If you live in Australia and you're a keen wool crafter, you've probably heard of The Australian Sheep and Wool Show. It's an absolutely huge event held in Bendigo, Victoria during July every year. In previous years the show has seen nearly 30,000 people come through the showground gates to celebrate sheep, lamb, and woolcraft, and every year has been a bigger event than the last!

This year, the show's Woolcraft committee has generously donated a space in the community area for a dedicated KasCare Sit-And-Knit!

We'll be there all three days, teaching people to knit and crochet and sharing stories from KAS with passionate wool crafters and professionals.

We're hoping to run a schedule of activities, including 'Learn to' sessions for knitting and crochet, presentations about KasCare projects like KasKids and KasElders, and depending on timing and availability, we might even see if we can organize a live Skype session with some of the KAS SA volunteers!

The Bendigo Showgrounds, soon to be full of sheep and wool!

This is a fantastic opportunity for KasCare to speak to a huge number of passionate and dedicated crafters, but it's also a great weekend out for anyone who loves wool. If you're planning on going to the show this year and have a bit of time to spare, we'd love for to have you help out on the table for a little while. Just send me a PM letting me know and we'll organize something!

Australian Woolcraft, who have provided us with this space and this opportunity, also offers free passes to the show for people who volunteer to help the competition judges in the days leading up to the show. If you're an aspiring competitive woolcrafter, this is also a great opportunity to see what sort of things the judges are looking for! If you think this sounds like something you'd like to find out about, send me a PM and I'll forward through the organizer's details.

Judging day at the Sheep and wool show

You can read more about the Sheep and Wool show here:

http://www.sheepshow.com/

Or read more about Australian Woolcraft, who manage the community space we will be in, here:

http://australianwoolcraft.com/

I'll keep you all informed as to how it's progressing as we get closer to the 18th, 19th and 20th of July!

You need to be a member of Square Circle Forum to add comments!

Join Square Circle Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Wow… sounds like a cool event.  I've never heard of it.  I hope you do well spreading the word about KAS!

• You and your volunteers certainly did a fantastic job of spreading the word at this event, Erica. WELL DONE!!

• So far Bev, 23 Aussies have joined through the Sheep Show - brilliant! Commonwealth Games start today in Scotland!!

• Well done Erica, you certainly worked your socks off - so take a breather. We'll add this mini-report to KasSnippets and can do a larger piece for the August edition.  So far 17 lovingly members from Australia have joined the Forum, and, it will be great to see their work posted on the Photo tab!

• Excellent display Erica !  You have been very busy all week-end if the number of new Australian members is an indication.  As Pam said, take time to catch your breath.  We will patiently wait for the report and more photos :-)

• I'm just today back from the Australian Sheep and Wool Show in Bendigo.

I had originally planned to keep everyone updated day by day, but I had clearly failed to factor in my own exhaustion levels! I'll be writing a proper report up for everyone in the next couple of days, but until then I wanted to call out a big 'hi' to all the new members who have signed up after visiting us at the show, and also to share a couple of my favorite photos from the three days.

2868271768?profile=original

2965159921?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

2868294877?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

Keep an eye out for the full report (and maybe even a few videos!), which I'll be posting in the next couple of days.

• Congratulations, Erica!  The show was obviously a smashing success judging from the number of new members you have brought on board.

The display looks great.  I really like the slogan on the poster "He's orphaned but he's not without warmth"

• Well done to this point Erica. It sounds fabulous. Being winter it will be warm inside the buildings and tents with all that wool around. Good luck. :-)

I could send you up some Wool-Girl books to sell or give away.

• Thanks Maudie! I'm quite looking forward to it!

Alas, one of the restrictions placed on us in getting this space allocated for free was that we could not accept any money from anyone over the weekend, so unfortunately we're not allowed to sell anything. (We can't even have a donation jar, although we are able to hand out leaflets with instructions on how to donate online.) Thank you for the offer though!

• Oh of course, thank you Erica. I would come and help if I could.

It will be exciting but exhausting but you will be smiling at the end. :)

This reply was deleted.