Square Circle Forum

Information

Loom a Square

A place for Loom Knitters to share their knowledge and creativity to benefit the children of South Africa.

Loom knitting has it's own pros and cons. Many special and unique methods of accomplishing what needle knitters do and so we need each other. I hope to meet many other loom knitters here but anyone is welcome.

PATTERN and VIDEOs are on the right side of the page, under the list of members.

Why We Knit

denise

Members: 36
Latest Activity: Mar 26

Loom Knit and Purl Squares

Discussion Forum

Shipping Your Squares - US or S. Africa

Started by LoomaHat. Last reply by LoomaHat Feb 14. 5 Replies

The cost of shipping within the US is not that much cheaper then shipping your squares directly to KAS in South Africa.But if you're not comfortable with international shipping, you live in the US…Continue

Tags: Shipping

Loom knit play balls

Started by Lucy Wallace. Last reply by Lucy Wallace Mar 20, 2015. 5 Replies

I made a ball after following the link on the LoomaHat (very good) website to http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/loomed-ball.html and I…Continue

Pattern for quick striped squares (round loom)

Started by Lucy Wallace. Last reply by P. Jeanne Haessler Feb 26, 2015. 1 Reply

As this month's theme is striped squares, here's a very quick way of doing them on a round loom.STRIPED 8 INCH SQUARES on a round loom[Note - re: finishing off the top and bottom edges, this pattern…Continue

Comment Wall

Comment

You need to be a member of Loom a Square to add comments!

Comment by P. Jeanne Haessler on March 22, 2015 at 8:01am

Denise I just wanted to pop in to say a quick thanks for that tip on slipping the first stitch to get a less rolling edge. It's working beautifully!  I know knitters who routinely slip their first stitch then make up the lost stitch somewhere in the row but the joy of loom knitting for me is that I don't have to add stitches, the stitch slipped on the previous row is still there when I get to the end of the row and work it into that row. :)  Much less worry for me that I will forget to add the slipped stitches as you must do in hand knitting to avoid going narrower. Oh I also tightened up that loose edge on the scarf as in your video...works like a charm! Thanks so much!

Comment by LoomaHat on March 22, 2015 at 1:52am

Hi Wilda,

So let me make sure I'm understanding you correcting, the problem is the length and not the width? First, remember that all worsted weight is not created equal. Baby yarn is a very light worsted weight and can mess up a basic pattern that doesn't call for baby yarn. That said if you use say a Red Heart brand of #4 worsted weight - here is a formula that has worked for me every-time (give or that a row or  two) it's 3 pegs is 1 inch of width and 4 rows is 1 inch of length. But on the last 4 rows measure first before you knit - sometimes you only need 1 or 2 more rows instead of 4 because when you bind off you add another row. Not to mention that as you knit the tension can fluctuate and make your rows longer or shorter. 

I've made many on the Red KK loom with 23 pegs and on an average I knit 30 rows This includes the edges. Click here is to see a few examples where a different number of rows was used : Click HERE. Try a small swatch say 9 pegs and 12 rows that should give you a 3 inch square. If it doesn't, let me know what you got and we'll work out a formula for you. 

I am planing on updating the Square Video but time just refuses to low down for me. 

Hope the helps some,

denise

Comment by Wilda on March 20, 2015 at 7:45am

Jeanne, I too use a tape measure or a ruler. And yes, when measured while still on the loom, I measured it down towards the bottom more so it wasn't stretched. But then when taken off the loom, it measured different, lol. 

What type yarn did you use,and how many pegs did you ewrap to start? I did one at 16 pegs then another one at 18 pegs, two strands light wt worsted. 

Comment by P. Jeanne Haessler on March 20, 2015 at 6:13am

Wilda I find length hard to guess myself. I end up using a tape measure a lot. If the squares aren't exactly 8" but over or under by 1/2 an inch or so, even a 9 incher sometimes, it's okay, they can still use the square. Wendy is excellent at sewing the unsquare squares together and I do mean wildly shaped ones. I found sometimes the square shrank in widthwise once I took it off the loom but pulling it gently made it wider again.  Don't know if that helps.

