MISSION SUNDAY AT KIDZONE

I was asked to do a presentation about KAS, on February 24, to our Sunday School.( Children aged five to 11) YIKES! - that’s hardly my forte.

We had about 45 children (thankfully it was the last day of Winter Break, so lots of families were away)......

I started with a very brief lesson based on Mathew 25:40 (Whatever you did for the least of these brothers of mine you did for Me) and the kids actually paid attention. Then I followed up with a story I had written about KAS, roughly titled “Ronda Lowrie and God’s GREAT IDEA”.... and they paid attention again!! Miracle???

I taught the kids some words in Zulu (I hope speakers of this language will be understanding when I tell you I just got these words from an Internet dictionary). Gogo, of course, Sawubona (Hello), isonto (church) mbube (lion - for a game we played), and isinkwa (bread - for the snack we served)

Fifteen minutes of quiet is about all these busy little folk can handle, so we moved on to a “try-on” session - Hex. Sweaters, hats, scarves and cuddly toys.

Perhaps the kids’ favourite thing was planning blankets. I divided them into 4 teams, gave each team a bag of 35 squares which they laid out and arranged, and then all the teams visited the other blankets to admire them. The kids really loved seeing the squares and handling them.

The isinkwa got mixed reactions (I had read that a favourite SA snack is cornbread) - some loved it, others, not so much.

Everyone left wearing a KAS bracelet to remind them to tell their parents about us (just an elastic with a little felt square and a KAS business card.)

GOGO ANNE went home and had a very large cup of strong coffee and two aspirin!!

You need to be a member of Square Circle Forum to add comments!

Join Square Circle Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• How really interesting. You have such good ideas for stimulating these children's interest. were you the only adult there?

Your idea of getting them to lay out a blanket is a stroke of genius.

I take my hat off to you.

XXX

• Gogo Anne, you rock! Kudos for a job well done.

• Dear Anne,

What a wonderful experience - for the children and for you.  I was just glued to my screen reading the program that you had set out.  Just loved it.  You've just got yourself a new moniker - Go Go Anne!  What a great disciple you are.

• Anne the Brave, I say.....fancy taking on a room of 45 children of that age range.How organised and passionate about your subject you were and this showed in the level of enjoyment and involvement displayed by the children. Way to go, Anne!!! 

• Such wonderful ways to get the children involved.  This age range definitely need "hands on" activities !   Sending them home with a bracelet is an excellent prompt for the children.

• Fantastic ! The kids obviously loved it !

• Thank you Anne for this wonderful example of spreading-the-word.  Love the pics, and, getting the children to plan blankets was inspired! 

Your certainly deserved a strong coffee, and hopefully, the aspirin did the trick!

Well done, you certainly went the extra mile for KAS!

This reply was deleted.