Square Circle Forum

By the sea, by the sea, by the beautiful sea

You and me, you and me, oh how happy we’ll be!

I am thrilled an honored to be leading my first challenge this month! It is no coincidence that I asked to host the Sea, Seashore & Shells challenge. For me there is nothing more peaceful and rejuvenating than being at the seashore. The sound of the waves, the smell of the salt water, the call of the seagulls, the warmth of the sand, it is simply my most favorite place in the world!

So what does the seashore evoke for you? The choices for squares are limitless!

Boats, lighthouses, sunrise and sunset over the water, beach balls and sand toys, kites, colored fish, sharks, whales, birds and more.

Please don't feel that you have to be an expert knitter or crocheter to show your squares here. Winter is on it's way to South Africa and the children need as many squares as we can send! Every challenge is just a fun way to keep our creative juices flowing. Best of all, all colors are found at the seashore, so any color Plane Jane will be perfect for this challenge!

Whatever sparks your creativity, please post photos of your squares here and on the photo page.

Mary Kristel Lokken and Gitta Seyfert are helping us record this challenge in two photo albums, Mary on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/58924216@N00/sets/72157633131080405/

And Gitta here on the forum

http://forum.knit-a-square.com/photo/album/show?id=3276523%3AAlbum%...

Many thanks Mary and Gitta!!

Just a reminder:  Please securely butterfly  a 20”/50 cm tail to each square, to help the sewers in South Africa.

I would love to know if you recognize the song I quoted. My mother used to sing it. Apparently it was written in 1914 and made into a Broadway play in 1954. This verse is the only one I know!

Views: 7515

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You may have read the sad news in the KasSnippets that one of our KAS members, Jan, passed away in February. Linda Maltby who features a pattern of the month from our KAS Pattern Book (among other things!) has chosen Jan's pattern for the month of April:

Jan B. was an active and supportive member of the forum. We are saddened by the loss of such a wonderfully creative woman.   Jan generously knit warm squares, cozy Cuddles and beautiful tops to provide comfort to the vulnerable and orphaned children.

We celebrate Jan’s contribution to KAS by featuring her

Block Stitch square pattern

as the

April Pattern of the Month

You can find the pattern here http://www.knit-a-square.com/support-files/knitted-square-block_sti...

I chose to start our April challenge off with Jan's square in a nautical color theme as my tribute to her.

I made the variation of the square that you can find on the second page of the pattern. I am absolutely addicted to this pattern! It is very easy, but gives a beautiful "must have been so hard" look! ;) Not to mention it has a lovely texture for the children.

I also wanted to mention the neat trick I learned from Rachel A. here on the forum. Rather than tie the butterfly to the square, you can fasten it with a plastic needle. It is faster and helps out the sewers in South Africa!

Beautiful square and a lovely tribute to Jan.  Thank you Laurie.

Laurie - this is a great square and I understand your addiction to Jan's pattern - it really is fun to do.  Now I'm off to my stash to see what colour combo's I can come up with.

I know you will come up with beautiful things, Anne!

Beautiful tribute to Jan, may she rest in peace.

Laurie, this is going to be a fun challenge !   I'm singing "By the sea" already and yes I know the rest of the song.  Mom used to sing it to me as well.  As a fan of the Mickey Mouse Club, I remember Mickey and Minnie 'by the sea'.

Here's the youtube link to the Mickey Mouse version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJhseCrVKZE

Linda, that is fabulous! Thanks so much for the link. I really never heard it sung before. I'm grinning from ear to ear!

I didn't submit any thing for the March challenge. I think the miserable weather here didn't do anything to inspire me. However, here are 2 squares for April. Willy the whale was on a hot water bottle cover. The cover was so flimsy as to be useless, but I fell in love with Willy and cut him out for future use. The April challenge has provided just that use.

Wow what  great  start Valerie !

Ditto to Sue's comment, Valerie....these are bright and cheery, just what a day by the sea means to me.

Such delightful squares !  So glad you saved the whale, he will make a child smile :-)

What a clever idea Valerie! These are both adorable squares and the children will love them!

RSS

NEWS FLASH !

April 15,2014

The March Squares List is now available on the website:

www.knit-a-square.com

Click on ‘Received Squares”

Graphs may be found here

SQUARE SHOP

Paper for a Creche
Give the children the chance to share their creativity by providing paper to draw and write with.   Click here

Donations

Make a monthly donation:

Or make a one-time donation:

KasBlog

Read the latest KasBlog from Andrea :

APRIL'S COLOUR COLLISION

Please click here

PATTERN REVISIONS !

A NOTE ABOUT OUR PATTERN REVISIONS AND WHY THEY ARE IMPORTANT

This photo shows some excellent vests with good body length and generous armholes.  We are recommending having armholes 1/3, side seam 2/3 of total body length. 

To read more go to : 

Pattern Revisions

© 2014   Created by Sandy McDonald.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service