Comment by Wilda on March 20, 2015 at 4:11am

Another thing I wanted to post, is that I tried making the 8" square on the round red KK loom using the video on this site but for the life of me, I can't get it to be 8" and used two strands light worsted weight yarn. Each time it came out 7". I e-wrapped 17 pegs. I found out it was hard to judge the length also, both of them that I tried came out 9". Do you have any suggestions or is there a chart that gives a guideline how many pegs using the weights of yarn that are classified according to the weight numbers....i.e., #4, #5, etc. (?)  Thanks for your help.....Wilda

Comment by Wilda on March 20, 2015 at 4:07am

Gosh, I can't believe the price that the purple K.K. round loom is selling for online. I am so glad that I bought mine as soon as I found out about it a year or so ago. I purchased it at Joanne's. I got it right away when I found out about it then because the ad's said the pegs were closer and good for hats etc. If I remember , I only paid several dollars for it. 

Comment by P. Jeanne Haessler on March 20, 2015 at 3:14am

Just watched your video on the 4 knit stitches.  As described in books I've got but your video explains about how you get a totally different size from the different stitches and I didn't know that at all.  Eye opening....thanks!  (notes taken)

Comment by P. Jeanne Haessler on March 20, 2015 at 3:05am

Okay first time I went to the written description because I'm a fast reader and my back wouldn't sit through the video that day but this time I watched the whole scarf video and took notes.  Great way to even out the ends and no loose stitches, which did drive me crazy.  No more...banished!  Thanks.

Comment by P. Jeanne Haessler on March 20, 2015 at 2:27am

I found another purple Knifty up for sale for $59 on there.  Oh boy....

The books I ordered are already here and I had a super time going through them yesterday.  The one particularly shows how to do socks and is very informative about different stitches, clearly written by a good teaching expert.  

Then I watched a video about how to loom knit mittens, very enjoyable as it explained how to make a color change with a zig zag (or pointy ends) on it so the mitten tip is a different color.  My girls always want mittens so that gets filed in my brain somewhere.  Right now it's on with the navy scarves!

I tried doing the stockinette stitch on the loom but it went right for my shoulder again...I may try it with the other arm, see how that goes, but only for small projects. I am back to doing navy scarves with the e-stitch for now and it's going great.  I am puzzled by one thing.  The previous 5 scarves were done with Red Heart Super Saver, a worsted with some spring in it. Walmart ran out of it so I switched to Red Heart Comfort yarn and while it's also a worsted, the scarf is coming out with less tendency to curl on the edges....much less.  I am puzzled.  I don't think I'm doing anything different myself and wonder if the yarn itself is the cause? Any thoughts on that?

I am going to check out your scarf pattern video again, see what I can do with that too.  Hope your week goes well for you Diane!

love,

Jeanne

Comment by P. Jeanne Haessler on March 15, 2015 at 5:05am

Okay WHOA....that is crazy!  $99 for a Purple Knifty Knitter?!?  Did it have diamonds on it? Was it once owned by Martha Stewart?  Ohhhh myyyy. Well I'm glad I got my set for under $20, all 4 looms, at Walmart.

I just found 3 loom knitting books in my bookshelf that will compliment the two I just ordered. I went through those 3 marking all sorts of patterns good for KAS.

Yes, I have trouble with stitches, remembering patterns and so on. I find knitting works better than crochet but I'm slow at it, take my time. It took me ages to do 1 Grace Vest, months...and I get a navy scarf done in an evening.

I'm fast at crochet but I can't seem to do Granny Squares right to save my life...dyslexia or something, the sides never match up and I gave up on doing plastic canvas as a craft, I can never cut the plastic right, I try and try but always futz up.  

Thankfully I am very good at fixing spelling typos or you'd never read this, lol.(dyslexia) I am really coming to love the looms as they keep everything much more in order for me. I'm excited right now about starting another navy scarf and doing this one in the straight knitting stitch. I imagine it will be much thinner than the e wrap stitch ones I've done until now. But I am excited to try it out!

KNIT-A-SQUARE SOUTH AFRICA

DONATE DIRECTLY to

KNIT-A-SQUARE SA

Monthly donation:

Image result for please images

Please go directly to the Donate page HERE as the Subscribe button below is experiencing difficulties !

[To view other options, Click on Option 1]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One time donation:

FINANCIAL REPORT

Since the start of our appeal in March 2017 we have raised $17484.

This is really helping to give KAS financial stability

Thank you all !!!

Link : LATEST KAS FINANCIAL UPDATE 

SHOP

VISIT THE KAS SHOP

HERE

KAS MERCHANDISE

CLICK HERE

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK

here 

HELPFUL HINTS

New to the forum?

Please click on

HELPFUL HINTS tab

at the top of this  

page

HAVE A QUESTION?             

Please click here

SQUARES LIST

The April 2017 Squares List is available.

Please visit the website http://www.knit-a-square.com and click on "Received Squares"

© 2017   Created by Sandy McDonald.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service