Square Circle Forum

KAS SNIPPETS                     JULY 2016

<><><> THE KAS SHOP <><><>

First, we have the South African Nature Series Set One

Second, South African Nature Series Set Two

And third, our delightful Flower Series

These sets of six unique all-purpose cards are available

as a digital product which will be e-mailed to you shortly after purchase.

For only $7 USD, you can print unlimited copies!

The KAS Shop to order your cards.

<><><><><><><><><><>

A DISTRIBUTION TO SWANEVILLE

Noah's crèche in Swaneville is hidden away in a remote corner of nowhere, in fact it is nothing short of a miracle that we actually managed to find it at all, the instructions via Lindi's cellphone were SO nonsensical !!

Continue reading ...

<><><><><><><><><><><>

OUR JULY THEME

OPPOSITES ATTRACT

IS BEING HOSTED BY

ANNEKE (Netherlands)

Anneke has encouraged us to upend our yarn baskets to discover what treasures lay hidden at the bottom.

Color, color, and more color!!!

Click [here] to join the July theme already in progress!

<><><><><><><><><><>

<><><><><><><><><><>

THE MAY SQUARES LIST IS AVAILABLE

Please visit the website: www.knit-a-square.com. click on: "Received Squares"

For May the numbers are lower than April, though they are still impressive. Hat numbers are becoming more in line with the "one hat to one blanket" needed.

Received: 12,822 squares (366 blankets), 493 Hats, 402 Pairs of handwarmers, 117 Toys.

A big thank you to the SA Team for all the work you do!

<><><><><><><><><><>

It seems that some of you may be thinking that our mailing address is changing.  We would like to assure you that it is not!

Please continue to mail your packages to:

Mailing information and our revised packing slip can be found HERE

<><><><><><><><><><><>

BLANKET ROOM COLLECTION

If you're hoping to spot some of your handwork,

have a look through the gorgeous collection of assembled blankets in

The Blanket Room

New photos are added often!

<><><><><><><><><><>

TOYS TO CUDDLE - TOYS TO LOVE

Ronda informs us that she is out of toys!

Can you help?

<><><><><><><><><><>

AUGUST PATTERN OF THE MONTH

Knitted Teddy Bear

Pattern by Roz Goodwin (UK)

Roz’s first teddy

Children in South Africa have very few, if any, play things.  This teddy will be a wonderful companion for a lonely child.  It will provide many hours of comfort and imaginative play. Teddy’s height is approximately 30 cm/12 in. Teddy Bear pattern can be found here.

Two more of Roz’s teddy bears

Teddies made by Louise Tidman & Jude Sullivan (UK)

This pattern written by Roz was recently added to the KAS Pattern Book. It would be amazing if teddy bears could be made and sent to KAS SA in August so they would then arrive in time for Christmas.  What an amazing gift that would be for a KAS child to receive!

Visit The KAS Pattern Book where other patterns are available.  Please try as many as you like.

<><><><><><><><><><>

<><><><><><><><><><>

The 

SQUARE HEART AWARD

is awarded to those KASers who truly show their heart by their ongoing actions.

THE JULY 2016 SQUARE HEART AWARD GOES TO

RIVER JOHN SQUARE KNITTERS

and

STELLAR KNITTERS

from

NOVA SCOTIA, CANADA!

Click [here] to find out how these two groups are

working away in their own little corner of the world

to help the children of South Africa!

<><><><><><><><><><>

And last, but not least ...

Two heart wrenching stories have appeared on our Facebook page. One was the story about Swaneville which appeared July 8 and the other, the story about Lizzie which appeared July 12.

These stories have the effect of making us all want to help in some way but in an email, Ronda said: "I feel frustration and sadness myself seeing the difficulties of SA women like her at first hand, but we need to discourage ideas of sending her money directly.

Firstly there IS government infrastructure to deal with these cases – even though most of them seem unable to obtain that help, it is the government’s responsibility to come on board and where people fund privately (which local people from the private sector DO from time to time) it can cause more problems than help. We have seen cases where there is jealousy and estrangement between neighbours, even families, because private entities interfere.

Giving blankets is one thing, but if you are going to refurbish a crèche, you have to get involved in the whole area in which it is situated.

The scale of the population needing assistance is a vast problem, all we CAN do is find one area and target that which is what KAS is doing. Diversification is not on.

FUNDING : we simply cannot afford to divert KAS PayPal funds, at the moment funds are only about covering 30% of our current needs - we have always tried to keep a 'buffer' sum in place, but this has been eroded these past 4-5 months."

It is absolutely vital that over the next several months we focus our efforts on KAS SA alone in order to continue our mandate of warming children. As much as we would all like to, we cannot, as a group, solve every problem for the reasons Ronda has explained above.

We would like to encourage everyone who is reading this edition of KAS Snippets to focus on 'the big four': squares, hats, hand-warmers and soft toys.

Even more importantly, we would encourage any of you who can, to support KAS SA financially by making a financial donation through our Paypal button - either a one-time donation or by signing up for an ongoing monthly donation (even if it is just a small amount like $5).

