Square Circle Forum

This photographic album will provide a record of blankets made up from the lovingly created squares sent to South Africa from all corners of the globe.  Various groups have laboured in SA to join the squares together to form these wonderfully warm blankets for the children to sleep under and to be used as wrap-round coats during the cold winter days. 

The beauty of all this wonderfully generous work is that one square can be can be stitched together on four sides by squares made by members from many different countries - clearly demonstrating the caring capacity of people who work with yarn!

Once the first 95 blankets are posted, I'll go through the records and add others that have been created from members squares. Due to the passage in time it won't be possible to date all of these blankets, however, having recognised some squares from earlier in the year it is likely that 1 - 95 were posted to South Africa this year!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As requested, here is a little bit about Lorinda from Ronda : Lorinda is a new contact in South Africa (about 3 months ago) and discovered KAS on the web whilst working with projects through her church outreach - aimed at reaching out to orphaned and vulnerable children in the Sabie area. Lorinda said she would love to have some KAS items to distribute on our behalf.  

Sabie is a small town on the Sabie River in Mpumulanga Province, which is in the east of the country and close to Kruger National Park - about 3.5 hours from Johannesburg by road.  Sabie is close to a very large area named Bushbuckridge which is extremely poor and in which there are large squatter settlements.

Lorinda started off with some squares and a few beanies, but has since managed to arrange, on two occasions, for people from Sabie visiting Johannesburg, to collect beanies &  jerseys and more squares. The team is working like a Trojan - as we can all see from the first 41 blankets!

Ronda commented that it is wonderful when people are enthusiastic and you can see that they are on the same page.....and of course, it's lovely to spread the joy into other provinces of South Africa!

Views: 44117

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Cherry, there is no hard & fast rule about sending completed blankets - the main purpose is to give the Ladies of Soweto the dignity of helping their own communities.  It is absolutely essential that 'we' do not treat them like poor victims.  Until KAS came along, these Ladies believed that the rest of the world didn't give a damn about the children.  Once they realised 'we' did, they wanted to be part of it!

If the word had got around that people were sending completed blankets through the post, then our parcels would have become targets for theft.  Sending the squares unmade protected them. However, if you designed a blanket you might like to do what Wendy does, she photographs the design and includes it with the squares - the stitchers then make it up to her design!  Here is a link to Wendy's blankets : http://forum.knit-a-square.com/photo/photo/listForContributor?scree...

Hi Cherry I crocheted up my blankets because the the people who donated me wool / yarn I felt would be rewarded by seeing the end product ( one lady had given me about £60 of pure Rowan wool ) but I'm deflinately going to up my production of loose squares so blanket packs can be made up. The pics you posted Pam of out reach and locals sewing them up on site emphasised the importance of doing that for me. It does give more dignity.

I love your blankets btw, I didn't mean to criticize them, just curious if I could :). I realized it may have sounded like that after I had posted it.

don't worry I didn't feel it was a criticism! Am hoping as autumn comes on that my production of squares will improve - currently finishing off hexagon sweaters. I think I'll find something on the iplayer and get crafty prodctive!

Thanks Pam! Love that idea, I didn't know you could send a pic for them to use like that!!

More photographs of blankets made up from members squares!

So Cute!  Lots of stash busting and challenge squares.  Love to see them all put together. 

These are so colourful.  My favourite the one with the Christmas colours  wheel the Plain Janes show off the crochet squares to sell.

This post makes me so happy! One of the quilts has 4 of my squares in it.  I hope the child who sleeps under it stays safe and warm.  I'll be thinking of them.

With your squares and kind thoughts that child will definitely be warmed in more ways than we will ever know Jane!

More blankets recently sewn together :

I see my truck in the bottom photo... and are those Anneke's mushrooms???

RSS

NEWS FLASH !

THE NOVEMBER SQUARES LIST IS AVAILABLE  HERE  ! 

The South African Postal strike is over.  However, the huge backlog means the S.A. team will not receive parcels in the order sent.  Do not be dismayed if your parcel is not on this list, it will be on the next one or even the one after that !

In your parcel, please remember to include the Packing Inventory slip found HERE.  

Donations

Make a monthly donation:

Or make a one-time donation:

SQUARE SHOP

SQUARE SHOP 

Need a last minute Christmas gift ? Or something for a 'hard to buy for' person ? Why not purchase a ream of paper.

paper

Or a set of posters.

learningposters

Link to KAS SHOP

PATTERN REVISIONS !

A NOTE ABOUT OUR PATTERN REVISIONS AND WHY THEY ARE IMPORTANT

This photo shows some excellent vests with good body length and generous armholes.  We are recommending having armholes 1/3, side seam 2/3 of total body length. 

To read more go to : 

Pattern Revisions

KasBlog

Read the latest KasBlog from Andrea :

THE KNIT(-A-SQUARE) RETREAT

Please click here

Ronda on the Radio!

20th June 2014

LISTEN TO RONDA !

Ronda was interviewed live on Radio Veritas at 08h30 on 20th. Tune in to 576MW or DSTV channel 870

Direct Link

click on the sound symbol on the left side of moving grey line!

© 2014   Created by Sandy McDonald.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service