Square Circle Forum

Information

Loom a Square

A place for Loom Knitters to share their knowledge and creativity to benefit the children of South Africa.

Loom knitting has it's own pros and cons. Many special and unique methods of accomplishing what needle knitters do and so we need each other. I hope to meet many other loom knitters here but anyone is welcome.

PATTERN and VIDEOs are on the right side of the page, under the list of members.

Why We Knit

denise

Members: 36
Latest Activity: Mar 26

Loom Knit and Purl Squares

Discussion Forum

Shipping Your Squares - US or S. Africa

Started by LoomaHat. Last reply by LoomaHat Feb 14. 5 Replies

The cost of shipping within the US is not that much cheaper then shipping your squares directly to KAS in South Africa.But if you're not comfortable with international shipping, you live in the US…Continue

Tags: Shipping

Loom knit play balls

Started by Lucy Wallace. Last reply by Lucy Wallace Mar 20, 2015. 5 Replies

I made a ball after following the link on the LoomaHat (very good) website to http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/loomed-ball.html and I…Continue

Pattern for quick striped squares (round loom)

Started by Lucy Wallace. Last reply by P. Jeanne Haessler Feb 26, 2015. 1 Reply

As this month's theme is striped squares, here's a very quick way of doing them on a round loom.STRIPED 8 INCH SQUARES on a round loom[Note - re: finishing off the top and bottom edges, this pattern…Continue

Comment Wall

Comment

You need to be a member of Loom a Square to add comments!

Comment by LoomaHat on March 15, 2015 at 4:46am

Thought this was interesting. The Purple Knifty Knitter Loom just sold for $99.95 in ONE DAY on Ebay ! Is this Crazy or What !

Comment by P. Jeanne Haessler on March 11, 2015 at 5:44am

That way to fix those loose loops on the edge...love that! What a great tip...I do wish you hadn't put up pictures of all those loom knitting books though...sigh. Now I am SO tempted! Okay now I blame you Denise! I just bought two loom knitting books, LOL!  I'll let you know what I get up to with them. 

Comment by LoomaHat on March 10, 2015 at 1:47pm

KAS is asking that we make Navy Blue scarves for their  Navy Blue Scarf Project To help get us loom knitters involved I designed an easy pattern and a video. Hope it helps !

Comment by LoomaHat on February 27, 2015 at 12:01am

Jeanne - I've never knitted with needles. I tried crochet and well failed is a nice way to put it - I have mild ADD - I seem to only be able to manage loom knitting. I think projects go very fast this way and with less frustration or anxiety. I can only speak for me.

About the colorful hook ... its the usual Knifty Knitter. I knitted a grip with my small Knifty Knitter Slim Jim out of Rainbow Loom rubber bands - but any small braiding bands will work. Made it more for comfort then aesthetics.  If your interested here is the link:  http://www.loomahat.com/how-to-make-a-grip-for-your-hook

Comment by P. Jeanne Haessler on February 26, 2015 at 3:06am

I thoroughly have enjoyed watching your Linen Stitch video.  That stitch is great for a skirt I am thinking or a very warm scarf not to mention a non gappy blanket square.  I'll give it a go perhaps with my next scarf, see how it turns out.  I love your colorful hook cover, what a fiesta, very cheerful!

Comment by P. Jeanne Haessler on February 26, 2015 at 2:56am

Looma I'm very impressed with your fancy stitches, I must try some sometime.  Right now I've made 4 navy scarves, all loom knit and I am in love with doing them this way.   I've been having trouble with arthritis in my left shoulder and with looming, holding the loom with my right arm, I have no problems. Apparently using the pick/hook with my left hand doesn't cause problems...yaaay!

I am willing to do a few more scarves. I don't know if loom knitting takes up more or less yarn than regular knitting. I know crochet takes more yarn than knitting.  What about looming?  Regardless I'm sticking with it, just curious.  

I mentioned in the Navy Scarf Project discussion thread that out of two balls of Red Heart Super Saver I got 3 1/3 scarves. I bought one more ball and am using the outside and inside threads on it to knit with two strands, as with the other scarves using two balls, and I think I'll get two scarves out of this ball alone.  It's very economical this way. I find the loom knitting makes a lighter product somehow and that helps when I mail them.  Anyways just dropping in to say HI!  It's like a -46 windchill, again, this morning, so it's a good day to do another scarf! 

Comment by LoomaHat on February 26, 2015 at 12:31am

Did You Know about The Navy Blue Scarf Project - Read this on my other group.....

Comment by Helen M. Flagg on Thursday

It seems every time the group hears from me we have a fundraiser in the offing! So, no, not this time!  I am posting to encourage all of us in the U.S. group to get involved with the Navy Scarf project.  This is a really important project for KAS and will benefit the cold school children.  The benefit KAS receives in having their mail picked up and delivered to the offices by the pharmaceutical company and in addition the monetary help in rent money are both real advantages for KAS.  In return, we need to get on board and support KAS by making and donating the navy scarves.  The directions on the Forum are really clear, whether knitted or crocheted.

If you are crocheting a navy scarf, I have discovered a time saver.  My good Canadian friend Anne Powell happened to mention in a KAS post related to the scarves that she is crocheting her scarves long-wise the length of the scarf.  I had just completed my first scarf and was crocheting side to side and had been grousing about having to turn each row.  I just began my second scarf, and aside from the monotony of chaining 43 inches, I am finding the going SO much easier and quicker to simply crochet the full length of the scarf and then turn. Anything that will save time is worth a go. 

Thank you so much to all of you for your participation and your caring about the children.  They need so much...........and we are blessed with so much to give.

Here is the link for those that want to get involved... please come back and post tips and hint if you've made a scarf :http://forum.knit-a-square.com/forum/topics/special-report-the-navy...

Comment by LoomaHat on February 2, 2015 at 12:10pm

I've been busy this weekend... Discovered I love a new loom... feel like I'm cheating on my Knifty Knitter. Created a new stitch pattern and it includes the pattern for an 8x8 square for my KAS loomys

For the link: Click HERE

Comment by LoomaHat on January 27, 2015 at 10:35pm

Is anyone doing the loom-a-long for the Great Afghan Project on Ravelry? The squares are really pretty !

Comment by LoomaHat on January 11, 2015 at 4:32am

Loose Loops are a problem.. I know... made a picture and video tutorial to fix that .

Click HERE

DONATE: KNIT-A-SQUARE

Monthly donation:

Payment Options

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One time donation:

FINANCIAL REPORT

Since the start of our appeal in March 2017 we have raised $29744.

This is really helping to give KAS financial stability

Thank you all !!!

Link : LATEST KAS FINANCIAL UPDATE 

SHOP

VISIT THE KAS SHOP

HERE

BUY 2 BAGS OF FRUIT

CLICK HERE

SQUARES LIST

The September 2017 Squares List is available. Please visit the website http://www.knit-a-square.com and click on "Received Squares"

HELPFUL HINTS

New to the forum?

Please click on

HELPFUL HINTS tab

at the top of this  

page

HAVE A QUESTION?             

Please click here

© 2017   Created by Sandy McDonald.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service