Square Circle Forum

JANUARY 2014(to April 2014) CHALLENGE - LONG SLEEVED GARMENTS

JANUARY CHALLENGE - LONG SLEEVED GARMENTS and

SQUARES, SQUARES, SQUARES   

Knit-a-Square has declared 2014

THE YEAR OF THE SQUARE

Always our top priority is to provide blankets, blankets and more blankets!

We have set ourselves a lofty goal with our ongoing challenge REACHING THE HEIGHTS FOR THE CHILDREN. Please help us reach the top of Table Mountain in Cape Town, South Africa by adding your squares to the tally here      

JANUARY (to April) CHALLENGE - LONG SLEEVED GARMENTS

In addition to blankets, there is a real need this year for long sleeved garments for the children.  Because these garments take longer to make, and because anything mailed by April 30 will be sure to reach South Africa in time for the next cold season, this challenge will remain open for four months.  your garments do NOT have to be made by the end of January, so please keep making and posting them here even when the next challenges start.

You will find several KAS designed and approved patterns in the Pattern Book here.

These are boxy sweaters, knitted or crocheted, with very generous armholes, so that children can wear them as an outer garment over their

other clothes

We also welcome sweaters made from commercial patterns, but would greatly appreciate roomy raglan sleeves and stretchy neck openings to accomodate layering of clothing underneath. Jumpers made by Sylvia (Wendy's Mom), are good examples.

PLEASE NOTE - MOST OF THE GARMENT PATTERNS IN THE PATTERN BOOK HAVE BEEN REVISED  . WE HAVE ADJUSTED THE PATTERNS TO PROVIDE BETTER FITTING NECK OPENINGS, LONGER SLEEVES AND LONGER BODY LENGTH.

PLEASE PRINT OFF THE NEW PATTERNS BEFORE MAKING YOUR GARMENTS.

SPECIAL NOTE - Some of us know knitters who make garments for us who are not on the Forum and may be working from the unrevised patterns. If you know someone like this, would you please help us 'spread the word' by providing them with a copy of the REVISED patterns

KAS GO-VER - a pattern for people who have never made a garment, or just like making squares, either knitted or crocheted. It is so easy, anyone can make it, and is roomy enough to fit over other clothing. Pattern for Knitted version here    Crochet version is   here

KATHY'S COSY JUMPER - a wonderful roomy knitted sweater, slightly more advanced , but still very simple. Pattern is here

CHAIN STITCH HEXAGON SWEATER - slightly more advanced, but still simple crocheted garment.  Fun to make! Pattern is   here

STRIPES AND TRIANGLES GO-OVER - for slightly more advanced crocheters, thisG-O is not only beautiful, it fits extremey well. Pattern can be found  here

HEATHER'S WINTER WARMER - a very pretty knitted sweater with roomy raglan sleeves. - slightly tighter fit, but wonderful for under Go-Overs or light jackets. Pattern is  here

KASCUDDLES - always welcome and in demand.  This is our version of a baby sleep sack (it can be knitted or crocheted)  which should fit a child up to the age of 9 months. Since many of our little ones sleep on the floor, the KASCUDDLE is more effective than a baby blanket which can be kicked off.  It is also useful for during the day on cold winter days. Knitted version here   Crochet version here

The Pinterest page for this challenge can be found at

http://www.pinterest.com/anne1464/long-sleeved-sweaters-knit-a-squa...

Our JANUARY CHALLENGE PHOTO ALBUM  can be found at

http://forum.knit-a-square.com/photo/albums/january-2014-long-sleev...

ALBUM # 2 can be found at

http://forum.knit-a-square.com/photo/albums/album-2-january-to-apri...

Views: 15312

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'll start us off with this crocheted Go-Over in variegated and turquoise.  This was made using the REVISED pattern in the pattern book.  As mentioned above, we have revised most of the garment patterns - please be sure to print off the new versions before starting your garments.

