Square Circle Forum

This discussion aims to give you an up-close and personal look at what happens on opening days at the Knit-a-Square barn.  I'm a partially-sighted volunteer who who attends with my guide dog Tango and my driver Bongi, who has also become a keen volunteer.  While everyone else opens parcels, sorts squares and packs items ready for distribution, I listen and take mental notes so I can pass on something of the atmosphere on the ground.  Enjoy!

Views: 5276

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you Leanne

Lovely report. Sad to hear that the postal strike affected Mandela day distributions, but I see it looks like it may be over now, fingers crossed!

Ronda's story reminds me of how I got involved in Knit a Square. I had to give up work (due to health issues) and I was finding it hard to fill in my days. I had thought about doing some knitting but wondered what I could make and what to do with it when it was done. Only about a week later I picked up Take 5 magazine to have a read, and lo and behold there was the article about Knit a Square's work! I got involved the same day I read the article and have been knitting and after a while crocheting ever since!

Knit a Square was just what I needed, now I can knit and crochet as much as time allows and I am never bored. Best of all the children also benefit from the items I make. A match truly made in heaven!

That's great to hear Wendy, and I'm sure there are many more of our members who could say the same thing.

Just to share a few photos from this week's opening day....

Attachments:

It was also Mabel's birthday, so we had a festive celebration. Meanwhile, Tango objected to the cold floor and crawled onto the chair for a bit of creature comfort!

Attachments:

Well Wendy, when something is right for you, usually a sign arrives to confirm it! Your employers loss was a gain for the children of South Africa - we all love your imaginative contributions!

Mabel's birthday.

Poor Tango....

Thanks Bev for posting the pics in the proper format!

RSS

DONATE: KNIT-A-SQUARE

Monthly donation:

Click on box to change options

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One time donation:

FINANCIAL REPORT

Postal costs for incoming parcels has risen alarmingly since mid-April
because of a new rule that ALL overseas parcels attract the customary
handling fee and that has been increased to R51.50 PER PARCEL[$3.74USD].
for June figures click :

See how you may help!

Stipend for Thomas Appeal

SQUARES LIST

The JULY  2018 Squares List is available.

Please click

HERE

2018 THEMES OF THE MONTH

Planning ahead??

See the 2018

LIST OF THEMES

AND

WHAT OUR CHILDREN NEED.

Notes

KAS PATTERN BOOK

Visit the KAS Pattern Book for free patterns in knit, crochet, loom and sewing. …

Continue

Created by Linda Maltby May 2, 2018 at 8:26am. Last updated by Linda Maltby Aug 1.

© 2018   Created by Sandy McDonald.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service