What's on Your Needles and Hooks in October 2024

What's on your Needles and Hooks in October 2024?

There is loads of colourful inspiration around us at this time. In the northern hemisphere it is Fall/Autumn......reds, browns,oranges and yellows, to name a few

12984358458?profile=RESIZE_400x

12984358277?profile=RESIZE_400x

and....
in the southern hemisphere it is Spring.....all the colours of the rainbow

12984359062?profile=RESIZE_400x

And if that is not inspo enough,
the CoM (colour of the month) is.....
PINK!!

12984448877?profile=RESIZE_400x

Go hard....go crazy....let's see what ya' got. laughing

You need to be a member of Square Circle Forum to add comments!

Join Square Circle Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• This is a story I feel I can only share with avid knitters and crochet ladies. Last week I developed a terrible pain in my right shoulder. A pain level of 12out of 10. I tried everything , but it got worse. I ended up in Emergency over our Thanksgiving weekend. As I have a Auto Immune disease I was tested and checked for a reoccurrence. Blood tests etc. all was normal. They then decided it must be a blood clot in my lung. Tests negative. We were supposed to leave on holiday yesterday for The Grand Canyon and then the Phoenix. On Drs orders cancelled the trip. Now for the final diagnosis, it's certainly not something I wanted to hear. BURSITIS in my shoulder due to OVER KNITTING . I knit in 3 different groups a week. Give sock knitting lessons once a week.Not to mention doing my serious knitting at home. I'm known as a thrower knitter which doesn't help either.  Cortisone injection and no more than 5 minutes knitting a day. You can see that my Dr isn't a knitter. Not vacation and no knitting. Can it get any worse ?.

• Aw Pat, feeling so very sorry for you. What a bummer!!!

My friend had bursitis in her hip a few years back and it certainly sounds dreadful.

Wow! No more than five minutes knitting, your fingers must be twitching. My knitting time this month has been virtually non existent and I know I'm getting a little tetchy.

I do so hope that things improve soon and you are able to take your trip. Sending big hugs. xoxo

• Pat, I've had this song in my head ever since reading your post this afternoon. I hope you get to Phoenix soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMb681nTLIo

• Do you knit English style?  I used to but my late Mom showed me Norwegian style (Continental) and it made a tremendous difference.  There is so much less movement in hands and almost none in the shoulders.  Also less stress in the shoulders and neck.  At first it felt so strange but now I very rarely use the English method.  Hope your bursitis goes away and soon.  

(I had a bad fall with a spinal fracture and injured muscles. 85 days in hospital. I could not move even my hands or arms at first.  I nearly went mad because I couldn't KNIT !  I actually grabbed my knitting bag as I was being taken to emergency.  It's called priorities! I ended up knitting 3 1/2 Teddies in the hospital with all the nurses, caregivers and food helpers stopping to check on the progress.  I told them all about KAS.  KAS kept me sane I'm sure.)

• Hi Arlene. I have sent you some pics and links from Estelle and myself that I hope will help you sew your blanket together. xo

The anticipation of said blanket is killing me....but NO PRESSURE.....hahaha.

Don't overdo it, I want you to make a full recovery.  :))

• So sorry to hear that Pat and Arlene. I'm having the same problem sewing the squares together and crocheting borders. Shoulder, inside the elbow and wrist pains. It takes me forever to complete a blanket these days. 

• Pat and Arlene, I am sooo sorry to hear your horror stories of pain and lack of movement.   I can only imagine how awful you felt.   

At times in the past, I have given myself tendonitis in both thumbs, one wrist and one elbow.   Even that severely cramps my yarn usage, but it was nothing compared to what you two are describing.    I seriously hope you are both doing better, and can manage to continue knitting without doing damage to your body.   

I agree with Arlene's suggestion to try Continental style knitting.   I originally learned English (throw) style where I was very awkward and slow, with lots of hand, finger, wrist movement, but learned Continental style many years ago, and found it is faster because of less wasted movement.   It isn't faster in the beginning while developing the muscle memory, but eventually works well.   At that time, I also learned to crochet left-handed, very awkward and uneven, but at least it didn't hurt.   At least it will change the movements that cause problems, I think?

Good luck and take care of yourselves.

• I'm so sorry to hear this, Pat. Trying a different style of knitting does seem to offer a ray of hope.

• You may not be a pink fan Sharon but you sure have picked a winner with this yarn. You are going so make some little girl so happy and one big girl called Bev very happy with your choice of pink. I'm knitting a cap at the moment with 2 strands and have pulled it out. I had caught up the one strand and it was somehow in the front of my knitting. Thank goodness is a cap and not a whole blanket I have to contend with.

• Oh Pat, sending you the biggest virtual hug imaginable. I know how that feels and is the reason I avoid knitting in double strand where possible. The times I have had to pull undone knitting because one strand somehow got snagged/left behind/skipped a stitch....shudder, shudder, frown frown.....

This reply was deleted.