Square Circle Forum

JANUARY CHALLENGE - LONG SLEEVED GARMENTS and

SQUARES, SQUARES, SQUARES   

Knit-a-Square has declared 2014

THE YEAR OF THE SQUARE

Always our top priority is to provide blankets, blankets and more blankets!

We have set ourselves a lofty goal with our ongoing challenge REACHING THE HEIGHTS FOR THE CHILDREN. Please help us reach the top of Table Mountain in Cape Town, South Africa by adding your squares to the tally here      

JANUARY (to April) CHALLENGE - LONG SLEEVED GARMENTS

In addition to blankets, there is a real need this year for long sleeved garments for the children.  Because these garments take longer to make, and because anything mailed by April 30 will be sure to reach South Africa in time for the next cold season, this challenge will remain open for four months.  your garments do NOT have to be made by the end of January, so please keep making and posting them here even when the next challenges start.

You will find several KAS designed and approved patterns in the Pattern Book here.

These are boxy sweaters, knitted or crocheted, with very generous armholes, so that children can wear them as an outer garment over their

other clothes

We also welcome sweaters made from commercial patterns, but would greatly appreciate roomy raglan sleeves and stretchy neck openings to accomodate layering of clothing underneath. Jumpers made by Sylvia (Wendy's Mom), are good examples.

PLEASE NOTE - MOST OF THE GARMENT PATTERNS IN THE PATTERN BOOK HAVE BEEN REVISED  . WE HAVE ADJUSTED THE PATTERNS TO PROVIDE BETTER FITTING NECK OPENINGS, LONGER SLEEVES AND LONGER BODY LENGTH.

PLEASE PRINT OFF THE NEW PATTERNS BEFORE MAKING YOUR GARMENTS.

SPECIAL NOTE - Some of us know knitters who make garments for us who are not on the Forum and may be working from the unrevised patterns. If you know someone like this, would you please help us 'spread the word' by providing them with a copy of the REVISED patterns

KAS GO-VER - a pattern for people who have never made a garment, or just like making squares, either knitted or crocheted. It is so easy, anyone can make it, and is roomy enough to fit over other clothing. Pattern for Knitted version here    Crochet version is   here

KATHY'S COSY JUMPER - a wonderful roomy knitted sweater, slightly more advanced , but still very simple. Pattern is here

CHAIN STITCH HEXAGON SWEATER - slightly more advanced, but still simple crocheted garment.  Fun to make! Pattern is   here

STRIPES AND TRIANGLES GO-OVER - for slightly more advanced crocheters, thisG-O is not only beautiful, it fits extremey well. Pattern can be found  here

HEATHER'S WINTER WARMER - a very pretty knitted sweater with roomy raglan sleeves. - slightly tighter fit, but wonderful for under Go-Overs or light jackets. Pattern is  here

KASCUDDLES - always welcome and in demand.  This is our version of a baby sleep sack (it can be knitted or crocheted)  which should fit a child up to the age of 9 months. Since many of our little ones sleep on the floor, the KASCUDDLE is more effective than a baby blanket which can be kicked off.  It is also useful for during the day on cold winter days. Knitted version here   Crochet version here

The Pinterest page for this challenge can be found at

http://www.pinterest.com/anne1464/long-sleeved-sweaters-knit-a-squa...

Our JANUARY CHALLENGE PHOTO ALBUM  can be found at

http://forum.knit-a-square.com/photo/albums/january-2014-long-sleev...

ALBUM # 2 can be found at

http://forum.knit-a-square.com/photo/albums/album-2-january-to-apri...

Views: 16020

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

I'll start us off with this crocheted Go-Over in variegated and turquoise.  This was made using the REVISED pattern in the pattern book.  As mentioned above, we have revised most of the garment patterns - please be sure to print off the new versions before starting your garments.

