and hear of the chat that goes on.  As a relative newcomer to KAS, I'm really looking forward to those reflections on the last ten years.

Living in Cape Town, I can confirm that life here is 'interesting' at the moment, between the drought and the political tensions, both provincial and national, but knitting an crocheting for KAS is a wonderful escape, and a constant reminder, if we needed it, that there are so many thousands of people with much bigger problems than we have.  Here's to the next ten years!

Thank you so very much Leanne. 

It's always a plasure to read your accounts of life at KAS HQ, Leanne.

The Cape Town crisi is terrible. The photos on FB of all the bottles of water being delivered is cheering, but is just "a drop in the ocean". Sorry about the inappropriate expression. I was touched by the ways in which people outside the Cape try to help.

Thanks again Leanne. Your  news is always newsy for those of us far away!  A visit to the KAS barn through your ears is always a pleasure. Good luck with the slippers !

I am sad to hear of Capetown's problems particularly with water. Desalinated water is not nice to drink so I hope bottled water will continue to be available even if the desalination plants come to fruition. It takes such a consolidated effort for a community of any size to restrict themselves. Some people just don't think of consequences. I do hope it will all be resolved.  It is enough to have the political tensions  without basic necessities going awry.

I have just been reading that Cape Town has had some rain and that the cut off day for their water supply has been put back from April to 11th May.
Let's hope they get some more as it is obviously still very difficult.

Let's hope that they get more and more rain.

RSS

DONATE: KNIT-A-SQUARE

Monthly donation:

Click on box to change options

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One time donation:

FINANCIAL REPORT

KAS supplied blankets, hats, handwarmers and toys to over 5,500 children in 2017.  If Ronda’s wishes come true, in 2018 even more children will receive the gift of warmth and love from around the world.

READ HOW YOU CAN HELP

SQUARES LIST

The JANUARY 2018 Squares List is available. Please visit the website http://www.knit-a-square.com and click on "Received Squares"

HELPFUL HINTS

New to the forum?

Please click on

HELPFUL HINTS tab

at the top of this  

page

HAVE A QUESTION?             

Please click here

© 2018   Created by Sandy McDonald.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service