Another way to help Ronda keep going is to visit the KAS shop and make a purchase. The shop is full of wonderful items - some for your personal use like our note card series, others which impact the day-to-day operations of KAS SA.  It doesn't matter which item you choose - EVERY purchase helps us to carry on our vital work.

<><><><><><><><><><>

the KAS Shop

Views: 894

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Glo, thanks for an informative Snippets. 

We need to support Ronda financially as well as with squares, etc.  She needs money to put fuel in the KASvan, pay the rent and cover the other incidentals that occur with a distribution.

Purchasing from the Shop will give Ronda much needed cash and, if buying the notecards, people will be promoting Knit-a-Square when they use the cards.

A small monthly donation would be so helpful. Ronda will be able to plan for future distributions/rent payments, knowing that amount will arrive each month.

I am delighted to say that in searching for yarn, as Anneke I see requested, I found enough completed items to send to South Africa. I hope to make up a parcel and get it out of the country before any Canadian Postal Strike occurs.  It's all hats, toys and squares except one vest which I'm sure will find a home too.  Do you know if Ronda still wants mainly completed blankets or can we just send squares?  I've never gotten enough squares together at one time to do a blanket and I hope just sending squares is alright?  I have spoken to some members who have been sending cash when they can instead of squares as they feel only completed blankets are wanted.  Perhaps we can clarify the current situation somewhat?  Thanks in advance!

love, Jeanne xxx

p.s. I just paid a half days rent in the KAS shop. This isn't said to blow my own horn but to encourage others to give what they can.  Even $5 makes a difference, I just happen to have that much available right now. :) I must save the rest to mail my package!!!

p.p.s. I admit I do wish they hadn't asked for toys(just kidding), lol, as I am right rubbish at embroidering faces on them.  You should have seen me yesterday redoing one eye on a teddy about 6 times!  Don't want to scare the child after all, lol.

Jeanne, Ronda is happy to receive either completed blankets OR squares for the Gogos to stitch together.  She says to just send whatever you are most comfortable sending.

And I know that all cash donations are needed and most welcome!!

thanks for the reminder - I have gone and made a donation. I know that its most important in this season when so many blanket distributions are being done being the SA winter!  Its good to be reminded that donating to a charity of good cause must be done with care least it causes more harm. I have been trying to find other programmes in SA who deal with the issue of oprhans so I can donate to them as well. Any pointers gratefully recieved!

And must remember to get more toys! My mother was apparently stuffing a teddy last night but I think more will be needed!

Yes, I must go haunt our local thrift stores and see what nearly new stuffed toys I can find. I even find brand new ones on occasion.  It's amazing how many look like new or just need a little scrub up.  It doesn't hurt to keep an eye on bins at Walmart and other stores, where holiday toys get discounted, like after Valentine's Day or Easter, or Christmas etc. Yaaay for treasure hunting, I get such a buzz when I find good toys! Best haul I ever made was at a local school that was having a "garage sale"...they had tables of unwanted stuffed animals.  I wish they'd do that again!

Hear hear Jeanne, I just bought $5 worth of fuel for the KAS van, every little bit helps.....Roz x

Thank you.

Well done Glo, another sparkling edition of KasSnippets!

This month's edition is bright, informative and fabulous, Glo. Thank you for 'having a bit of fun' with the presentation....it certainly grabbed MY attention.  :))

Gloria I'm not much good with electronic stuff so I must ask.  If I buy a series or two of those African wildlife or flower cards can I just download them onto one of those data stick thingies and take it to our local print shop to get them printed off? It seems easier to me if I can do that. :) And it gives them business besides.

Hi Jeanne. Hope you don't mind me chiming in! I'm not great with technology either, but your description is  absolutely right, it is what I have done, although I haven't yet gone to the printers. Envelopes are a standard size and cheap to buy. I think this is a great way to financially support KAS SA and we get to send gorgeous cards to recipients who I feel sure will appreciate them........and perhaps learn a bit about KAS SA too :))

RSS

KNIT-A-SQUARE SOUTH AFRICA

DONATE DIRECTLY to

KNIT-A-SQUARE SA

Monthly donation:

Image result for please images

Please go directly to the Donate page HERE as the Subscribe button below is experiencing difficulties !

[To view other options, Click on Option 1]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One time donation:

FINANCIAL REPORT

KAS now has 104 regular monthly subscriptions.

A regular monthly income helps to give KAS financial stability.

Thank you all !!!

Link : LATEST KAS FINANCIAL UPDATE 

SHOP

VISIT THE KAS SHOP

HERE

SUPPORT THE GOGOS

CLICK HERE

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK

here 

HELPFUL HINTS

New to the forum?

Please click on

HELPFUL HINTS tab

at the top of this  

page

HAVE A QUESTION?             

Please click here

SQUARES LIST

The March 2017 Squares List is available.

Please visit the website http://www.knit-a-square.com and click on "Received Squares"

© 2017   Created by Sandy McDonald.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service