Square Circle Forum

Information

Canadian Corner

For those living right side up, and half a day behind those Aussies who are upside down! Lets hear it - Those Canadians, eh? they are good stitchers!

Members: 112
Latest Activity: Jul 2

Discussion Forum

Checklist for sending to South Africa

Started by Linda Maltby. Last reply by Anne Powell Nov 12, 2014. 11 Replies

Postage Rates to South Africa

Started by Linda Maltby. Last reply by Linda Maltby Aug 26, 2014. 8 Replies

Sorting Space Rent

Started by Linda Maltby Mar 18, 2014. 0 Replies

Comment Wall

Comment

You need to be a member of Canadian Corner to add comments!

Comment by Tina (Christine) Davis on June 2, 2009 at 3:04am
Well, I am proud of all our Canadian Knitters...!
When I joined Knit-a-square, back in Feb/09, there was only a few of us. Nice to see our group is growing...
Happy Knitting Ladies
Comment by P. Jeanne Haessler on June 1, 2009 at 1:12am
That's awesome Sandy. I imagine if we all do a spring cleaning we'll find some surprises in our closets that we can send on. Kudos for having the patience to sew them all up into 8 inchers. I recall watching my mother do intricate quilting-a flower garden pattern, lots of tiny pieces and vowing right then and there to never try it, lolol. The triangles are the most sewing I'm doing. So far the first hat is turning out great, just haven't figured out what to top it with, not sure a pom-pom is the answer...hmmm.
Comment by Sandy McDonald on May 31, 2009 at 2:44pm
I agree with you Jeanne, the smaller squares is a great way to get youngsters going. Yesterday we were doing a final clean out of the girls cupboards (they left home ages ago) and we have been wanting to reclaim the extra space! Guess what we found, lots of little 4 x 4 inch squares that had been rather beautifully knitted by them when they were very young. Completely forgotten of course. I wonder how many millions of squares there are like that languishing in cupboards all over the world. Anyway I stitched them together last night and bingo another 7 squares!
Comment by Anne Powell on May 29, 2009 at 4:00am
Jeanne, I will try to get a photo of Maddie and our squares this weekend, then if I can figure out how to post it to the forum, will do that too.

Glad you have joined the Canadian Corner... always enjoyed your comments on the old forum, so it's nice to have you onboard here.
Comment by P. Jeanne Haessler on May 29, 2009 at 3:03am
Anne I love that you're able to encourage your 11 year old granddaughter that way--what a great idea to knit up the square to 8 inches in size for her. Do you have any photos of the squares for us to see? I will log that "small squares from kids" info away for future use in case I meet any youngsters who would similarly find smaller squares more doable. Tremendous idea! And it's a wonderful idea to have ministers or pastors "bless" the finished items or stacks of squares so they will arrive safely and so the recipients will feel of the love and care knit into every square. "We can do no great things, only small things with great love."-Mother Theresa.

And hang in there Andrea. I've got 4 grown kids but I well remember losing sight of my toes for months and needing a block and tackle to get me up out of some very soft couches I sank into. :)

PJ
Comment by Anne Powell on May 23, 2009 at 1:55am
KNITTING AND KIDS

Making an 8" square can be a daunting task for a kid learning to knit! My 11 year old grand-daughter, Maddie, wanted to be part of this project, so we had her knit 3 ½ or 4" squares, - much more manageable for this age group. Then I added crochet edges to bring them up to the 8" size. Since she like to work with variegated wool, and since I have a stash of many colours and could pick up the various colours in her squares, the result was some very pretty squares, a nice “partnership” between us, and a sense of accomplishment for her. So far we have made 3 squares together.

Let’s see if we can get our “Kanuck Kids” knitting too!
Comment by Anne Powell on May 23, 2009 at 1:14am
SPREADING THE WORD

Amazing how talking about KAS to anyone who will listen has the effect of producing squares!

I introduced the project to the Women's Auxilliary at our church a couple of months ago. Several members are now knitting for us and the group will pay for the postage when we have amassed a big pile of squares.

And even better, these ladies are telling friends from other churches! Yesterday, I had a call from a lady who attends a very small church in a nearby village. Amazingly, this church has a knitting group which was started by their female minister (I think the group has 10-12 members)! They have been making prayer shawls and doing hats for other charities, but they are going to check out the KAS website and will most likely jump on board. This church has a lovely idea - the minister makes it a habit to hold a small "blessing service" in front of the whole congregation during the Sunday service, before any of their knitting is sent away. That way, the whole congregation is aware of the charity and has the opportunity to join in and/or spread the word even further!

Members (112)

DONATE: KNIT-A-SQUARE

Monthly donation:

Payment Options

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One time donation:

FINANCIAL REPORT

Since the start of our appeal in March 2017 we have raised $29744.

This is really helping to give KAS financial stability

Thank you all !!!

Link : LATEST KAS FINANCIAL UPDATE 

SHOP

VISIT THE KAS SHOP

HERE

BUY 2 BAGS OF FRUIT

CLICK HERE

SQUARES LIST

The September 2017 Squares List is available. Please visit the website http://www.knit-a-square.com and click on "Received Squares"

HELPFUL HINTS

New to the forum?

Please click on

HELPFUL HINTS tab

at the top of this  

page

HAVE A QUESTION?             

Please click here

© 2017   Created by Sandy McDonald.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service