This photographic album will provide a record of blankets made up from the lovingly created squares sent to South Africa from all corners of the globe.  Various groups have laboured in SA to join the squares together to form these wonderfully warm blankets for the children to sleep under and to be used as wrap-round coats during the cold winter days. 

The beauty of all this wonderfully generous work is that one square can be can be stitched together on four sides by squares made by members from many different countries - clearly demonstrating the caring capacity of people who work with yarn!

Once the first 95 blankets are posted, I'll go through the records and add others that have been created from members squares. Due to the passage in time it won't be possible to date all of these blankets, however, having recognised some squares from earlier in the year it is likely that 1 - 95 were posted to South Africa this year!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As requested, here is a little bit about Lorinda from Ronda : Lorinda is a new contact in South Africa (about 3 months ago) and discovered KAS on the web whilst working with projects through her church outreach - aimed at reaching out to orphaned and vulnerable children in the Sabie area. Lorinda said she would love to have some KAS items to distribute on our behalf.  

Sabie is a small town on the Sabie River in Mpumulanga Province, which is in the east of the country and close to Kruger National Park - about 3.5 hours from Johannesburg by road.  Sabie is close to a very large area named Bushbuckridge which is extremely poor and in which there are large squatter settlements.

Lorinda started off with some squares and a few beanies, but has since managed to arrange, on two occasions, for people from Sabie visiting Johannesburg, to collect beanies &  jerseys and more squares. The team is working like a Trojan - as we can all see from the first 41 blankets!

Ronda commented that it is wonderful when people are enthusiastic and you can see that they are on the same page.....and of course, it's lovely to spread the joy into other provinces of South Africa!

You need to be a member of Square Circle Forum to add comments!

Join Square Circle Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Pam
    Just love the way you 'orchestrate' it all - technology!
    I do not seem to be able to find this year's blanket room any more. Is it just me being less tech savvy than usual?
    Thanks!
    • Hi Molly, do not worry about your skills being the problem - sadly one of us Admins/Mods managed to delete the 2014 Blanket Room Collection! Unfortunately Erica wasn't able to retrieve it from Ning, but I can access the original photos and will be re-instating/building it today. However, all the previous comments will have been lost!

• Wheew - what a relief, Pam! While I'm a reasonably good blanketiser, my IT skills are at best questionable...looking forward to being able to view again.
        Poor you. What a way to spend a day
      • Pam, thank you for the explanation.  I, also, was looking to find one of Molly's blankets and couldn't. 

• Me too. I was trying to find The Blanket Room 2014, but had no luck. Now I know why, so i can go to sleep happy!

• More from the Blanket Room

2965105562?profile=original

2965106177?profile=original

2965106241?profile=original

2965106300?profile=original

2965106390?profile=original

2965106515?profile=original

2965106565?profile=original

2965106606?profile=original

2965106655?profile=original

2965106704?profile=original

2965106679?profile=original

• Thank you Pam. Amazing - isn't it great that the digital camera has given us so much joy to see the blankets for little ongoing cost. I love the square stripes inside the borders in the last blanket posted.

Great job everyone. :>)

• Each one is a winner!  I love all the stripes, and the diagonals, and the miters, and the log cabins, and the ribs, and ... well, I guess I love them all!

• Just GREAT work!!  Looking at this last blanket, I think that we should have a stripe challenge and a log cabin challenge. 

• Mili, it looks like another case of "great minds think alike" -- you and the Moderators were thinking alike.   I just checked the Challenges for 2014, and it looks like July is set up as a Stripe Challenge, also to include ZigZags, Textures, and Mandela themes.   We had a similar one in 2013 (August, I think) and it was great fun, so I think we can expect great things in July 2014! 

This reply was deleted.