Square Circle Forum

This photographic album will provide a record of blankets made up from the lovingly created squares sent to South Africa from all corners of the globe.  Various groups have laboured in SA to join the squares together to form these wonderfully warm blankets for the children to sleep under and to be used as wrap-round coats during the cold winter days. 

The beauty of all this wonderfully generous work is that one square can be can be stitched together on four sides by squares made by members from many different countries - clearly demonstrating the caring capacity of people who work with yarn!

Once the first 95 blankets are posted, I'll go through the records and add others that have been created from members squares. Due to the passage in time it won't be possible to date all of these blankets, however, having recognised some squares from earlier in the year it is likely that 1 - 95 were posted to South Africa this year!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As requested, here is a little bit about Lorinda from Ronda : Lorinda is a new contact in South Africa (about 3 months ago) and discovered KAS on the web whilst working with projects through her church outreach - aimed at reaching out to orphaned and vulnerable children in the Sabie area. Lorinda said she would love to have some KAS items to distribute on our behalf.  

Sabie is a small town on the Sabie River in Mpumulanga Province, which is in the east of the country and close to Kruger National Park - about 3.5 hours from Johannesburg by road.  Sabie is close to a very large area named Bushbuckridge which is extremely poor and in which there are large squatter settlements.

Lorinda started off with some squares and a few beanies, but has since managed to arrange, on two occasions, for people from Sabie visiting Johannesburg, to collect beanies &  jerseys and more squares. The team is working like a Trojan - as we can all see from the first 41 blankets!

Ronda commented that it is wonderful when people are enthusiastic and you can see that they are on the same page.....and of course, it's lovely to spread the joy into other provinces of South Africa!

Views: 43485

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I thought I recognized your ecofelt truck, Anne.  Doesn't it look great in this blanket along with Anneke's mushroom square???  What a great job the blanket stitchers have done.

How nice that you see your squares!  :D

Thank You, Pam, for posting these pictures.   All the blankets look just great.  I recognize some of my squares from the Four Seasons Challenge, but they are much better looking now that they are surrounded by some beautiful solid squares from other contributors.

Even more blankets - again recently sewn together :

WOW!  You guys have been BUSY!  Keep up the good work!

The blankets are all going to look bright and beautiful on the children. Wonderful work putting them together so that every one of them is beautiful and special.

They are beautiful!

What a wonderful array of blankets.  I was delighted to spot two of my crochet squares.  I do like the way the stitchers match colours and patterns.  .  Congratulations toe everyone involved.

Lovely to 'see' you in the forum, Maggie.  ((hugs)).

Wow, some really lovely bright blankets there, and the picture squares all make a lovely extra feature.  Well done to all the knitters, crocheters and sewers.

A few more blankets!

Blanket stitched by Trish, who is yet to crochet around the edge - having been taught by Oti!

Blanket stitched by Annette from the USA

Blanket stitched by Oti and crocheted around in bright green!

These are GORGEOUS!!!  Love the diagonal squares.

RSS

NEWS FLASH !

SPAMMER ALERT !

IF YOU HAVE RECEIVED A SUSPICIOUS EMAIL SENT BY A SUPPOSED KAS MEMBER

DO NOT RESPOND !!!!

Donations

Make a monthly donation:

Or make a one-time donation:

KasBlog

Read the latest KasBlog from Andrea :

BEHOLD THE EVOLUTION

Please click here

PATTERN REVISIONS !

A NOTE ABOUT OUR PATTERN REVISIONS AND WHY THEY ARE IMPORTANT

This photo shows some excellent vests with good body length and generous armholes.  We are recommending having armholes 1/3, side seam 2/3 of total body length. 

To read more go to : 

Pattern Revisions

SQUARE SHOP

Paper for a Crèche

paper

Give the children the chance to share their creativity by providing paper to draw and write with.

Click Here to buy paper.

RADIO INTERVIEW !

20th June 2014

LISTEN TO RONDA !

Ronda was interviewed live on Radio Veritas at 08h30 on 20th. Tune in to 576MW or DSTV channel 870

Direct Link

click on the sound symbol on the left side of moving grey line!

© 2014   Created by Sandy McDonald.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service