July is always a special month in South Africa.

Nelson Mandela, an anti-apartheid revolutionary and politician, served as President of South Africa from 1994 to 1999, the first black South African to hold the office. Mandela spent 27 years in jail for his anti-apartheid activities, finally being released in 1990.  He was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1993.He is held in deep respect within South Africa as the "Father of the Nation" and is often known under his Xhosa clan name of Madiba

Mandela Day, July 18, the day of his birthday, has become an international day of recognition this great man.

Madiba said “it is an occasion when each of us takes a step, through some act of community, to realize the power in us to change the world”

Around the world, people recognize Mandela day by devoting 67 minutes of their time – one minute for every year of Mr. Mandela’s public service – by making a small gesture of solidarity with humanity and a step towards a global movement for good.

KAS in South Africa will be having a special event to mark this day. Here on the forum, we could do it by devoting 67 minutes to making a square, posting it here, and naming our country.  Wendy will be registering both events on the Mandela Day website.

As we honour Mandela this day, you might want to choose symbols of peace, love or freedom for your Mandela Day squares….. or rainbow colours to represent The Rainbow Nation of South Africa.

Africa is such a colourful continent that it offers lots of scope for wonderful squares.  I hope our Plain Jane square-makers will bombard us with squares in a riot of colours - You might want to use the S.A. flag for inspiration - green, blue, red, yellow, black and white

Some folks might want to use the marvellous South African fabrics for ideas.

Some of you creative souls will want to try special squares featuring the wildlife or African flowers.  Remember - these are for children, so simple childlike shapes are perfect.

I hope everyone will have fun with this challenge – I know the children will enjoy these squares because they will identify with the African themes.

Please remember to record the squares you make in THE DRIVE TO FILL RONDA’S KASVAN at http://forum.knit-a-square.com/forum/topics/the-drive-to-fill-ronda-s-kasvan

Once again, our Gitta has stepped up and offered to create an album for this Challenge.  You can find it at

http://forum.knit-a-square.com/photo/albums/july-2013-challenge-a-c...  (Let's keep her really busy and try to fill TWO!

Laurie Fortier has created us a Pinterest page - don't miss it!

http://pinterest.com/forstew/july-2013-challenge-a-celebration-of-africa-and-th/pins/).

You need to be a member of Square Circle Forum to add comments!

Join Square Circle Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Mary Anne Fellows was away for part of this Challelnge and has just posted her Mandela Day squares in Photos.

Here they are

In honor of Mandela

• I'm adding this here for the July challenge.  The colors are beautiful African sunset pinks ... me thinks ... :)

2886723941?profile=RESIZE_320x320

• Hi all, This month has been crazy at home.  I did quite a few squares, but still in Christmas colors.  Here are  two that kind of look more like this month's challenge.  Tomorrow I'll be packing up a bunch to send.

Front and back, double knit with black and white -- hey, it's kind of zebra-y!!...in an artsy sort of way!...

2930220001?profile=original

2930220047?profile=originalBack and front of the new stitch I found.  I really like it!  3 colors and very easy to do.  (Front is on right, but I don't have time to fix. ) Tomorrow is packing day for a bunch of Christmas squares and these, plus slip-ins!

2965064545?profile=original

2930220082?profile=original

• I got so excited by all the wonderful squares and Pinterest boards, that I almost forgot to say Thank You to Anne for a wonderful month celebrating Africa and Nelson Mandela.  Your animal squares with their matching toys were such inspiration, and the leopard slippers looked cozy, too.  Thank you for all you do for KAS.

I gave myself an extra little challenge this month, trying to make 67squares to honor Mandela's 67 years of service to his country, and I did it.  Whew!  here's the proof...  

2965063688?profile=original Trying to photograph it was almost as much a challenge as the knitting/crocheting.

• 2886722945?profile=originalI was packing up this month's squares for posting when I discovered this little elephant hiding in the pile.  He's obviously related to the green elephant I posted earlier this month, but must be a little more shy!

• This beautiful square for the July challenge was made by Danielle. She posted it on the Facebook page.

2965062135?profile=original

• I had planned this fellow for a different square, but when I saw how cute Ilse's  turtle looked on the beach, I decided to make a "beach" square for my little guy.  He sat patiently and quietly by while I made his new square.  So here is my Rainbow Turtle on the beach at sunset, looking for his friend.  I just hope they're on the same beach  ...  LOL

2886724821?profile=RESIZE_320x320

• 2886722000?profile=originalThis hare hiding in long grass is my last square for this challenge.  Thank you for hosting it, Anne.  It has been a super challenge.

• My contribution to the elephant herd:

2930220019?profile=original

• 2886722166?profile=originalSpringbok.  This July challenge has been so exciting.  I'm now panicking at all the things I still want to do and how few days are left!   It has been so amazing to see the wonderful ideas and creations that everyone has posted and to get the tips on new techniques so many of you have shared. I am thinking about the children who receive the blankets and the clothing and hope each child can feel some of the love and care for him or her that lies behind each article made.

This reply was deleted.