Square Circle Forum

Downunder and land of the long white cloud

Information

Downunder and land of the long white cloud

For all of us who live upside down on the bottom of the earth to share local craft events, wool and yarn specials and other bits of interest.

Members: 158
Latest Activity: Oct 3

Discussion Forum

Winter specials!!!

Started by Lyn Yvette Gardiner. Last reply by Maureen (Maudie) Anne Bryan Jul 11, 2015. 2 Replies

Yarn - where to buy

Started by Jypsi Mabbott. Last reply by Tricia Hughes Jun 20, 2015. 11 Replies

Would anyone like my squares?

Started by Allison Winter. Last reply by Susan Goode May 9, 2015. 15 Replies

Comment Wall

Comment

You need to be a member of Downunder and land of the long white cloud to add comments!

Comment by Bev Jeffery on October 3, 2018 at 6:54pm

Hi Aussie KASfriends.

The postal system in South Africa has had a 'shake up' these past months and they seem bent on collecting as much duty/customs fees at their end, as they possibly can. I urge you all to scroll down the page on the following link, until you read the message from our dear Ronda, regarding this. Please everyone, mark your parcels as a gift, no commercial value and in the box where it asks for the value, place $0, or if you have a p.o. like mine, who will not accept that, place $1 value. For the future of KAS, this is extremely important, as Ronda and the fundraising team are having difficulty acquiring sufficient funds to pay these postal fees. Thank you so much for your consideration.

Here is the link: Remember, you will have to scroll down the page to find it.  :))

http://forum.knit-a-square.com/forum/topics/sorted-in-south-africa-...

Comment by Wendy on June 23, 2018 at 1:46pm

Hi Tricia,

Hope you can overcome the arthritis and do some knitting, I would be really sad if I couldn't knit/crochet.

Just a suggestion, but have you tried Emulgel or Emulgel for Arthritis? I use the Emulgel on my neck and it does help to reduce pain and swelling.

Otherwise, perhaps next time you see your doctor you could ask him/her about it?

Also my mother has a lot of arthritis and she recently tried bamboo needles which she said are lighter and easier to work with.

Hope this helps some.

Comment by Bev Jeffery on June 23, 2018 at 12:54pm

For Aussies and Kiwis who have been concerned re the time lapse from when they send their parcel and when it appears on the KAS Received Lists, here is some info that may shed some light for us all. Thank you Susanne Leverton from South Australia for finding this.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A 400% increase in items from abroad has delayed parcel delivery, says the South African Post Office.

Several Mercury readers have contacted the newspaper saying that they had been waiting months for the delivery of items ordered online, or from relatives overseas.

Head of Mail Operations at the Post Office (SAPO), Mark Van Rensburg said that the delays were due to the influx of incoming items.

“Compared to a year ago, the SA Post Office has seen a 400% increase in items from abroad, and this is delaying incoming items,” he said.

He said: "In efforts to  speed up the  processing of incoming post, an additional 40 extra staff members have been transferred to the Johannesburg international sorting centre, where all incoming post and parcels are delivered to upon arrival into South Africa."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So folks, perhaps herein lies the answer as to why our parcels are 'seemingly' taking longer to arrive. They probably have arrived in SA, but are waiting to be sorted.  :))

Comment by Bev Jeffery on June 23, 2018 at 12:47pm

Have just started experiencing some joint pain (with the cold weather) in one finger...it was in my thumb, last year....hoping this is not arthritis 'beginnings'. I hope someone has some tips/strategies for you, Tricia....I know I would be 'lost' if I couldn't knit.  :((

Comment by Tricia Hughes on June 23, 2018 at 10:10am

Guilty, have not done any knitting for a year. Sewing dog coats for rescue groups and gowns for stillborn babes. Need to get my hands back into shape. I have arthritis, does anyone else here have any good strategies for knitting and arthritic hands ? 

Comment by Anne Powell on November 30, 2017 at 3:30am

OOOPS - forgot the link to the KAS-KRISTMAS discussion.

Here it is   http://forum.knit-a-square.com/forum/topics/kas-kristmas?page=8&...

Comment by Anne Powell on November 30, 2017 at 2:26am

Be sure to visit our KAS-KRISTMAS discussion and join in the fun!

Comment by Aprile on March 16, 2017 at 1:55pm
Thanks so much Bev! I'll give it a go :)
Comment by Bev Jeffery on March 16, 2017 at 12:55pm

Hi Aprile, not dumb at all....there are no dumb questions.  :))

Sharon Fennell. Christine Chiplen and many others whom I cannot think of, off the top of my head, have made beautiful blankets in one piece.....the size of 40" x 56".   Have fun.  :))

Comment by Aprile on March 16, 2017 at 12:29am
This might be a dumb question... instead of doing squares (I do plain janes) is it possible to crochet the entire blanket in one piece?

Members (158)

DONATE: KNIT-A-SQUARE

The Donate button provides 2 options:

1. One time donation
  2. Monthly subscription               [click the box]

Because of PayPal/banking fees, KAS asks that your donation be 5USD [or more].  Anything less, means your donation is eaten up with fees.  Thank you!

KAS FINANCES

Our goal is to remove the monthly deficit that Ronda and her team have to deal with. You can:

1. Make a donation whenever you are able.

2. Sign up for an ongoing monthly donation (subscription).

3. Shop at the KasShop!

Please follow this discussion for monthly updates, current financial reports and ideas on what we can all do to help. Click link : 

KAS FINANCES 2018

SHOP

NEW! Downloadable Artwork

VISIT THE KAS SHOP HERE

SQUARES LIST

The SEPTEMBER  2018 Squares List is available.

Please click HERE

2018 THEMES OF THE MONTH

Planning ahead??

See the 2018

LIST OF THEMES

AND

WHAT OUR CHILDREN NEED.

Notes

KAS PATTERN BOOK

Visit the KAS Pattern Book for free patterns in knit, crochet, loom and sewing. …

Continue

Created by Linda Maltby May 2, 2018 at 8:26am. Last updated by Linda Maltby Oct 14.

© 2018   Created by Sandy McDonald.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service