I love the Go-Over Anne, what beautiful colors!  Thanks so much for showing us all the appropriate patterns right here on this page...I was just about to go over to the Patterns page when I saw this lovely listing.  My next problem will be deciding which pattern to do!  But what a wonderful quandary to be in.  I'm looking forwards to this challenge very much and shall start today. 

Thanks Jeanne!  When I posted the challenge, I tried to add links to each individual pattern, but Ning is grumpy today (or I am incompetent) and wouldn't co-operate. I prefer to blame Ning!  In any case, the patterns are easy enough to find in the Pattern Book, and I hope everyone will check for the revisions. 

I am doing a red Go-Over. Red and ?  I have yet to decide the second color.

Good for you, Jeanne.  May I suggest white ... or yellow ... or blue ... or green ... or grey ... or beige ... or ..... LOL  Whatever you choose will be just fabulous, I'm sure.  Good luck with it xo

I'm doing a dark red and cream jumper knitted together with a dull yellow acrylic mohair strand (put a photo of the yellow up in early NYear). Striped body with red/yellow sleeves. It was going to be for a boy, but when I pulled the red out again to start it, I realised it has a silver thread running through it, so now not sure!!

Thanks for the color combo ideas girls, as I'm still not decided on what the second color will be, it's quite a bright red. 

Love the colors here, Anne.  What a beautiful, bright and happy sweater to keep a little one warm and comfy!

One of my favourite colours, Anne - gorgeous - and it look so warm and snuggly, too.

Maybe not the right place to ask but here goes - I'm new to the forum and to crocheting.  Trying to do the No Sew Crochet Slip Over but am confused. 

Row 2: 2 ch.(counts as first hdc here and throughout). 1 hdc in first hdc then work (2 hdc 1 ch 2
hdc) in 1 ch. space. 1 hdc in each of next 11 hdc. (2 hdc 1 ch 2 hdc) into 1 ch space at corner. 1
hdc into each of next 28 hdc (2 hdc 1 ch 2 hdc) into 1 ch space at corner. 1 hdc into each of next
11 hdc. (2 hdc 1 ch 2 hdc) in next 1 ch space. 1 hdc into each of next 2 hdc. Sl st to top of ch.

Above is row 2 of the pattern - should the underlined section not read 1hdc into each of next 28 hdc??? or have I got the whole story wrong? 

Please help.  Many thanks

Anneline, thanks for catching the typo. Sorry about that ! It should read 28 hdc. I'll make the change in the pattern. We'd love to see a photo do the completed slip-over.

Hi Linda, many thanks.  As I said I'm new to the crocheting business (only learnt how to last year from scratch off you tube - granny squares), so this is my first big project.  Going slow but I'l  keep at it.  Don't be surprised to see another post from me when stuck.

RSS

NEWS FLASH !

24 October 2014

ATTENTION PEOPLE WHO LIKE TO SEW !

The KAS Pattern book has added a new category and the first item is a lovely fleece Cuddle by Lillian White.

Click HERE for the pattern

Donations

Make a monthly donation:

Or make a one-time donation:

SQUARE SHOP

Donation Cards

CLICK HERE 

to show your friends or family how important they are to you, by helping to support children who may have lost the people who were important to them.

cards-4

PATTERN REVISIONS !

A NOTE ABOUT OUR PATTERN REVISIONS AND WHY THEY ARE IMPORTANT

This photo shows some excellent vests with good body length and generous armholes.  We are recommending having armholes 1/3, side seam 2/3 of total body length. 

To read more go to : 

Pattern Revisions

KasBlog

Read the latest KasBlog from Andrea :

A SQUARE CAN BE
SO MUCH MORE

Please click here

Ronda on the Radio!

20th June 2014

LISTEN TO RONDA !

Ronda was interviewed live on Radio Veritas at 08h30 on 20th. Tune in to 576MW or DSTV channel 870

Direct Link

click on the sound symbol on the left side of moving grey line!

© 2014   Created by Sandy McDonald.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service