Here is the revised version of the crocheted Hexagon sweater.  Note the longer sleeve and body length to keep a child warmer and cosier.  The neck is also tightened up a wee bit. I always add a button and if possible a turtleneck tee. [Although I haven't used up the great bargains I found at the end of last season, I wish I'd bought more !]

The yarn is 50% wool for added warmth.

January 2014 Challenge

Size 4-5 Zanny T jumper with size 4 l/sleeve T. The jumper is a little crumpled as it has been in the bottom of my knitting bag for about 3 months waiting for me to sew it together. On my screen it looks an orangey-red, but in actual fact both are more like a deeper tomato red.

Sorry Anne, I know technically it is not long-sleeved...but the T-shirt is.........  :)) ......and I did knit it before I realised the challenge was going to be aimed at long sleeved items.  :)))))))))))

I also did not leave the bottom of the sleeves unsewn as recommended by Carol, but I had made the sleeves an extra inch deeper as I thought they didn't look comfortably big enough to incorporate long sleeves worn underneath.

Kathy Platts posted this wonderful Go-Over in the Photos section and I am just moving it here.  Here are her comments

Patons DK throughout, 4mm needles. The plain pink and green match colours in the stripes. 32inch chest, 20inch length, 14inch arms. I decided to make this Go-Over with strips rather than squares (less making up at the end!) and play around with stitches to creature texture. I really enjoyed making it this way!

Go-Over - January Challenge

Here's my Heather Winter Warmer jumper for the challenge, using the revised pattern. I love this as it's really quick to knit. The shop didn't have much colour choice in chunky yarn, so I had to work with what they had, but I like the way this has turned out. The marigold yellow is really bright against the dark red and dark green. I still have a few ends to sew in, but it's nearly done. 

Posted by Diane Burns in Photos today

Kathy's Cozy Jumper no. 4 (revised pattern)

Just moving this over here from Photos

No sew Go OverAdded by Christine Chiplen on January 2, 2014 at 6:25am

Another chunky Go Over. 32"chest, 20" long, 15"arm length.

No sew Go Over

And here's another gorgeous G-O posted by Christine in Photos

No sew Go Over

Added by Christine Chiplen on January 2, 2014 at 6:20am

A chunky Go Over, 32"chest, 20" long, 15" arm length.( I realise the photo makes the Go over look smaller than it is).

No sew Go Over

Chunky Go Over

Added by Christine Chiplen on January 2, 2014 at 1:55pm

A smaller G-O this time: 29" chest, 19" length, 15"sleeves. This one isn't a 'no sew' as I divided the front too early, as my mind was busy with Christmas preparations, but my hands were busy crocheting

Chunky Go Over

Happy New Year to everyone!  I see that there are already beautiful sweaters, go-overs, etc. being made.  Great job!!  These are my first squares for 2014.

I started off the year being very good about stash busting....but my local yarn store had some beautiful fluo yarn in just before Christmas and I just had to buy some.

The colours don't come out too well. The orange colour is really a super fluo pink.

Purple and green Go-Over using ChainStitch squares for the front and back.

RSS

KNIT-A-SQUARE SOUTH AFRICA

DONATE DIRECTLY to

KNIT-A-SQUARE SA

Monthly donation:

Image result for please images

Please go directly to the Donate page HERE as the Subscribe button below is experiencing difficulties !

[To view other options, Click on Option 1]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One time donation:

FINANCIAL REPORT

Since the start of our appeal in March 2017 we have raised $17484.

This is really helping to give KAS financial stability

Thank you all !!!

Link : LATEST KAS FINANCIAL UPDATE 

SHOP

VISIT THE KAS SHOP

HERE

KAS MERCHANDISE

CLICK HERE

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK

here 

HELPFUL HINTS

New to the forum?

Please click on

HELPFUL HINTS tab

at the top of this  

page

HAVE A QUESTION?             

Please click here

SQUARES LIST

The April 2017 Squares List is available.

Please visit the website http://www.knit-a-square.com and click on "Received Squares"

© 2017   Created by Sandy McDonald.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service