All children are fascinated by things that “GO” - so with this in mind, our theme for the February Challenge is TRANSPORTATION.

As always, our greatest need is for great piles of plain janes - so this challenge is for you plain jane knitters too.

What colour is transportation??

Well - think blues for sky and sea, greens and browns for earth and go wild with red and yellow for buses, every colour for cars and boats... and maybe some metallic accents to represent planes and spaceships. Remember that for every fancy square we get, we would like 34 plain ones to complete a blanket - so pile on the PJ’s for this challenge.

What is TRANSPORTATION?? It’s planes, trains, boats, buses, trucks and automobiles of course.

But there are many other ways of being in motion - wagons, bikes, scooters, hot-air balloons. roller skates, skis, sleds, horses and even sneakers (not as fast, but they do get you where you’re going!)

Does this sound difficult?? - It isn't really - think simple shapes, the way a child would draw them, because that's who we are making them for and they will identify with simple pictures.

Some slip-ins that go with this challenge, which might be appreciated in the creches could include transportation-theme stickers, picture books (purchased or homemade), toy cars, trucks etc if you can find them in a thrift shop

Please post photos of your creations here in this discussion as well as in the Photo section so that we can all enjoy them!

A big thank you to Mary Lokken for setting up a flickr page for this challenge so we, and the whole world, can see what we accomplish this month.  Be sure to visit

http://www.flickr.com/photos/58924216@N00/sets/72157632660242306/wi...

And another thank you to Gitta Seyfert, who has opened an Album for the February Challenge at

http://forum.knit-a-square.com/photo/albums/february-2013-challenge-transportation

OK - that’s it - Ready - Set - GO!!!

PS - just a little reminder to all our square-makers - please leave a 20" (50 cm) tail for sewing up and butterfly to make life easier for the SA team. Instructions for how to butterfly are on every square pattern in our Pattern Book

You need to be a member of Square Circle Forum to add comments!

Join Square Circle Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• February Challenge - Transport

Oops someone wasn't listening to the air traffic controller....almost a mid-air collision.

• February Challenge - Transport

Hot air balloon Mark II. I created one on a knitting chart that looked fine, but when I had sewn about half of it on (according to my chart) to my square I realised it was going to look like a flying saucer with a basket underneath...lol, so I undid it all and just did it without a chart....hopefully it looks a little better. Well finally I just have to sew one more motif on a square that I knitted this morning...but I best cook tea instead or some people won't be happy...lol.

• February Challenge - Transportation 

• Hi all, I did one transport square, but haven't sent it yet due to the strike (I think it's still on...).  I'll send it as soon as possible.  This horse is my first attempt at Fair Isle knitting.

2886726063?profile=original

...and the back is not too bad, just the way Fair Isle is...

2965031301?profile=original

I LOVE all the transport knitting and crocheting I have seen in this discussion.  Great work!!!

My rocket-inspired squares. Top centre square- 1 strand black, 1 strand bronzy/gold fun fur Bottom centre- 1 strand grey, 1 strand silver lurex Other two are a sew on rocket and star ....and my attempt at a rocket taking off..hee hee. Took the photo outside on material, but it is so windy, due to the cyclone further north that the material kept blowing about as fast as I tried to smooth it down. :))

• Here are a 4 x 4 with collie dog, a quad with a horse, a bull dozer with mud, a pick-up with silage [or haylage] and a stacker truck with a barn full of silage [or haylage].  My bloke Terry, a country boy at heart, tells me that silage and haylage are "very different"!  "Oh really?" I say.  I don't know how to spell haylage as it isn't in the dictionary,  "It's a modern concept", he says. "Oh really", I say again.  He also said that some small boy is going to be delighted with 'this blanket', which makes me ask should I split them up into different bundles of ten, or keep them together?2886712690?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024  Can anyone advise me?  Oh and I guess you can tell how much I enjoyed making these squares.....Roz x

Fire engine inspired squares.Camera is at it again...these squares are actually BRIGHT red and yellow. :(

• Am posting this picture on Joan Anthony's behalf - for the Transportation Challenge, a bus queue!!

2965031873?profile=RESIZE_480x480

• 2965031844?profile=original

2965031847?profile=original

2965031938?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

I am about to post my contributuion to the February challenge and I appreciated Anne's tips for Plain Jane knitters amongst us. I was thinking about red London buses and yellow American school buses here, plus  the striped square was inspired by a red and black tractor. For the two crochet squares I was thinking of traffic lights (black, red yellow & green) and patriotic travel by British Airways i.e. red, white and blue.  Fun to do - so thank you, Anne.

This reply was deleted.