If you wish to add a pattern for a hat you have made, please insert it at the end of this discussion and include a photo with the pattern.
We ask that you do not just include links to patterns online that you have not actually tried.

** PLEASE MAKE SURE TO MAKE HATS LARGE ENOUGH TO FIT CHILDREN 4 YEARS AND UP - REMEMBER THAT A CHILD OF 4 HAS ALMOST AN ADULT SIZED HEAD*****

You need to be a member of Square Circle Forum to add comments!

Join Square Circle Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• CLEVER HAT PATTERN..........  ITHAS COME TO MY ATTENTION THAT THE PATTERN I POSTED HAS HAD 55cm pencilled on pattern.     This must have been added by someone adjusting for an adult.  PLEASE IGNORE THE 55 cm......the hat is perfect size for child when knitted to 40 cm as per pattern instruction.....( photo of my 5 yo grandson modelling one in "Celestial Sensarions).        Sorry I didn't pick up the pattern glitch before uploading to this page

• Thank you very much Susanne! ❤️.  I know what I'm going to knit today ✅

• 2965086144?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024This is the pattern I have used for the last two hats posted.. modelled by Ted E Bear and Grissel Lee Bear his friend.. the hats will fit 4 years and up because they go on my head but will fit beautifully a childs head being slightly stretched to fit mine.. I have a small head so they should be perfect for the children...

Hat pattern.jpg

• 2965297912?profile=RESIZE_320x320A very simple beanie suitable for beginner knitters to make:

Square Beanie

Materials & Equipment:

Approximately 60 grams of 8 ply acrylic knitting yarn.  One pair 4mm Knitting needles. Sewing Needle.

Body:

Cast on 88 stitches. Row 1: Knit to end of row. Next row: Knit every row until work measures 20 centimetres (8 inches).

Shape crown:

Next row: K2 together to end of row. (44 stitches). Next row: K2 together to end of row (22 stitches). Next Row: K2 together (11 stitches).

Cut yarn leaving a length of approx 50 centimetres. With a large eyed yarn needle thread this tail through the remaining stitches, gather up tightly & secure. Use this thread to join the back seam on the wrong side of the work. Fasten off neatly & darn in ends. Add a pompom or tassel if you wish.

• Thanks, Christine, for posting this pattern!   So simple and so cute!

It looks like it would fit well and I like that it is not too long.  Here in Canada, we call these toques.  Often they are made longer so a 'cuff'' can be folded back.  Sometimes when I look at the distribution photos, I cringe a bit when I see the kids in toques that are meant to have the fold-back, but are just plopped on their heads with a great gob of empty hat sticking way up from the top of their heads.  Hopefully, after the chaos of the day, someone figures out that the hat would fit better if folded back into a cuff.

I like this hat, with its shorter length, because it solves the problem of too-big beanies.

• 2965297958?profile=RESIZE_320x320

You could make it any length, couldn't you. The one above is in a self-striping yarn but if more experienced knitters want to play with the pattern it's very easy to do so. I was just trying to avoid using any shaping so if a beginner could make a square they  could move on and make  a hat.

Wendy made the one on the right -

http://forum.knit-a-square.com/photo/pink-purple-beanie-july-2015?c...

•  

Sharon B.'s JBRP crochet hat pattern (also available in the beaded version)

DK yarn on a 4mm - 5mm crochet hook

Round 1:  Ch 5 and join with a slip stitch in first ch to form ring. Ch2, (do not count as first dc from now on), 12 dc in ring. Join with a slip stitch in first dc. (12 stitches)

Round 2:  Ch 2, 2 dc in each stitch. Join with a slip stitch in first dc. (24 stitches)

Round 3:  Ch 2, (dc in next st, 2 dc in next st), repeat around. Join with slip stitch in first dc. (36 stitches)

Round 4:  Ch 2, (dc in next 2 st, 2 dc in next st), repeat around. Join with slip stitch in first dc. (48 stitches)

Round 5:  Ch 2, (dc in next 3 st, 2 dc in next st), repeat around. Join with a slip stitch in first dc. (60 stitches)

Round 6-14:  Ch 2, dc in each st around. Join with a slip stitch in first dc.

Round 15:  Ch 1, reverse sc in each st (be sure to skip the stitch made by the slip stitch). Do not join, you will have a nearly invisible join if you fasten off and weave in end.

Beaded hat:

As above for 11 rounds.  Cut yarn and string 30 beads.

Round 12:  Ch 1, sc in each st around. Join with a slip stitch in first sc. (60 stitches)

Round 13:  ch 2, hdc in same st as join, move up one bead to the hook, ch 1 skip next sc, *hdc in next sc,
                          move up 1 bead to hook, ch1, skip next sc* repeat
    around to last bead of round. On last bead of round omit the chain 1, skip ch 2 and join in first hdc.  (30 beads)

Round 14:  ch 1, sc in same stitch as join, sc in ch 1 over each bead and in each hdc around, skip ch 1 and
                         join with a slip stitch in first sc.

Round 15:  ch 2, dc in each st around. Join with a slip stitch in first dc.

Round 16:  Ch 1 reverse sc as in round 15 above.

2930202206?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

2965047630?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

• Thanks so much for posting this pattern, Gitta.  I would love to try the beaded version sometime. No worries about losing beads since they are crocheted right in!

• The pattern is so easy and so quick :) Thanks for reminding me that I wanted to go shopping for beads today, but I totally forgot about it :(

This reply was deleted.