KNIT-A-SQUARE WISH LIST 2018
Over the years Knit-a-Square has grown rather organically and kindhearted members have been sending an ever increasing variety of goodies, but it has become essential for Knit-a-Square to have an appraisal and re-evaluate its whole approach in order for the office team to comfortably handle the number of items arriving.
In future Knit-a-Square will ONLY be able to distribute squares, assembled blankets, hats, hand-warmers and cuddly toys. All other items, as mentioned below, will be distributed through a third-party and not directly by KAS.
The focus for the coming year, and for some time to come will be :
Squares for blankets - Hats & Hand-warmers - Cuddly Toys
In order to make life easier for the office team we need the following assistance :
- In the correct size - 8x8inches (20x20cm)
- With little tails sewn in, and the long tails butterflied and secured, Link : How to secure the tail of a square
- Please do not wrap the squares in plastic cling wrap - they arrive smelly!
- Bundled into square packs of 35 if there are enough of them.
- You are welcome to sew your squares into blankets of 5x7 squares (see chart at bottom of the page) but must only declare that your package contains knitted squares. [Crocheters often find it easier to crochet the squares into strips and then crochet the strips together.]
HATS & BEANIES
- Ronda mentioned that the ribbed hats are the best as they grow with the child. Sizing - if it fits the knitter then it will fit the child comfortably.
- However, please avoid square hats, as for some reason the children get ridiculed for having "ears"!
- Again hand-warmers that are ribbed are comfortable and grow with the child.
- Please place one hand-warmer inside the other in order to keep them together.
- Please avoid tying them together or using safety pins as these must be removed prior to distribution and it is fiddly and time consuming.
- The children absolutely adore receiving their own personal 'present' of a cuddly toy - and they bring joy beyond measure for so many children who have never experienced the wonder of "ownership".
- Hand knitted toys or store bought toys are welcome, but all price tags must be removed to avoid customs problems.
- Second hand toys are accepted as long as they are in good condition.
ADDITIONAL ITEMS THAT ARE WELCOME
- Yarn - we always need yarn to sew together and edge the blankets.
- Yarn needles - we always need these for sewing the blankets - both plastic and metal are great.
- Crochet hooks - 4.0mm (US size G/6, UK/Canadian size 8) for edging the blankets so they remain strong.
- We do not need any more knitting needles at this stage - we have a box full!
GENERAL POSTING & PACKING NEEDS
- Completing the Packing Slip is a huge help to the team at the office - thank you. Here is the link to the discussion page where you will find 3 documents including a large print version listed on the bottom left : Revised Packing Slip
- The new message to be printed on parcels is :
BONA FIDE GIFT
NO COMMERCIAL VALUE
- Customs Ticket - please only write a value of '0' or '1' - anything higher will result in Knit-a-Square being charged duties, which they well cannot afford, resulting in parcels being returned to customs authorities for re-assessment. THIS can result in non-receipt in the long run.
- Please do not register or insure your parcels - it automatically assumes a "monetary value" on the parcel and this is what causes the problems with SA Customs & Excise!
- Please continue to use the usual address at Bryanston, as this branch is re-opening in a new location on 21st December!
MANY THANKS FOR YOUR CONTINUED SUPPORT
AND CARING HEARTS!