Square Circle Forum

CURRENT FINANCIAL REPORT

Postal costs for incoming parcels has risen alarmingly since mid-April because of a new rule that ALL overseas parcels attract the customary handling fee and that has been increased to R51.50 PER PARCEL[$3.74USD].  In past years the fees were lower and graduated (ie. R24.00[$1.74USD] for a small parcel / R40[$2.91USD] for a large parcel) but that has been changed. 

In the past only around 20% of the incoming parcels attracted the levy, now ALL parcels are included in the calculation. So, for instance, in the past KAS would normally pay between R750[$54.52USD] and R1500[$109.03USD] for an incoming postal collection, this week Ronda paid R2200.00[$159.91USD]and on at least two occasions in late April and May she paid approximately R3500[$254USD].

It is unfair, but the postal authorities have spotted a lucrative gap in the system and they are completely unmoved by a charitable enterprise being penalized.  These are not customs tariffs, KAS never pays those - they send parcels back for re-assessment and they always come back free of customs.

The bank balance reduces monthly as costs to run KAS this year have risen[see graph] We are looking for ways to cut costs, but with PO charges going up, with fuel costs increasing dramatically in SA and generally prices rising across the board ... KAS needs your support

Our monthly donors continue to be the backbone of financial support

for Knit-a-Square. 

These monthly donations allow KAS to continue to serve the children of South Africa. 

Thanks to generous one-time donations and numerous purchases in the KAS Shop, the May total has surpassed our expectations.

However, Ronda is being hit with a charge for every parcel arriving at the moment - the postal services are trying to make a profit at our expense! We will need extra help financially until such time this issue can be resolved. The most effective method is a regular subscription as this develops a sense of growth and hitting a target more likely!

Views: 1178

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Very well explained! Although I'm a monthly donor I'll go give another small donation now.  Love, Jeanne xxxx

Have you ever tried to sew a blanket together? 

With this ONE dollar they have been receiving, they have made it stretch and stretch, but as we all know, a dollar doesn't go very far at all these days, and what you could buy with a dollar a few years back, you can no longer do.

The Chiawelo Gogos delivering their well-crafted and completed blankets to the KasVan

We appreciate and respect that everyone has differing financial situations/commitments.......we would never ask more of you, than you are willing or able to give. If you would care to visit our

KAS SHOP

you will notice that we have three different giving options under

"Wrap a Child in a Blanket"

Mothers Day falls in May for many countries around the world, including South Africa. Please join us in giving our Gogos a small thank you for their tireless efforts in sewing our squares into beautiful blankets.

The Gogos.......Always a smile on their face and so proud of their work, what should we be without them, joining our squares into beautiful and warm blankets for the children, their hands seldom rest....increase of a stipend should be so well-deserved....I will absolutely not forget them on Mothers Day....so great that the KAS Shop is 24/7 OPEN!

oh yes I do think the Gogo's should receive a tiny raise!

Thanks Mary, Ronda will do her best to stretch the donations to ensure the Gogos receive their well-earned stipend. 

Thanks Anneke for your kind words of support for the Gogos - these wonderful groups of ladies (and a few gentlemen) are our co-team-workers - without them, the number of blankets available would be limited!

The GoGos are a true blessing.  

I heartily agree that their stipend should be increased.  

I only wish it could be much more, but (sadly) it seems that the monthly donations are down so far this year, and it can only go up this little bit.

Thanks Sharon for your support, donations do fluctuate from time-to-time, but KAS supporters are so generous with the time, effort and care - these 'donations' are just as important.

Added "5 blankets a month" worth. You are "my" cause. Because shipping from the US is so costly, I thought I could be more useful sending money. Donating my physical objects closer to home. Hugs to you all for your amazing work.

Thanks so much Carol, I too prefer to help with costs - partly because my crochet output has been nil since December when the left-wrist collided with an icy pavement, but at least I had a soft landing in the shrubs next to it! Your support and being the 'chosen' cause will be much appreciated by Ronda and the Team.

Carol, what an excellent idea !  A wonderful way to support Knit-a-Square. As you know, there are many costs involved in distributing the lovely blankets, etc to the children. 

RSS

DONATE: KNIT-A-SQUARE

Monthly donation:

Click on box to change options

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One time donation:

FINANCIAL REPORT

Postal costs for incoming parcels has risen alarmingly since mid-April
because of a new rule that ALL overseas parcels attract the customary
handling fee and that has been increased to R51.50 PER PARCEL[$3.74USD].  

See how you may help!

Stipend for Thomas Appeal

SQUARES LIST

The MAY  2018 Squares List is available.

HERE

2018 THEMES OF THE MONTH

Planning ahead??

See the 2018

LIST OF THEMES

AND

WHAT OUR CHILDREN NEED.

Notes

KAS PATTERN BOOK

Visit the KAS Pattern Book for free patterns in knit, crochet, loom and sewing. 

Created by Linda Maltby May 2, 2018 at 8:26am. Last updated by Linda Maltby Jun 5.

© 2018   Created by Sandy McDonald.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service