Square Circle Forum

Ronda and Wendy have been producing quite a catalogue of photographs from the recent distributions, rather than post them a few at a time, it was decided to create a discussion page where they could be displayed more speedily so that members might be able to spot their squares, garments or hats earlier!  Spotting one of our own creations in Africa really does spur as on to even greater creativity!

Here is one of the gorgeous children in a
'before' and 'after' photo!

Often one reads comments from members wishing they could do more, but the only thing we have to do, is exactly the amount of goodness that each of us has available from looking after our families etc.,  EVERY SQUARE  is so very valuable, and it does make a difference. KAS members have contributed an astonishing number of squares during the last 4 and half years - added together, we have brought comfort and warmth to thousands upon thousands of deprived, vulnerable, and, sadly often unwell children.  Below is a quote from one of the loveliest Africans to grace that continent - Bishop Desmond Tutu which really summarises everything the KAS Band of Sisters & Brothers do, day in day out, freely and without thought of self!  We knit & crochet to support these children totally unconditionally.

Views: 14986

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

My guess is that cuddlies would have been distributed, but neither Ronda or Wendy were able to attend - they are camera happy and snap away!  KAS did 3 distributions that day as our commitment to Mandela Day!

Good to hear Pam! I've been not so good about finding toys apart from keeping my mom knitting teddies!

I'm using a wonderful lot of neon colours for blankets which is a wool/acrylic mix very soft and I'm encouraged to finish 35 squares am about half way through as I can see the very real need.

This really does all look very stark and bare compared to some of the other creches we see on the distribution pages. What a long way there is to go..........

Oh my, Anne, you said it all ... there is a long way to go, still.   

And I see the sign that says "24 hrs", so I guess that some of these children are actually living there full time???    At least they have a roof over their heads.

There is that one little piece of educational art on the wall, so I think the caregivers are trying their best, but just don't have much to work with.  That says to me that the more color and texture and pattern we can add to the blanket squares, the better they are for stimulating the children.  The caregivers can use the blankets to teach from.

Thank You, Pam, and all the South African volunteers for taking and posting the pictures so we can begin to understand the value of our little contributions.

Somebody has a beautiful sheep square on their blanket. The children seem to be adequately dressed anyhow. I noticed the 24 hours as well and wondered if some children overnight there. You can imagine that perhaps some caregivers do night work and have to leave children somewhere.   I am sure the SA team keep their eye on the most needy crèches and plan extra visits and goodies when they can.

Way to go Mary! 35 squares is an entire blanket full of warmth and cheer for a lucky child.  I am so encouraged to see these bright neon colors coming into fashion right now.  They are so cheerful and full of energy just from their colors, perfect for blankets and hats.  35 squares...I doff my hat in respect girl, that's awesome!

That little one completely swamped in a blanket and overwhelmed it seems (photo 9) is my favorite though I'd love to hug all those children, bring them some hot food like soup and some toys....no wonder our dear American group is determined to help Nancefield Creche eh?  I'm not sure we Canadians have enough members to similarly adopt a creche but I am so warmed by the thought that very soon at least one creche will be given tables and chairs.  The warmth of the caregivers in these creches, their abundantly overflowing hearts is a humbling and thrilling thing to see.

thanks Jeanne I think I should scount around the house and just send off all the non matched squares first!  I have sat to make a trip to the post office.

So many items sent for the children. So many volunteers hard at work. It's wonderful to see all the smiling faces!

These photographs are from a distribution earlier this year at a school in Diepsloot : 

It's a well run school, fully sponsored by a company called Metmar Trading... but the children themselves do come from a very poor part of Diepsloot.

Several of our US volunteers were also volunteering once a week at Akani, teaching art, coaching maths, serving the school in other ways and Lesley (who is still with us from the States) was one of them so she introduced us and we took along a large supply of items.  We couldn't get around the whole school (which has pre-schoolers up to grade 4 or 5) - but hope to send more items before next winter.

The headmaster is a man called "Daddy" - a loving, friendly man who couldn't have been more welcoming and pleasant. 

Lovely photos, it's so nice to be even a little tiny part of it. Roz x

WOW!  Such a blessing to see these happy faces.  

They are all dressed up in sweaters, so it must have been cold this day.

My eyes just dance over all the children's happy faces, beautiful wide eyes and all the squares and hats.  What a true feast to look at all this and it's so encouraging to me to keep going, to keep mailing our bits of love. :)

RSS

NEWS FLASH !

COURIER SERVICES

Here is an outline of what the team are dealing with in regard to courier services.

Please click here for Courier Services discussion

Donations

Make a monthly donation:

Or make a one-time donation:

SQUARE SHOP

Send                               Season's Greetings"                         with  a                            KAS Christmas card.

Click Here.

christmascards

PATTERN REVISIONS !

A NOTE ABOUT OUR PATTERN REVISIONS AND WHY THEY ARE IMPORTANT

This photo shows some excellent vests with good body length and generous armholes.  We are recommending having armholes 1/3, side seam 2/3 of total body length. 

To read more go to : 

Pattern Revisions

KasBlog

Read the latest KasBlog from Andrea :

THE KNIT(-A-SQUARE) RETREAT

Please click here

Ronda on the Radio!

20th June 2014

LISTEN TO RONDA !

Ronda was interviewed live on Radio Veritas at 08h30 on 20th. Tune in to 576MW or DSTV channel 870

Direct Link

click on the sound symbol on the left side of moving grey line!

© 2014   Created by Sandy McDonald.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service